Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpow112

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
I noticed that my AW9 was not receiving notifications, so I checked. On the watch face, when I pressed the button, there was the lightning flash at the top, showing no connection. If I tried to ping my iPhone, it said it was not connected, and directed me to ’find my’.

however, on my iPhone, under Bluetooth, it says it is connected. I toggled bluetooth, and it reconnected. I power cycled both, and hard reset both also. No change.

I also have a paired AW5, which is showing the same problem - connected yet not connected.

I guess the problem is at the iPhone. Both watches are listed on the watch app as paired.

obviously the next step is to delete, erase and repair the watches, but before I go nuclear - any ideas?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I noticed that my AW9 was not receiving notifications, so I checked. On the watch face, when I pressed the button, there was the lightning flash at the top, showing no connection. If I tried to ping my iPhone, it said it was not connected, and directed me to ’find my’.

however, on my iPhone, under Bluetooth, it says it is connected. I toggled bluetooth, and it reconnected. I power cycled both, and hard reset both also. No change.

I also have a paired AW5, which is showing the same problem - connected yet not connected.

I guess the problem is at the iPhone. Both watches are listed on the watch app as paired.

obviously the next step is to delete, erase and repair the watches, but before I go nuclear - any ideas?
what OS versions, all devices, what phone model?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Apple Watch 9, and 5, OS 10.4
iPhone 14 Pro Max OS 17.4.1
Ok, up to date.
Assuming you have a passcode on the watch, does the phone still unlock the watch?
If you decide to unpair/re-pair I strongly suggest to set the watch up as new, not restore from backup

jpow112

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Ok, up to date.
Assuming you have a passcode on the watch, does the phone still unlock the watch?
If you decide to unpair/re-pair I strongly suggest to set the watch up as new, not restore from backup
Good idea - will give that a go

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
I would try rebooting both watch and phone before doing anything else… that usually fixes a lot of these strange annoyances

Reactions: Jackbequickly

jpow112

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
The iPhone wouldn’t unlock the watch. Tried rebooting all devices, and hard resets.

I unpaired - it unpaired the iPhone, but warned it couldn’t contact the watches. Had to reset and wipe them independently. Then set the watches up again - working properly again now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.