Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

first-to-tea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Can I use Apple Watch when the device is in Airplane Mode and not receiving or sending wireless data? For example, to use the clock and fitness tracking, can I turn off wireless and still use the device? (For those interested, if I can avoid it, I’d rather not expose my wrist or body to a Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Field, a Group 2B Possible Carcinogen, as described by World Health Organization / International Agency for Research on Cancer.)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yes you can and the fitness tracking will work as usual as long as your watch is on (power preserve mode won’t work).
And for your fear of exposure, there are gonna be way more powerful devices that expose pretty much the same type radio waves from other people who also uses Apple Watch and do not turn on aeroplane mode.

first-to-tea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Yes you can and the fitness tracking will work as usual as long as your watch is on (power preserve mode won’t work).
And for your fear of exposure, there are gonna be way more powerful devices that expose pretty much the same type radio waves from other people who also uses Apple Watch and do not turn on aeroplane mode.
I’m going to err on the side of caution, exposure is cumulative, less is better in my view. Thanks for letting me know how Apple Watch works on airplane mode, appreciate it! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.