Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Claudia P

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
First off I know way better than to trust the health alerts, but this just seems odd and I wondered if anyone else has noticed the same kind of thing since the most recent update. A little over year ago I went in for a cardiac ablation to correct AFib which it apparently did while trading it for PVC's that they say are harmless. This completely confuses the Apple Watch and makes ECG readings impossible, while heart rate reads pretty true. My walking has not been steady for quite a while but suddenly last Sunday I got this alert that I as in danger of falling 25 minutes ago. This was hysterical since I had been sleeping for probably the last hour or more after falling asleep in the recliner while watching TV. Then yesterday out of the blue it said I had closed the exercise ring for the first time. I looked at my heart rate history and saw nothing to suggest that I had been exercising, my heart had stayed within normal range all day. I'm not looking for any answers just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same things.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
From "About Walking Steadiness" in the Apple Health app, it specifically says "Walking Steadiness is not an indication of how likely you are to fall in any given moment but an overall sense of fall risk in the next twelve months"

My guess is that your phone (or watch?) performed the trend analysis while you were asleep in your chair, but that the data that prompted the alert was collected over the course of the past few weeks or months. According to the description in the app, it is calculated based on your walking speed, step length, double support time and walking asymmetry data stored in the health app. You may want to look at those metrics to see if they have declined recently.

Claudia P

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
From "About Walking Steadiness" in the Apple Health app, it specifically says "Walking Steadiness is not an indication of how likely you are to fall in any given moment but an overall sense of fall risk in the next twelve months"

My guess is that your phone (or watch?) performed the trend analysis while you were asleep in your chair, but that the data that prompted the alert was collected over the course of the past few weeks or months. According to the description in the app, it is calculated based on your walking speed, step length, double support time and walking asymmetry data stored in the health app. You may want to look at those metrics to see if they have declined recently.
Actually they have improved dramatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.