Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Who cares what the back of a phone looks like.

There is no way to deny that going all plastic will greatly improve signal reception. An aluminum phone was a terrible idea from the start.

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Who cares what the back of a phone looks like.

There is no way to deny that going all plastic will greatly improve signal reception. An aluminum phone was a terrible idea from the start.

You cannot be serious?

You must be the guy that would rather drive a Ford Fiesta than a Bentley Continental GT, ...just because.

I like quality, and plastic does not ooze quality, it oozes cheapness.

I use a RAZR as a back up phone and it gets as good if not better reception than any plastic phone.

Some of you Apple Fan Boys/Girls just do not get it. Some of us will not accept half-ass quality products.

I admit I have not touched the new 3G version Iphone, yet, but I am doubting it will be as nice as the first one.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I hope this isn't true, and guess we won't really know until the reviews come out.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Market share. Think about it. Jobs has wall street breathing down his neck, he needs more units sold. Trust me, I know.

As for this not being a budget phone, it is.

-Cheaper screen
-Cheaper back (I do not want to hear better reception, that is an excuse not a reason)
-No dock

What is next? No AC adapter?

You, sir, know balls. Steve Jobs has no pressure from shareholders - Apple has been on an upward path ever since he came back. They've built an immense loyal fan-base, brought in exciting and industry-shattering products, and are making record amounts of money, at a time where all non-essential goods are slowing. They have $18bn in the bank. Apple have never had a better time (financially). They have so much confidence, they can aggressively move in to new and extremely competitive markets. Steve Jobs has nothing to prove any more.

The lack of a dock is typical for later generation Apple products. The iPods don't come with docks, either (or at least they didn't when I bought a 5G one). And about the plastic back: plastic can be very strong. You haven't felt it, so don't judge it. This isn't going to be milk tray plastic - it's probably polycarbonate (like on the MacBooks). Oh, and it probably is for signal reception - engineers make decisions based on features and quality, not how things look to internet morons.

xploit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Listen if you are an original iPhone owner and you use the internet a lot and in areas where wifi is not available and 3g is, and if you get lost while walking, then I guess this new 3g is good for you!

If you are not the above and found the 1st iPhone to be too expensive then take a basic math class and come to the realization that this one is actually more money overtime then the first one.

If you are a fanboy then go camp out for a phone that will be plenty available.

If none of the above is you and you simply have to have the latest wares then go buy it.

HOWEVER, IF you bought the first iPhone because it was different and gorgeous and well packaged with quality going into the included dock and well made plug. And even though 3G and GPS was available on other models you understood that apple made things with better materials and better aesthetics. You are now disappointed because apple has introduced a new 3G and the aluminum is now plastic, the dock gone, the plug generic, the body curved and thicker in the center. You still can't video or send pictures to phones, and now it costs more a month. What a bargain! Not to say anything about the possible screen degrade.

X-

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I don't fully understand that if Apple is charging $199 for 8GB, and AT&T is subsidizing $200 (which seems to add up to $399), how are they lowering the price to make it cheaper?
Maybe trying to make more profit.
And as for AT&T.... They were 'Revenue Sharing' before, and they raised their Data and Messaging fees.....
Well, the ones that will only get EDGE are going to be paying dearly for the Cell Tower Upgrades to 3G for the City Boys.
But we were not guaranteed that this world would be fair. Especially when it comes to Apple and AT&T. Almost sounds like Microsoft strategy.
It's not cheaper, really. AT&T is paying $200 out of pocket for each iPhone bought. They get that $200 back, plus more over the life of our 2-year contract we sign up for.

witchdrash

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
Meh all *yawn* having compared my touch to several first gen iPhones there are no discernible differences in screen quality, the some of the first batch of iPod Touches had a nasty screen defect which is long gone.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Listen if you are an original iPhone owner and you use the internet a lot and in areas where wifi is not available and 3g is, and if you get lost while walking, then I guess this new 3g is good for you!

If you are not the above and found the 1st iPhone to be too expensive then take a basic math class and come to the realization that this one is actually more money overtime then the first one.

If you are a fanboy then go camp out for a phone that will be plenty available.

X-

You're explanation is BUDGET! BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET!>>>WAHHHHHHHH WAHHH BUDGET! (p.s. i'm cool)

Requiemm

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
You must be the guy that would rather drive a Ford Fiesta than a Bentley Continental GT, ...just because.

OK, I have to take issue with this purely because the simile doesn't represent the situation.

Since the innards are the same a better simile would be to say something like:

"You must be the guy that would rather drive a Honda Pilot than an Acura MDX, ...just because."

This would be more apropro Since the Acura MDX is the same basic vehicle as the Honda Pilot with some nicer finishing touches and options. The engine, power train and chassis are the same.

Sorry for the interruption, I now return you to your wild speculation on how a device none of us has really seen or help is cheap or not cheap based solely on a few scraps of possibly erroneous information........

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
But....not Apple engineers apparently, Macbook air anyone?;)

Light weight with a full-sized keyboard is VERY BIG "feature" for some people. Up until now they've been using miniature keyboards in order to get a light laptop. Coming from that a Macbook Air is a big step up.

So they looked at a particular market and gave them the features they wanted.

So what's your point?

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Why hasn't this thread been closed!!
Xploit, we get the idea now, you think it's cheap/budget/crappy looking/ugly etc etc, how about drop it because this thread has turned into one of those pointless internet fights you see in chat rooms, which, more often than not, is a bunch of school kids.....

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
oh yeah, and anyone who buys a BUDGET 3G iPhone is poor and low class and, well, uh, BUDGET. Plastic is lame, and, uh, BUDGET. Metal rules and is not, uh, BUDGET, yeah, that's right BUDGET. I don't own a single polymer based item in my house or in my car because it is cheap cheap cheap. Sure my car is super heavy and does 0 to 60 in a day and a half, but it is QUALITY, not BUDGET.

uh huh!

Antares

macrumors 68000
I have no idea what people are talking about. I have an iPod Touch and the screen looks and works great. I see no difference in quality from my cousin's ver. 1 iPhone and my Touch. When you do comparisons, make sure the brightness/contrast is set at the same level on both devices. :confused:

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
You, sir, know balls. Steve Jobs has no pressure from shareholders - Apple has been on an upward path ever since he came back. They've built an immense loyal fan-base, brought in exciting and industry-shattering products, and are making record amounts of money, at a time where all non-essential goods are slowing. They have $18bn in the bank. Apple have never had a better time (financially). They have so much confidence, they can aggressively move in to new and extremely competitive markets. Steve Jobs has nothing to prove any more.

The lack of a dock is typical for later generation Apple products. The iPods don't come with docks, either (or at least they didn't when I bought a 5G one). And about the plastic back: plastic can be very strong. You haven't felt it, so don't judge it. This isn't going to be milk tray plastic - it's probably polycarbonate (like on the MacBooks). Oh, and it probably is for signal reception - engineers make decisions based on features and quality, not how things look to internet morons.

It is quite obvious that you do not follow the stock market. Ask Steve what happened last fall when they released nothing.....his price was almost cut in half. He cares about investors, and investors care about what Apple is doing to win over more market share.

brandonzar

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
This thread is a train wreck! I don't want to read it and yet I keep coming back for more. Awesomely stupid.

X2 :)

And for the record xploit, plastic isn't a crappy material to make things out of. It is a great material that has shaped our high technology society.

timimbo85

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Chicago
I think its funny this is an argument, I think the back plastic will be like the mighty mouse, its pretty strong and durable.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
But....not Apple engineers apparently, Macbook air anyone?;)

Well, the MacBook Air design totally concentrates on the features. That is on the features that the company wanted: Very thin, very light, full size keyboard, full size display, looks a million dollars. That's the feature set, and that is why many people pay very ood money for it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It is quite obvious that you do not follow the stock market. Ask Steve what happened last fall when they released nothing.....his price was almost cut in half. He cares about investors, and investors care about what Apple is doing to win over more market share.

If there is one thing that Apple doesn't care about then it is their share price. Apple's goals are in this order: (1) Build items that give the best possible user experience. (2) Make plenty of money so nobody can stop them doing (1). (1) has the side effect of achieving (2), and (2) has the side effect of (3) raising the share price. But that is not a goal for Apple.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I have no idea what people are talking about. I have an iPod Touch and the screen looks and works great. I see no difference in quality from my cousin's ver. 1 iPhone and my Touch. When you do comparisons, make sure the brightness/contrast is set at the same level on both devices. :confused:

Good for you. I can confirm though from my personal experience and seeing MANY touches that the screen on my iPhone always looked better.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I would think this is all a bunch of crap if wasn't for the fact that I read reports that apple used an lower quality TN film-based matrix screen on my new imac alu 20". they started doing this on the new 20" imac to cut cost.

I sure hope this is wrong about the 3g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.