Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZD_plguy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2019
I have old 46mm Galaxy Watch GPS model.
I own both iphone 11 pro and Pixel 6a that I flip between two once in a while. I split my time roughly 50/50 between two.

Not sure if I should pick one cellular version between two or 2 Bluetooth only picking cheaper Apple SE version though the lack of AOD would bit noticable coming from my Samsung that has it. But maybe it turns on quicker on glance/twistnthat past generations that's barely noticable?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I own both iphone 11 pro and Pixel 6a that I flip between two once in a while. I split my time roughly 50/50 between two.

Not sure if I should pick one cellular version between two or 2 Bluetooth only picking cheaper Apple SE version though the lack of AOD would bit noticable coming from my Samsung that has it. But maybe it turns on quicker on glance/twistnthat past generations that's barely noticable?
Whilst early days and maybe a one off I would wait and see if any more news on that guys AW7 catching fire, before getting one

ZD_plguy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2019
Whilst early days and maybe a one off I would wait and see if any more news on that guys AW7 catching fire, before getting one
Never heard of AW catching fires. The last time I heard about portable electronics catching fire was old Galaxy Notes.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Never heard of AW catching fires. The last time I heard about portable electronics catching fire was old Galaxy Notes.
Yes its fairly recent and as I noted possibly a one off however there is a concern especially as Apple tried to cover it up with a NDA

PS Don't forget the Mac 15" laptops that are also banned on flights due to batteries :)

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
If a single report of a device overheating is enough to dissuade one from purchasing it, then one would essentially have a choice of pretty much zero vehicles, zero electrical appliances, and zero electronic devices to purchase, and be unable to take any form of public transit anywhere.
Need to put these reports in context, some of which have questionable causes.

Reactions: blackNBUK

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
If a single report of a device overheating is enough to dissuade one from purchasing it, then one would essentially have a choice of pretty much zero vehicles, zero electrical appliances, and zero electronic devices to purchase, and be unable to take any form of public transit anywhere.
Exactly. Some people just have a hidden agenda and reject cases where multiple verified devices caught fire (Samsung devices) while getting off on just 1 unverified Apple Watch incident.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I agree its way too early with possibly just one event (as I noted) to draw any conclusions :)

The questionable action was Apple trying to get a NCA on what is essentially a HSE issue and because of this we simply do not know if they have been successful with other NDA and there are possibly more incidences

Given our recent members rants on Samsung that are equally based on a few incidences on old unused devices that have been stored incorrectly, despite other similar reports that it happens to other OEM's devices brings out the best erroneous reporting and biases :)

Last edited:

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
Samsung made people sign NDAs and actually took the evidence and destroyed it. But of course some people ignore that.

ZD_plguy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2019
Didn’t see deals that entice me for AW. SE2 is too basic for me (non AOD while currently having old Galaxy Watch having this feature), AW7 sold out and AW8 just $50 off.

Pixel Watch I will wait for reviews and for price drop. Because after dropping $400 on Pixel6a that dropped later as low as $330 during Amazon prime sales, from $450 when it was released does not leave good taste in my mouth. Maybe I will get Galaxy Watch 5.

In the meanwhile I just got Pixel Buds A series for dirt cheap to complement my AirPods Pro. Also less issues to pair either with non-native platform. ;)

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
Didn’t see deals that entice me for AW. SE2 is too basic for me (non AOD while currently having old Galaxy Watch having this feature), AW7 sold out and AW8 just $50 off.

Pixel Watch I will wait for reviews and for price drop. Because after dropping $400 on Pixel6a that dropped later as low as $330 during Amazon prime sales, from $450 when it was released does not leave good taste in my mouth. Maybe I will get Galaxy Watch 5.

In the meanwhile I just got Pixel Buds A series for dirt cheap to complement my AirPods Pro. Also less issues to pair either with non-native platform. ;)
Plenty of AW7 or 8 on sale at big box stores like Walmart, Amazon, even Best Buy. I’m seeing $250-$350 depending on model you want.

ZD_plguy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2019
I'm seeing renewed. there was limited time sale on amazon on AW7 cellular watches for $350 for new

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022

Peter_John

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2022

Apple watch is better cause the Google watch display is shrunk by the unwanted bezel around the screen and making it look smaller! Apple watch looks classic and has good features with a bigger display!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Imho, smartwatch wise, Apple Watch just wins in almost anything unless you don't like square watch face. The kinds of things you can do on the Apple Watch is just far ahead on anything else. And accessories for it is so plentiful that it's akin to the iPod vs other MP3 players in the olden days.

Pixel Watch is basically an overpriced Fitbit (also, I think the service is only included for the first 6 months, you have to pay monthly afterwards). The WearOS platform is just unproven at this point. Add on outdated hardware, non-existent accessories, it's just not something I would even consider unless you just have money to burn, or you only like round face watch.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Add on outdated hardware, non-existent accessories, it's just not something I would even consider unless you just have money to burn, or you only like round face watch.

I don't think the Pixel Watch is a home run by any means, but not sure I agree with this. It's a gen 1 product and for most people, will be a freebie. I don't imagine there will be a lot of sales of this thing as stand alone purchases.

The accessories - there's plenty of watch bands to choose from. Apple didn't have a truck load for the first Apple watch. The only reason there's so many now is because existing bands from virtually all previous watches still work.

For a first attempt, I don't think it's too bad at all.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I don't think the Pixel Watch is a home run by any means, but not sure I agree with this. It's a gen 1 product and for most people, will be a freebie. I don't imagine there will be a lot of sales of this thing as stand alone purchases.

The accessories - there's plenty of watch bands to choose from. Apple didn't have a truck load for the first Apple watch. The only reason there's so many now is because existing bands from virtually all previous watches still work.

If Google released this to compete with the AW series 2 or so, maybe. But at this point, i cannot be convinced to spend money on this. Maybe by the 3rd gen to show Google’s commitment to the platform and allows more accessories and apps. But if I had money for a wearable now for Android, I’d rather get a Samsung.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Yep a bit too much hype here on AW :)

Lets not forget AW has always lagged on customisation, battery endurance, sleep tracking, watch straps that are universal fit ie mechanical or digital watches

As for presentation of text information I think many who wear glasses use this functionality with minimal interest and somewhat over hyped to justify a square format over round :rolleyes:

I have never understood why fiddling with a crown wheel is thought to be a good idea over rotating bezels or push buttons but then Apple users do not have such options :)

There are just as many if not more catches to AW ownership from subscriptions, single source accessories etc and of course only works with iPhone

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yep a bit too much hype here on AW :)

I have never understood why fiddling with a crown wheel is thought to be a good idea over rotating bezels or push buttons but then Apple users do not have such options :)

To me, a rotating bezel is symptomatic of a larger issue - that a smartwatch has a round display rather than a square one.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I personally think the design is outdated. Also, I can just tell by looking at it, that my wrist would mistakenly press the crown(button) on a regular basis.

Being that said, reviewers did give it praise for sensor accuracy.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I personally think the design is outdated. Also, I can just tell by looking at it, that my wrist would mistakenly press the crown(button) on a regular basis.

Being that said, reviewers did give it praise for sensor accuracy.
Reviewers always give good reviews nowadays because if not, they will no longer get freebies from Google, and Google really packup up the review unit packages to the gills, often with tons of accessories and swag. Nobody in the right mind would say anything negative, especially if they're making money in Google's own platform like YouTube.

In this case, it's simple. Judge the product based on Google's own track record. Google literally abandoned WearOS even when they had a head start, and let it languish for years. Now they just see it as a potential revenue maker and thus reestablish it. Even then, all they did was bought Fitbit and shoehorn it into WearOS. I would wait until at least the 3rd or 4th gen to judge whether Google is actually committed to the platform and keep the first gen devices updated.

My own prediction, it will be discontinued in 3 years.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Reviewers always give good reviews nowadays because if not, they will no longer get freebies from Google, and Google really packup up the review unit packages to the gills, often with tons of accessories and swag. Nobody in the right mind would say anything negative, especially if they're making money in Google's own platform like YouTube.

In this case, it's simple. Judge the product based on Google's own track record. Google literally abandoned WearOS even when they had a head start, and let it languish for years. Not they just see it as a potential revenue maker and thus reestablish it. Even then, all tehy did was bought Fitbit and shoehorn it into WearOS. I would wait until at least the 3rd or 4th gen to judge whether Google is actually committed to the platform and keep the first gen devices updated.

My own prediction, it will be discontinued in 3 years.

Yea, I did hear that it uses Fitbit fitness software instead of their own, and not all the features are available like auto detect. It also cost more than the Galaxy Watch 5. :oops:

Reactions: ian87w

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
If Google released this to compete with the AW series 2 or so, maybe. But at this point, i cannot be convinced to spend money on this. Maybe by the 3rd gen to show Google’s commitment to the platform and allows more accessories and apps. But if I had money for a wearable now for Android, I’d rather get a Samsung.
Like I said, for a lot of people it is a freebie. I think Google know they don't get many stand alone sales for this when the competition is much further ahead. But I disagree completely with you comparing it to products that are many more generations further and that there's no accessories.

Good thing with Android is there's choice. So as you say, if you could afford one you can go get a Samsung 👍🏻

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
To me, a rotating bezel is symptomatic of a larger issue - that a smartwatch has a round display rather than a square one.
No quite the contrary AW has serious compromises on HFE and had to over come them other ways.

It is simply unavoidable the increase in dexterity required when fiddling with a crown wheel :)

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

In your position I would pick a Garmin Fenix or Epix for cross platform (iPhone and Pixel) it works flawlessly with both, that is if you want a sports/fitness watch, if however you want a smart watch, I would go for the Ultra.

I have a Fenix and Ultra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.