Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geek2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
Hi, what do you all think of Watch 8 as my first watch? or do you suggest I get the Watch 9? Watch 9 is like 200 usd more than Watch 8 (watch 8 and 7 is same price) and not sure if it is worth the extra 200? how many years of support/updates can I expect from Watch 8? looking for atleast 5?

thanks yall!

Reactions: laffnvegas

laffnvegas

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Desert South West
I agree if you currently do not have one then 8 for the lower price is a good way to start. Not enough difference between the 8 and 9 to pay that much. As long as it is new and not refurbished that is a good price. Yes, for updates it should get you 5 years. I have had several since the beginning and have owned two at a time for several years. I have been trading up at the 4 year mark. Currently trading in a 5 for a S9 and my other one is a S7.

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021
I am using series 7 and found no reason to upgrade to series 9 as the updates are incremental. Next year will probably be the year to upgrade, especially if the form factor change comes true.

You will not go wrong with series 8 and I don’t think you will miss any features from series 9.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
S9 has on device Siri. That’s a big one for me, but not big enough for me to upgrade from my S8. Would I pay USD$200 for on device Siri? No, I don’t think so. S9 also has a better CPU, it will undoubtedly get longer software support. But again, for $200 I would probably get an S8, especially if it’s your first. If you don’t like it your loss on resale is likely to be less.

If you’re in good health and under 50 I’d also seriously consider the SE for my first watch too. That’s what I did (Gen 1 SE at the time) and I don’t regret it. I then upgraded to the S8 once I knew that I was bought in to the Apple Watch premise.

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021
S9 has on device Siri. That’s a big one for me, but not big enough for me to upgrade from my S8. Would I pay USD$200 for on device Siri? No, I don’t think so. S9 also has a better CPU, it will undoubtedly get longer software support. But again, for $200 I would probably get an S8, especially if it’s your first. If you don’t like it your loss on resale is likely to be less.

If you’re in good health and under 50 I’d also seriously consider the SE for my first watch too. That’s what I did (Gen 1 SE at the time) and I don’t regret it. I then upgraded to the S8 once I knew that I was bought in to the Apple Watch premise.
Agree that SE is a good option. But if the price difference with series 7 or 8 is not great, go for series 8. SE doesn’t have always on display which I really like

tsupersonic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2022
NY
8 is good enough. Similar scenario for me too - I went with the 7 earlier this year as I didn't see the point in the 8. I just needed fast charging, AOD, and ECG. This weeded out the SE1/2 and anything less than S7.

Reactions: Saturn007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.