Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meigo1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
hello,

I have a strange request, for burning Audio-CDs ... usually it's the faster the better, but I have a really old hi-fi cd player and it kind of struggles with CD-Rs burnt with 16x ... I have a Plextor Writer. older burnt CDs are no problem and work fine. obviously they've been burnt at lower speed.

does anyone of you know by any chance what's the minimum speed the Apple USB superdrive can write to CD-Rs? setting it in Toast Titanium or even in iTunes...

my Plextor seems to be limited going down to 16x for CD-Rs.

do you know any other external or SATA internal dvd/cd writers that support lower writing speeds for CD-Rs? 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x,

thanks for any help
all the best
michael

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What software are you using to burn your CD's?

I use either Toast or "Simply Burns".

I have a 2013-vintage Samsung USB CD/DVD/Bluray burner, and Toast gives me a full choice of speeds (all the way down to 1x).

It -could be- your Plextor burner.
How old is it?

meigo1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
hello

thanks for answering

my plextor burner is about four years old. its the PX-L890SA ...

do you have the possibility to choose, and are all speeds in bold? because I can choose down to 1x, but its only bold til 16x. my burner can't burn CD-Rs slower than 16x...

meigo1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
okay

solved, kind of

I've bought the
LG GH20NS10
from a pawn-shop. old LG burner, nothing fancy. but it has SATA and does the job. I can write CDs now in 4x 2x 1x. 4x and the CD is working perfectly on my philips CD 753 player. with CD-text...

so the 16x burning was really the problem...

thanks
all the best
michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.