Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wednesday

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
UK
I am trying to find out why Apple sent me an email touting Applecare for my iPod, then refused to let me register the policy after I bought it. I've written more about it here: http://inthedeargreenplace.blogspot.com

Every time I write to them, I get an abrupt letter back saying phone the call centre.

Why on earth does a computer company refuse to provide an email address to deal with customer enquiries? Why do US customers get an email address to write to and UK customers don't? Are we second class or something? I can't be the only person in the country who prefers to use email for correspondence, surely.

Doesn't anyone else think that this refusal to provide an email address is ridiculous? Where can I find an email address for someone in Apple who will actually provide some customer service and answer my questions?

MacPanda

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
Don't bother with Apple UK.

i know the feeling wednesday to be honest i am trying to get hold of them Natalie Basil is Apple UK manager - she is a total crap bitch - i got treated liked crap in the Apple store they sold me a refurb by accident and "she was a meeting" when i asked to speak to her - so i said i would wait - she said she was too busy to see me :( i am gonna go to apple's board of directors about this. Don't bother with Apple UK. Call up directly Cupertino and speak go to Executive Relations.

best wishes with your applecare problem,

macpanda

Natalie Basil is supposed to be the head of Apple UK i am told.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Why on earth does a computer company refuse to provide an email address to deal with customer enquiries? Why do US customers get an email address to write to and UK customers don't?

Apple does not promote Executive Relations in the United States etiher. You won't find information about e-mailing Steve Jobs on Apple's support page, and it's not considered an official support method. However, it some cases (not all) it does appear to work.

In your case, you purchased AppleCare for iPod without checking your original warranty first. Apple will sell AppleCare for iPod to anyone, whether or not they even own an iPod.

Executive Relations is not for people who have simple problem, a return, order status question or basic troubleshooting. It's for people that have dealt with phone support and customer relations, and still have not received a resolution. It's a last resort, not the first.

By the way, Executive Relation is not limited to the United States. You may e-mail sjobs@apple.com with your problem. However, most instances are handled by a CSR from AppleCare in your country anyway to resolve the problem. However, the CSR is given special permission to go above-and-beyond normal support for replacements, etc.

Wednesday

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
UK
Apple does not promote Executive Relations in the United States etiher. You won't find information about e-mailing Steve Jobs on Apple's support page, and it's not considered an official support method. However, it some cases (not all) it does appear to work.

What I meant was that there is a general email address on the Apple US website for customers to make enquiries. I wouldn't think for one minute that emailing the co-creator of the company would be an official support method :p However, if it's the only thing that is going to get me a proper explanation.....

In your case, you purchased AppleCare for iPod without checking your original warranty first.

Er, what makes you think that? I knew when I'd purchased the iPod and had a rough idea of when the 12 month warranty was coming to an end. What I object to is Apple sending me emails telling me to buy Applecare but not qualifying their advertising with some terms and conditions.

Executive Relations is not for people who have simple problem, a return, order status question or basic troubleshooting. It's for people that have dealt with phone support and customer relations, and still have not received a resolution. It's a last resort, not the first.

Well, yes. And if I had a technical query or an order enquiry I'd happily call this number that they're so keen on pushing at me. Unfortunately, I have sent them three written complaints and they are refusing to give me a satisfactory answer.

Wednesday

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
UK
So I'm confused why can't you use the warranty on your second iPod? Did you not buy it until it was over a year old?

That certainly would appear to be the case. However, I bought the warranty after receiving an email from Apple saying there was only a short time left to do so. I was certain that this was within the 12 month period, but maybe it had expired by the time I tried to register the warranty? I don't know. And Apple don't seem to want to tell me.

This has become a secondary issue to the customer care though. If and when the hard drive on the iPod dies, I'll buy a Creative Zen instead, or anything with a shelf-life of longer than a year or two.

All I'm trying to do now is a) to get an explanation from them about why they punt things to people knowing full well that they'll be wasting their money, and b) to have a full written response to my complaints, which I think I'm entitled to.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
How terribly responsible of them.

In this case, Apple sent you an e-mail reminding you to purchase AppleCare. Admittedly, you are not sure whether or not by the time you got around to purchasing the AppleCare your iPod still qualified. As the consumer, it's your responsibility to know if your iPod qualifies for extended support.

I purchased AppleCare for iPod for a family member as a present. Should Apple have verified that my brother's iPod was eligible for AppleCare? No, that's my responsibility.

AppleCare is sold just like any other product (iLife, Mac OS X). In fact, many people at MacRumors purchase AppleCare on eBay from sellers that receive the retail product in bulk (receiving large discounts on the product). What if I want to purchase 20 AppleCare's and sell them on eBay? Should Apple limit my purchases just because I don't have 20 eligible iPods? No.

What's next? Apple should verify if the copy of iLife 06 you purchased from them will work on your specific computer? Aperture should only be sold to customers with core-image enabled video cards? You should be required to fax information about your TV before purchasing Apple TV? Come on.

At least in the United States, Apple does offer verification. AppleCare support will allow you to purchase and register AppleCare over the phone. If you select that option, the Apple Rep. will verify your product's eligibility status and register AppleCare for you.

But that's not the option you selected. Out of curiosity, why won't you call customer service directly?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
What I meant was that there is a general email address on the Apple US website for customers to make enquiries. I wouldn't think for one minute that emailing the co-creator of the company would be an official support method :p However, if it's the only thing that is going to get me a proper explanation.....

Where is the so-called general inquiry e-mail address? It's not on Apple's "Contact Us" Web page, http://www.apple.com/contact/.

The only reason "we" know about sjobs@apple.com is because some members (including me) have used it for special cases.

Apple does not offer e-mail-based support. Period. Now, that's a legitimate complaint. But, complaining that Apple UK is lacking a support method that Apple US receives is incorrect.

Unofficially, executive relations exists, but it's available to all Apple customers including the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.