Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

david.olstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
As impressive as the video is on the Apple Vision Pro, I've also been impressed by the quality of the audio coming through the AVP's built in speakers. In particular, I've found that listening to Apple Music Dolby Atmos tracks to be a far better experience on the AVP than on my Airpods Max headphones. Listening to Dolby Atmos tracks on my Airpods Max -- and believe me, I've checked my settings repeatedly to make sure I've doing it right -- has been meh. I just couldn't see -- or rather hear -- what all the fuss was about. But with the AVP, I kind of get it now. It's a much more immersive audio expernece. And I've come to prefer the Giles Martin Atmos mixes of albums like Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road to their stereo mixes. And there are reasons why it would sound better on the AVP, which features technologies not found on the APM. Personally, I wish Apple would release a pair of headphones that use the audio technology from the AVP.

Reactions: G5isAlive

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Can't speak much about the AirPods Max as I've only listened to it in store. But, my AirPods Pro USB-C sound pretty good with the AVP. Bass is a bit deeper with them than without which is expected. Would have thought the Max's would be the same way since they go over the ear.

It is pretty impressive what Apple has done with the audio on the AVP. Don't feel like I need to use my AirPods unless I have people around me and I know what I'm listening to would bother them.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Didn't Apple suggest that AirPods Pro paired to the AVP would give you lossless audio (at least through Apple Music)? I would think just based on size, shape, and function that those would be the ones to use.

david.olstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Didn't Apple suggest that AirPods Pro paired to the AVP would give you lossless audio (at least through Apple Music)? I would think just based on size, shape, and function that those would be the ones to use.

I don't have the AirPods Pro model that gives you lossless audio. I would be interested to know whether you get the benefit of the AVP's personalized spatial audio when listening through paired headphones, as opposed to the built in speakers.

Reactions: JonnyMacx86

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I don't have the AirPods Pro model that gives you lossless audio. I would be interested to know whether you get the benefit of the AVP's personalized spatial audio when listening through paired headphones, as opposed to the built in speakers.
I'd be surprised if it didn't work that way but I don't know, truly. APP do personalized Spatial Audio on iOS. It's a feature that extends into the Accessibility realm at some level, too. Good question, for sure!

david.olstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
I'd be surprised if it didn't work that way but I don't know, truly. APP do personalized Spatial Audio on iOS. It's a feature that extends into the Accessibility realm at some level, too. Good question, for sure!
I wish someone would publish a white paper on the audio aspects of the Apple Vision Pro. But from what I understand, the personalized spatial audio on the AVP is superior than what you get with air pods and your iPhone. The AVP can used scans of your face to map the contours of your face and use that information to tailor the EQ of the audio to mimic the spatial cue you get when sound is reflected off of your face. In addition, I understand that AVP also senses the acoustics of your room and uses that information in the processing of the audio.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I wish someone would publish a white paper on the audio aspects of the Apple Vision Pro. But from what I understand, the personalized spatial audio on the AVP is superior than what you get with air pods and your iPhone. The AVP can used scans of your face to map the contours of your face and use that information to tailor the EQ of the audio to mimic the spatial cue you get when sound is reflected off of your face. In addition, I understand that AVP also senses the acoustics of your room and uses that information in the processing of the audio.
That makes all the sense. So many sensors!

nkgmd

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2004
I wish Apple would (and I’d be surprised if they don’t) release a stand alone headphone product based on the AVP audio system. THAT’s something I’d use regularly, if not in a public place. All the advantages of spacial audio, maybe less bass, but without having something squished into your ears or feeling like your head is in a vise, and you can still be connected to your environment. You could work out without sweating into your ears, and since they are flat they would look unobtrusive. Have to work the battery and processors into the head band. Since they’d be very light it would be much more comfortable than Max, but still could be a snug fit…maybe custom sizing a la AVP so adjustment isn’t necessary? Any thoughts?

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I wish Apple would (and I’d be surprised if they don’t) release a stand alone headphone product based on the AVP audio system. THAT’s something I’d use regularly, if not in a public place. All the advantages of spacial audio, maybe less bass, but without having something squished into your ears or feeling like your head is in a vise, and you can still be connected to your environment. You could work out without sweating into your ears, and since they are flat they would look unobtrusive. Have to work the battery and processors into the head band. Since they’d be very light it would be much more comfortable than Max, but still could be a snug fit…maybe custom sizing a la AVP so adjustment isn’t necessary? Any thoughts?
That sounds like what AirPods Max could aspire to be

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You might want to dig into some of these.

Related questions like how well they work with Vpro may require much research and/or research you do yourself by buying a favorite and putting it + Vpro through the paces. I suspect it will take a good while to get objective reviews of pairings of Vpro plus true ATMOS/Spaital headphone products.

Last edited:

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I’m hoping the next AirPods Max will at least have the H2 chip for lossless audio and reduced latency. Maybe even a slight redesign so they fit better with the AVP.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Can't speak much about the AirPods Max as I've only listened to it in store. But, my AirPods Pro USB-C sound pretty good with the AVP. Bass is a bit deeper with them than without which is expected. Would have thought the Max's would be the same way since they go over the ear.

It is pretty impressive what Apple has done with the audio on the AVP. Don't feel like I need to use my AirPods unless I have people around me (((and I know what I'm listening to would bother them))).
If there are people around you, best to assume it would bother them. AVP users, please do not subject the public to private viewing experiences.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
be interested to know whether you get the benefit of the AVP's personalized spatial audio when listening through paired headphones, as opposed to the built in speakers.
Personalized spatial audio has been an iOS for about a year now with the AirPods Pro and Max.
Uses the Face ID camera.

david.olstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
I too wish Apple would release a headphone product based on the AVP audio system. But I'm not at all confident that they would.

david.olstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Personalized spatial audio has been an iOS for about a year now with the AirPods Pro and Max.
Uses the Face ID camera.
I checked and I have personalized spatial audio activated. But despite that, Dolby Atmos still sounds much, much better on my AVP than it does with my AirPods Max and my Beats Fit Pro headphones. I wonder how much of that is due to the additional tech built into the AVP or simply because of the positioning of the audio pods relative to my ears.

nkgmd

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2004
I too wish Apple would release a headphone product based on the AVP audio system. But I'm not at all confident that they would.
Probably not, but it’s not too far fetched…look at iPod Touch as an example, limited product derived from a more complex product, Mac Mini, HomePod perhaps…they have the tech, I’m sure there’s a market within the customer base (psst, I’m right here!)

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I used the built in speakers the first days but have since switched to the new AirPods Pro and the bass makes all the dif. I almost don’t miss my home theater watching movies.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.