Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
So...will the AVP (eventually) replace the need for monitors? My initial reaction was, "no way". Why would Apple create a product that would impact something they sell? However, after talking to other photogs/videographers, there are several advantages to going towards an AVP over monitor(s). First, collaborating/sharing/feedback/working on a photo/video together. Instead of emailing the sample, a recipient who is in another location could see the product and comment on it. And, within an office, there's no more, "hey, come over here and look at this." Just pop into the conversation and see what everyone else is seeing.

Hard to tell, but I would love it if the AVP replaced my monitors. Less stuff on my desk. And, if you're a company (or individual) would you buy 2 XDRs ($10k) or one AVP ($3.5k)?

I'm already excited to get rid of my TV. So, I guess the AVP should also be referred to as the Apple TV (not the little box), the Television they never made.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
So...will the AVP (eventually) replace the need for monitors? My initial reaction was, "no way". Why would Apple create a product that would impact something they sell? However, after talking to other photogs/videographers, there are several advantages to going towards an AVP over monitor(s). First, collaborating/sharing/feedback/working on a photo/video together. Instead of emailing the sample, a recipient who is in another location could see the product and comment on it. And, within an office, there's no more, "hey, come over here and look at this." Just pop into the conversation and see what everyone else is seeing.

Hard to tell, but I would love it if the AVP replaced my monitors. Less stuff on my desk. And, if you're a company (or individual) would you buy 2 XDRs ($10k) or one AVP ($3.5k)?

I'm already excited to get rid of my TV. So, I guess the AVP should also be referred to as the Apple TV (not the little box), the Television they never made.
Take a one pound weight strap it to your head, and leave it there for about 5 hours and see if you think it will replace your monitor. Also Apple doesn't mind cannibalizing their products. This could cannibalize their monitors some but you aren't going to see much of that I reckon.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Even if you have both eyes looking at 4.3K resolution or better, your eyes are not like a digital camera, they tend to focus on where your eyes are looking. I know Apple likes to throw out that it seems like you are looking at a 130" display, but depending on the distance, does a 4K video 16:9 aspect ratio look any different on a smaller 42" OLED close to your eyes then a much larger 100"+ model a lot further away?

Also note that multiple 4k or better displays for a programmer/dev can show a lot of information simultaneously. Does seeing it as a series of singular screen representation in VisionOS with the each eye resolution exceed looking at your real life computer setup with multiple 4K or better displays?

Also as a FYI, it's debatable that movie quality is that good using only 4K streaming. If the AVP was 8K each eye and supported video cleanup with upscaling that would be a lot better to look at IMHO.
I see none of the current streamers being even close to the max bit rate of a blu ray. 32 Mbps is the max for iTunes, and MoviesaAnywhere (USA) 4K movie streamed content. It's a lot lower for Disney+ and Netflix 4K content. They optimized the compression better so they could remain at that bitrate level.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Take a one pound weight strap it to your head, and leave it there for about 5 hours and see if you think it will replace your monitor. Also Apple doesn't mind cannibalizing their products. This could cannibalize their monitors some but you aren't going to see much of that I reckon.
Exactly. Wearing headphones on your ears during a flight can be tiresome and cause headaches, especially Apple’s, and people think they’re gonna have these heavy things on their face all day long. Nah bruh.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Exactly. Wearing headphones on your ears during a flight can be tiresome and cause headaches, especially Apple’s, and people think they’re gonna have these heavy things on their face all day long. Nah bruh.
hmm depends on which headphones you mean. Do you mean the big ones? Yeah, I could see that but that's like any over-ear headphone that is high quality tho I would think. I don't mind the Airpod Pros.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Why would Apple create a product that would impact something they sell?
I don't think Apple particularly wants to be in the monitor market. I think they're only there because they need to be to support the Mac.
Macs work best with monitors that are ~220 PPI. There are very few monitor options that are close to that DPI, and there are very few options above 4K.

On the other hand, there are a lot of good options for 4K TVs, and Apple is fine with just offering the streaming box.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
People wear face masks all day long
People gown up for work
People wear safety goggles all day long
People wear helmets all day long
And I can continue…

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
People wear face masks all day long
People gown up for work
People wear safety goggles all day long
People wear helmets all day long
And I can continue…

People wear face masks all day long (FOR SAFETY REASONS)
People GET PAID to gown up for work
People GET PAID to wear safety goggles all day long (or they are doing it for SAFETY)
People GET PAID to wear helmets all day long (or they are doing it for SAFETY)
And I can continue...

Tell us, what is the incentive to strap some sweaty headset to my face?

Because I want to? (I would prefer NOT to)

So I can brag to my friends? (fail)

Please. I am waiting...

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
People wear face masks all day long (FOR SAFETY REASONS)
People GET PAID to gown up for work
People GET PAID to wear safety goggles all day long (or they are doing it for SAFETY)
People GET PAID to wear helmets all day long (or they are doing it for SAFETY)
And I can continue...

Tell us, what is the incentive to strap some sweaty headset to my face?

Because I want to? (I would prefer NOT to)

So I can brag to my friends? (fail)

Please. I am waiting...
And those who wear an Oculus get paid to?

People do all kind of things to get some satisfaction, whether or not you are going to put a VPro on, I can care less.
but until I have tried one out and can make an educated decision on the benefits, I’m going to hold off on judgements…

Reactions: 4sallypat

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
And those who wear an Oculus get paid to?

People do all kind of things to get some satisfaction, whether or not you are going to put a VPro on, I can care less.
but until I have tried one out and can make an educated decision on the benefits, I’m going to hold off on judgements…
Who's getting paid to wear an Oculus other than the team who make Oculus? (Oculuses? Oculi?) And I guess the people who specifically make apps for the Oculus platform.

A monitor is cheaper, doesn't need personalisation, and can be used with any computer. I don't see any possibility in which headsets replace monitors at any meaningful scale for the foreseeable future.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Who's getting paid to wear an Oculus other than the team who make Oculus? (Oculuses? Oculi?) And I guess the people who specifically make apps for the Oculus platform.

A monitor is cheaper, doesn't need personalisation, and can be used with any computer. I don't see any possibility in which headsets replace monitors at any meaningful scale for the foreseeable future.
My response was to the comment below in italics, your implying that I ibsuggested VPro will replace monitors, which I do not believe, not now nor in 5 years. The technology will evolve and who knows what it will be like in 10 years

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
In the right situations.

The Vision Pro will shine in situations where it’s impractical to have a giant monitor with you. Such as in a hotel room, when you are out and about, or even on the sofa.

That’s how these form factors win. Not by beating existing solutions in terms of raw specs, but by introducing new use cases that were previously not possible.

Sep 22, 2023
Many current MacBooks models can't even output to more than 1 external monitor, let alone several, wirelessly. Apple's bluetooth and wireless connectivity has never worked seamlessly.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I can't wait to see how it compares to my Mac Studio display while using the AVP.

Currently, I run 2 27" displays (Studio + Thunderbolt) and love it.

The ultimate test will be to see how AVP will overtake my setup....
IMG_8808.jpg

Reactions: jz0309 and davvid97

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I can't wait to see how it compares to my Mac Studio display while using the AVP.

Currently, I run 2 27" displays (Studio + Thunderbolt) and love it.

The ultimate test will be to see how AVP will overtake my setup.... View attachment 2338956
It only mirrors one 4K Mac display.

You bought a Studio instead of a Mini so it obviously wont replace your workstation.

• Sad

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Oculopodes.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
This is my primary use case. it's not going to replace my home setup right away but it will be a big screen when I'm out and about.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
For the record, Vision Pro only mirrors your one Mac display. It does not have the ability to create virtual monitors to simulate a multi-monitor setup. I will keep my order, use it for 2 weeks, then return it to spite Apple by forcing them to bin this unit to the future refurbished pile.
It cant replicate a Mac Multi-display setup, but you can have multiple monitors if you're fine with the others running the iPad/VP versions of those apps.

• Haha
Reactions: cardfan
Sep 22, 2023
It cant replicate a Mac Multi-display setup, but you can have multiple monitors if you're fine with the others running the iPad/VP versions of those apps.

That is not what anyone looking to run a multi-monitor set up wants. We want extra monitors, not gimped mobile versions of apps floating around. The difference in productivity from using a full-fledged computer versus an iPad is tremendous. I'm convinced the only time someone uses an iPad app for their job is for those out-of-touch product videos Apple makes at product launches.

Reactions: cardfan

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That is not what anyone looking to run a multi-monitor set up wants. We want extra monitors, not gimped mobile versions of apps floating around. The difference in productivity from using a full-fledged computer versus an iPad is tremendous. I'm convinced the only time someone uses an iPad app for their job is for those out-of-touch product videos Apple makes at product launches.
It can act as a single 4K MacOS monitor so no, it wont replace your current multi-monitor set-up.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Have you seen the Vision Pro Apps for Zoom and Word? Those arent some barely useable stripped down version of the original apps. Zoom in particular looks far better in VisionPro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.