Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

david.olstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
As far as I can tell, the only connection on the Apple Vision Pro head set is the one for the battery pack. So would that mean there's no HDMI compatible input jack that would allow you to connect to the output on a Blu-Ray or 4K UHD Blu-Ray player?

wrcousert

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
I'm guessing that the battery connector is actually an industry standard USB-C connector, which would allow you to use a hub. If not, there's always the possibility of buying digital movies from iTunes, which most people probably prefer to do. I got rid of most of my physical DVD's and Blueray's years ago.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
It may be possible but someone needs to make an app for that then get it approved by Apple.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Clearly you will get 3D movies from iTunes but I wonder will app like Plex tries to do something like this.

david.olstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
I'm sure that Apple would be more than happy to have me repurchase all of the 3D movies in my collection. But who knows how many of those titles will be available in the iTunes store.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I hope there is a way to play discs to VP. Or if not, at least a full rip. Discs have significantly better quality over streaming and downloads. And that huge virtual screen needs to have the best quality video source.
It can play from a local library over wifi, right? What is quality limit that Airplay supports?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The best 3D experience will be if Apple releases 4K 3D movies in iTunes (like Avatar they demo) because to my knowledge there is no 3D 4K disc to date.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Robotronic

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Bump...

I'm interested in this now, did a little research and it seems the process to convert a 3D Blu-ray ISO to something playable like an MKV requires jumping through a ton of hoops, and using some PC-only apps. Does anyone know of an elegant Mac solution for achieving this and playing back on the Vision Pro?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It’s not possible to play Blu-rays discs on an iPad without ripping them, so I wouldn’t expect it for the AVP. Apple wants to make money with streaming. I’m not sure if third-party apps have access to an API for playing 3D video, but if they do, there will be apps soon enough that will let you play 3D BD rips. Apps like Infuse and VLC will be coming to the AVP.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Jstill71

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
The best 3D experience will be if Apple releases 4K 3D movies in iTunes (like Avatar they demo) because to my knowledge there is no 3D 4K disc to date.
OP asked about 3D Blu Ray AND 4K Blu Ray, not a 4K 3D Blu Ray.

tokyodcj

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2024
can you send me the link(s) on how to do this on a pc? i have a player and a pc as well. could play this with infuse.
I have used the instructions on the linked page, with a borrowed PC laptop, to convert all of my 3D blu-rays. I can now watch them on my Quest 2 using either Big Screen or Skybox. I've uploaded all of them to my Plex server so that I can access them that way using the Quest, but I find they play better by uploading them directly to the Quest. The 264GB Quest will hold about 20 of my 3D videos. I'm still looking for some way to watch these on a vision pro.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5q4lp7

Reactions: turbineseaplane

david.olstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Personally, I think the best we can hope for is the introduction of a UHD bluray player that can stream 4K video and 1080p 2D and 3D video directly to your AVP. I think there's enough bandwidth on wifi to do this. But I have no idea whether existing Apple software would support this. Personally, I don't have the time to convert my collection of UHD and standard Blu-Rays to files that I can store locally on my AVP. But I would love to be able to pop a disc into a player, pair the player with my AVP, open a viewing app and hit "play". Unfortunately, I not all that hopeful that Apple is going to make this any easier - I presume they'd much rather have AVP users buying or renting titles through the Apple store than using their own collection.

Reactions: subjonas

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Unfortunately, I not all that hopeful that Apple is going to make this any easier - I presume they'd much rather have AVP users buying or renting titles through the Apple store than using their own collection.
I'm afraid you are right and we will have to rely on indie products to work eh for the lack of a better word, universally or close to it. The bigger companies like Apple, Microsoft and etc...ecosystems are starting to feel like a ball and chain, lol. But we need to remember the AVP is a beta/first gen. product.
Maybe some company is working on the disk, player and headgear as we type :)

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I'm guessing that the battery connector is actually an industry standard USB-C connector, which would allow you to use a hub. If not, there's always the possibility of buying digital movies from iTunes, which most people probably prefer to do. I got rid of most of my physical DVD's and Blueray's years ago.

It’s a power only connector, no data transfer through the battery pack. There isnt even a standard data connection with the $300 developer dongle.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yes! Watched Prometheus in 3D this way - you need to do a SBS MKV rip and use the free Moon Player app

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yeah if Moon Player can play MKV rips from blu rays, this would be huge. Is this true?
It for sure can - I do own the Prometheus 3D BluRay and watched it on the PS4 Pro with PSVR1, but used this site to grab the SBS MKV file for Moon Player - to my knowledge it is an uncompressed Blu-ray rip - and it did look incredible - not sure how all the different blu rays will stack up - Tron Legacy for instance was rougher than Prometheus fidelity wise - both 1080p 3D, but Prometheus for sure looked better.

Moon Player supports both full and half SBS MKV files.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
It for sure can - I do own the Prometheus 3D BluRay and watched it on the PS4 Pro with PSVR1, but used this site to grab the SBS MKV file for Moon Player - to my knowledge it is an uncompressed Blu-ray rip - and it did look incredible - not sure how all the different blu rays will stack up - Tron Legacy for instance was rougher than Prometheus fidelity wise - both 1080p 3D, but Prometheus for sure looked better.

Moon Player supports both full and half SBS MKV files.

Ah thanks for filling us in. I have full rips that are frame packed mkv 3d files. I guess I would have to convert to a sbs format for it to play properly.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
to my knowledge there is no 3D 4K disc to date.

the process to convert a 3D Blu-ray ISO to something playable like an MKV requires jumping through a ton of hoops, and using some PC-only apps

? Just use MakeMKV while you are at your computer. Takes no time since the rips run in the background, other than that required to insert/eject disks.

I don't have the time to convert my collection of UHD and standard Blu-Rays to files

as above.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Ah thanks for filling us in. I have full rips that are frame packed mkv 3d files. I guess I would have to convert to a sbs format for it to play properly.
Yes either SBS or Top/Bottom - don’t think any players offer frame packed playback

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.