Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Hi all. :)

I am planning to buy an Apple Watch 2, my main option is to use it for fit up. This means weight lifting. I previously owned Microsoft Band 2, which had some sort of sensor, which were able to detect this activity, and was able to log my HR, and count the weight lift.

My question is, does this device has some sort of sensor, which can provide this information? Or should I look for other alternatives?

Thank you,
BR.

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
I have always used it for strength training. Until Series 2, I had selected Other as the Workout. There is now a selection for Strength Training. So it will notice the movement and heart rate spike. However, if you are looking to log in your activity, meaning I did 5 curls, 3 jumping jacks etc.; you will need a different app.

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
I have always used it for strength training. Until Series 2, I had selected Other as the Workout. There is now a selection for Strength Training. So it will notice the movement and heart rate spike. However, if you are looking to log in your activity, meaning I did 5 curls, 3 jumping jacks etc.; you will need a different app.

Thank you for your reply. Do you know any kind of apps, that has this possibility, and they are accurate enough, or has a lot of activity types in their database. Or even interconnection with HR too.

Any case, what of those two types would you recommend for workout, I mean from durability and scratch resistance.

BR
cserba

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Well the Apple Watch Activity app does work and realizes you are working out, so all the rings will move including heart rate
unnamed-1.png

If you want to track the number of reps and things like that, then you will need an app that will log that. I downloaded a few in the early days, but they were all subpar. Someone told me about fitnessbuilder and maybe myfitnesspal. Some people just use the Notes app. I gave up on that, what's important is that I'm working out.

Reactions: ob81 and pmccr8

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Well the Apple Watch Activity app does work and realizes you are working out, so all the rings will move including heart rate
View attachment 670817

If you want to track the number of reps and things like that, then you will need an app that will log that. I downloaded a few in the early days, but they were all subpar. Someone told me about fitnessbuilder and maybe myfitnesspal. Some people just use the Notes app. I gave up on that, what's important is that I'm working out.

I agree with your quote, that what matters is that you work out. I just wanted to know, if ever someone used an app for it.

Regarding the durability any idea? Have you ever had a problem, with the HR sensor during the workout (lot of sweat or something else?).

BR
cserba

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
No issues whatsoever and I sweat like crazy. Always got my workout counted for, even on light days. There are other health apps, maybe someone else might have answers if they reply. Runkeeper has a strength training selection, myfitnesspal, but the Apple Watch exercise app has been spot on. Sworkit was the old app I used to use.

Even before you purchase your app, go to the App Store and search for strength training. You can see all the apps and even see if they offer Watch apps. And definitely read the reviews

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
I use the Under Armour Record app on my Series 0 watch to track my workouts. I do Crossfit 6 days a week and then also do some weight lifting. Not that it can track perfect with muscle flexion but it does allow you select different types of workout and intergrates with the Apple Health App

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
I use the Under Armour Record app on my Series 0 watch to track my workouts. I do Crossfit 6 days a week and then also do some weight lifting. Not that it can track perfect with muscle flexion but it does allow you select different types of workout and intergrates with the Apple Health App

Good to know, I will check that app. :)

Thank you for your reply
[doublepost=1478532698][/doublepost]
No issues whatsoever and I sweat like crazy. Always got my workout counted for, even on light days. There are other health apps, maybe someone else might have answers if they reply. Runkeeper has a strength training selection, myfitnesspal, but the Apple Watch exercise app has been spot on. Sworkit was the old app I used to use.

Even before you purchase your app, go to the App Store and search for strength training. You can see all the apps and even see if they offer Watch apps. And definitely read the reviews

Thanks for the advice, anything about the durability of the devices previously mentioned in my reply?

BR
cserba
[doublepost=1478534806][/doublepost]And by the way, automatic sleep detection is included in the watch?

sm2teach

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
Texas
I am using Gymaholic to track weight lifting workouts. I've been using it about a week and as far as I can tell, you plan your workout ahead of time on your phone and sync it with the watch. Then start the workout on your watch and it will tell you which exercise to do and time rest times. You can edit the number of sets, reps, and weight as you go using the Watch app. You tap as you finish each set and it will keep count. At the end of the workout you can save it and it'll sync back to your phone. It also syncs with your Activity rings. I have seen this app recommended often in this forum. It is working well for me.

Also, Gymatic is supposed to automatically count exercises as you do them after you train it. I don't have any experience with this app but have seen it recommended.
[doublepost=1478545125][/doublepost]
Good to know, I will check that app. :)

Thank you for your reply
[doublepost=1478532698][/doublepost]

Thanks for the advice, anything about the durability of the devices previously mentioned in my reply?

BR
cserba
[doublepost=1478534806][/doublepost]And by the way, automatic sleep detection is included in the watch?

Sleep detection is not built in, but Sleep Watch will automatically detect sleep.

Reactions: cmbauer

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
I am using Gymaholic to track weight lifting workouts. I've been using it about a week and as far as I can tell, you plan your workout ahead of time on your phone and sync it with the watch. Then start the workout on your watch and it will tell you which exercise to do and time rest times. You can edit the number of sets, reps, and weight as you go using the Watch app. You tap as you finish each set and it will keep count. At the end of the workout you can save it and it'll sync back to your phone. It also syncs with your Activity rings. I have seen this app recommended often in this forum. It is working well for me.

Also, Gymatic is supposed to automatically count exercises as you do them after you train it. I don't have any experience with this app but have seen it recommended.
[doublepost=1478545125][/doublepost]

Sleep detection is not built in, but Sleep Watch will automatically detect sleep.

Thanks. I will surely check. Can you please guys tell me which is better in durability? Not only for workout but for example I am a hunter and I eeally like to go outside to woods look around between trees where are small spaces. In scratches and etc? Does it really able to stand two days without charging?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
View attachment 670817

How do you get strength training on the watch? I don't have it on mine. I'm on watchOS 3.1

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
How do you get strength training on the watch? I don't have it on mine. I'm on watchOS 3.1

Good question, so you have to do it in order to make it appear. So do a workout using OTHER. Once you go to save that workout, it will ask you how do you want to save. There is a sub menu of additional workouts and Strength Training is one. Since I selected it, it always appears in my menu. I wish someone could screenshot that because there are a ton of workouts under the OTHER menu, but you can only see them when you save as something.

Reactions: ftaok and cmbauer

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Does it really able to stand two days without charging?
It can, if you don't use the workout app too much (because it runs the LEDs to track your heart rate continuously, and they use up battery power) and if you don't really ask it to do a lot of other things. I'll bet it'll run for a good while in Airplane Mode, too, since it wouldn't use the Wifi and Bluetooth radios.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Good question, so you have to do it in order to make it appear. So do a workout using OTHER. Once you go to save that workout, it will ask you how do you want to save. There is a sub menu of additional workouts and Strength Training is one. Since I selected it, it always appears in my menu. I wish someone could screenshot that because there are a ton of workouts under the OTHER menu, but you can only see them when you save as something.
Actually you have 3 choices. Save, Name and Discard (I believe). You MUST hit Name (NOT Save). If you hit Save you will NOT be presented with a choice. Hit Name and you will get about 40 to pick from.

IMG_1346_zpslr8p9cog.jpg

Baseball
Basketball
Bowling
Boxing
Cross Training
Curling
Dance
Downhill Skiing
Functional Training
Golf
Gymnastics
Handball
Jump Rope
Kickboxing
Martial Arts
Mind & Body
Mixed Cardio
Paddling
Pilates
Play
Racquetball
Rolling
Rugby
Saling
Skating
Snow Sports
Snowboarding
Step Training
Strength Training
Surfing
Table Tennis
USA Football
Volleyball
Wrestling
Yoga

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Actually you have 3 choices. Save, Name and Discard (I believe). You MUST hit Name (NOT Save). If you hit Save you will NOT be presented with a choice. Hit Name and you will get about 40 to pick from.

IMG_1346_zpslr8p9cog.jpg

Baseball
Basketball
Bowling
Boxing
Cross Training
Curling
Dance
Downhill Skiing
Functional Training
Golf
Gymnastics
Handball
Jump Rope
Kickboxing
Martial Arts
Mind & Body
Mixed Cardio
Paddling
Pilates
Play
Racquetball
Rolling
Rugby
Saling
Skating
Snow Sports
Snowboarding
Step Training
Strength Training
Surfing
Table Tennis
USA Football
Volleyball
Wrestling
Yoga

Thanks for the list and the correction. I've only done it once.

I've been jumping rope and did not know it was on there. LOL> And back to boxing again soon too

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Anyone to answer my question? :)

Thanks. I will surely check. Can you please guys tell me which is better in durability? Not only for workout but for example I am a hunter and I really like to go outside to woods look around between trees where are small spaces. In scratches and etc? Does it really able to stand two days without charging?

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
You're asking people to tell you which is better in durability, the AW2 or _______.

Until you fill in the _______ nobody can possibly answer the question.

I was mentioning AW2 with aluminium body with ION-x glass or stainless steel with sapphire crystal glass for my activities as: Not only for workout but for example I am a hunter and I really like to go outside to woods look around between trees where are small spaces.
And as I work for server maintenance where are big cabinets with small areas where I need to put my arm, i don't want to easily scratch them. (because Microsoft band 2, was scratching like hell)

BR
cserba

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I was mentioning AW2 with aluminium body with ION-x glass or stainless steel with sapphire crystal glass

Thanks -- that was not at all apparent in your prior posts.

I have no experience with the stainless steel / sapphire version so I can't directly comment on it's resistance, but look to what material your prior watch had and if the AW2 aluminum/glass has the same material you'd probably do well to consider the sapphire crystal. There's also the alternative of a screen protector and/or AppleCare+.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Sapphire crystal (NOT glass) is more scratch resistant than glass. The glass on the aluminum is (basically) the same as on your iPhone.

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Sapphire crystal (NOT glass) is more scratch resistant than glass. The glass on the aluminum is (basically) the same as on your iPhone.

Thanks -- that was not at all apparent in your prior posts.

I have no experience with the stainless steel / sapphire version so I can't directly comment on it's resistance, but look to what material your prior watch had and if the AW2 aluminum/glass has the same material you'd probably do well to consider the sapphire crystal. There's also the alternative of a screen protector and/or AppleCare+.

Yeah, I know, but as far as I know from previous reviews the stainless steel, is very prone to scratches, and it is harder to avoid it, but if you own a devices with that feature and you know that it can withstand scratch I will buy one.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Regarding the durability any idea? Have you ever had a problem, with the HR sensor during the workout (lot of sweat or something else?).
Can't comment on durability since I haven't banged it or dropped it. <cross fingers> The nike strap is very durable and is very secure. I'm guessing the Sport band is similar.

As for the HR sensor, I've not had any problems with sweat. Just make sure you tighten the strap so that it doesn't slide around. When I workout, I go one hole tighter on the strap.

Incidentally, I've tested the watch's sensor against my Polar HR strap, a HR reading app on the iPhone, and several gym machines with the HR handles. The watch is within 2 or 3 bpm consistently. I have total confidence that my HR is being recorded as precisely with the watch vs any of my other methods.

The advantage of a HR strap during a workout is that it records continuously (once a second or so). The watch's sensor records every 3 seconds, i think.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Incidentally, I've tested the watch's sensor against my Polar HR strap, a HR reading app on the iPhone, and several gym machines with the HR handles. The watch is within 2 or 3 bpm consistently. I have total confidence that my HR is being recorded as precisely with the watch vs any of my other methods.

During cardio, yes. During strength training the apple watch's heart rate monitor will be all over the place. a HR strap will remain consistent, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.