Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGamble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hi All,

I hope you've all had a great Christmas.

Ok, I've been saving for a while and finally have enough money to purchase an Apple Watch Hermes. My reasons for buying the Series 2/Hermes are as follows:

1) I love the Hermes Fauve Barenia leather band
2) I'm a big fan of the simplistic Hermes square face (the standard faces do nothing for me)
3) I enjoy running and swimming
4) I don't currently own another watch so I'm happy to spend a premium as it'll be worn all day, everyday

My only reservation is the potential release of a AW3 in Sept and rumours of some significant changes.

I thought I'd create this thread to track these rumours and also to reach out to you guys to discuss whether i'd be naive to wait.

I'm aware of the concept "theres always something new around the corner" and "technology is always changing" but on this occasion, with the cost of ownership being so high its of great importance that I buy at the right time (I'll be keeping it for a long time).

What are your thoughts?

Regards.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Hi All,

I hope you've all had a great Christmas.

Ok, I've been saving for a while and finally have enough money to purchase an Apple Watch Hermes. My reasons for buying the Series 2/Hermes are as follows:

1) I love the Hermes Fauve Barenia leather band
2) I'm a big fan of the simplistic Hermes square face (the standard faces do nothing for me)
3) I enjoy running and swimming
4) I don't currently own another watch so I'm happy to spend a premium as it'll be worn all day, everyday

My only reservation is the potential release of a AW3 in Sept and rumours of some significant changes.

I thought I'd create this thread to track these rumours and also to reach out to you guys to discuss whether i'd be naive to wait.

I'm aware of the concept "theres always something new around the corner" and "technology is always changing" but on this occasion, with the cost of ownership being so high its of great importance that I buy at the right time (I'll be keeping it for a long time).

What are your thoughts?

Regards.
Hello and merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!!
The first question I ask to help you out is how bad you do need Apple Watch? Do you want to have it as soon as possible? If the answer is yes, please go ahead to buy one.
If you could wait until the next generation comes with improvements, please wait. The next series is expected to come late 2017, presumably Fall/ September or early 2018/March.

Buying decision for significantly expensive watch should not be treated lightly as it is a great investment.

Buying an expensive smart watch is not the same as buying expensive regular watch as it involves technology that keeps changing and causes the smart watch becomes obsolete in a matter 1-2 years.

Are you a technology conscious person who is sensitive to always changing technology? Is your purchase based on limited budget? If both answers are yes, please wait. If you have unlimited amount of disposable income and your purchase is not dependent on any budget, you could buy every new release smart watch and you could sell the older one if you like.

I used to think the same way as you do but I want to have AW now before I got my AW2. After considering the technology changes and the technology I want to have on my AW in the future,which is iPhone independency that has LTE capabilities, I would rather spend most of my money on the next series with LTE and iPhone independency. I bought medium range AW2, consequently.
It is now up to you to decide. Good luck and let us know your decision. I hope you will make a wise decision that could make you happy after your purchase instead of regretting it, i.e. On the next release, you would not say, I wish I could have waited.

AGamble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hello and merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!!
The first question I ask to help you out is how bad you do need Apple Watch? Do you want to have it as soon as possible? If the answer is yes, please go ahead to buy one.
If you could wait until the next generation comes with improvements, please wait. The next series is expected to come late 2017, presumably Fall/ September or early 2018/March.

Buying decision for significantly expensive watch should not be treated lightly as it is a great investment.

Buying an expensive smart watch is not the same as buying expensive regular watch as it involves technology that keeps changing and causes the smart watch becomes obsolete in a matter 1-2 years.

Are you a technology conscious person who is sensitive to always changing technology? Is your purchase based on limited budget? If both answers are yes, please wait. If you have unlimited amount of disposable income and your purchase is not dependent on any budget, you could buy every new release smart watch and you could sell the older one if you like.

I used to think the same way as you do but I want to have AW now before I got my AW2. After considering the technology changes and the technology I want to have on my AW in the future,which is iPhone independency that has LTE capabilities, I would rather spend most of my money on the next series with LTE and iPhone independency. I bought medium range AW2, consequently.
It is now up to you to decide. Good luck and let us know your decision. I hope you will make a wise decision that could make you happy after your purchase instead of regretting it, i.e. On the next release, you would not say, I wish I could have waited.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, it's much appreciated.

To answer your first question, no i don't need a AW (but the want is strong lol). I've not had a watch for many years but have been on the lookout for something nice for some time now. Originally I looked at mechanicals but because of my fitness regime and my love of technology I keep getting drawn towards the AW. In addition I don't really want to spend much more than £1400 so the top end mechanicals are well out of reach.

I'm certainly technology concious and love buying the latest gadgets. Unfortunately with a wedding and house move on the horizon I'm not able to refresh my kit as much as I would like. The AW will be no exception and I'll need to keep it for at a least 3+ years.

In reality I'd like to buy something special (aka the Hermes) but something I can utilise for as long as possible without it looking completely out of date or becoming unusable.

I appreciate that this is a lot to ask from a piece of tech.

I'm beginning to think the AW3 may be the best option as my gut feeling is that the next update will be a significant refresh.

I held off on the iPhone 7 for the exact same reason.

I just hope I'm not proven wrong.

Such a tough decision but I think I know the correct decision.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to respond, it's much appreciated.

To answer your first question, no i don't need a AW (but the want is strong lol). I've not had a watch for many years but have been on the lookout for something nice for some time now. Originally I looked at mechanicals but because of my fitness regime and my love of technology I keep getting drawn towards the AW. In addition I don't really want to spend much more than £1400 so the top end mechanicals are well out of reach.

I'm certainly technology concious and love buying the latest gadgets. Unfortunately with a wedding and house move on the horizon I'm not able to refresh my kit as much as I would like. The AW will be no exception and I'll need to keep it for at a least 3+ years.

In reality I'd like to buy something special (aka the Hermes) but something I can utilise for as long as possible without it looking completely out of date or becoming unusable.

I appreciate that this is a lot to ask from a piece of tech.

I'm beginning to think the AW3 may be the best option as my gut feeling is that the next update will be a significant refresh.

I held off on the iPhone 7 for the exact same reason.

I just hope I'm not proven wrong.

Such a tough decision but I think I know the correct decision.
You seem you have thought your decision very well. The "want" has also hit me very strong but with taking time to think pros and cons and the budget, I determined to spend more for next series of Apple Watch with independence of iPhone and LTE. So, I know what you meant well. We should not follow our "want" so hastily because we will regret sooner or later.
You seem very well to know your priorities and I believe you made a right decision. I wish the best :)

AGamble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
You seem you have thought your decision very well. The "want" has also hit me very strong but with taking time to think pros and cons and the budget, I determined to spend more for next series of Apple Watch with independence of iPhone and LTE. So, I know what you meant well. We should not follow our "want" so hastily because we will regret sooner or later.
You seem very well to know your priorities and I believe you made a right decision. I wish the best :)

Thank you my friend. I believe you're right.

Regarding the AW3, what additional functionality do you think they'll add?

Do you think they'll retain the square form? Potentially making it thinner?

I hope and pray they don't reinvent the iPad 3. I really regret that purchase lol.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Thank you my friend. I believe you're right.

Regarding the AW3, what additional functionality do you think they'll add?

Do you think they'll retain the square form? Potentially making it thinner?

I hope and pray they don't reinvent the iPad 3. I really regret that purchase lol.
It is my pleasure to be able to help :)
About functionality, based on what I have read somewhere, LTE or cell capability. This feature is preferred or liked by many. One or more smartwatches, I believe, already have LTE or Cell capability that could make smartwatch used independently from the cell phone and could be more useful on many ways without depending much on the cell phone. Based on my observation, Apple has a tendency to catch up their products from other competitors and try to make their products better. About other functions for improvement, I think fitness related application usefulness and battery. I presume Apple is researching a lot of things to make the next release better than previous one. I wish my knew more, sorry . But, as you read all comments on Macrumor forums, you could gather a lot of things people want and Apple might be able to deliver the best they could to satisfy their customers, although they seem still lacking on some areas. I could not help you more on forecasting for improvements on the next series. I am not psychic :)

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I know nothing about the Hermes edition but you mentioned swimming in your OP, is that band rated for swimming? Or will you need a sport type band ever time you hit the pool?

As for me, I went with a S2 aluminum model for $399 as its wearable tech and I expect it to last a few good years then I will want the next best thing. I love to exercise and I love my Apple Watch, I'd not wait if I was you, even if you buy a cheaper model now and get the more expensive one in a few years when the next one is released.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I know nothing about the Hermes edition but you mentioned swimming in your OP, is that band rated for swimming? Or will you need a sport type band ever time you hit the pool?

As for me, I went with a S2 aluminum model for $399 as its wearable tech and I expect it to last a few good years then I will want the next best thing. I love to exercise and I love my Apple Watch, I'd not wait if I was you, even if you buy a cheaper model now and get the more expensive one in a few years when the next one is released.

The Series 2 Hermes AW comes with a special Hermes sport band, in the box, in addition to the featured leather one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.