Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
And no one blinked an eye when Samsung released their smartwatches with similar sensors?...

Its not the watch. Its the HealthKit . If you think having you medical information being stolen is a good thing, poke fun at Samsung, which is not relevant to this thread. This is very important that Apple does not mess this up.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
If only that damn govt would teach people to spell and punctuate! :eek:

They can't even run a business (USPS), why would you expect them to teach anyone anything other than being currupt?

I didn't spell check, OMG SO S0RRY

Last edited:

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
What a silly publicity stunt. He's just trying to get free publicity courtesy of :apple: Watch.

Why he did not wrote before to Samsung, Jawbone, Fitbit, the NSA, etc.
And what a bunch of nonsense questions.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Apple should have designed a probe to shove up your #$% but suppose the watch will masquerade as a probe to record all your bodily functions. Just don't fart to loud.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
What a silly publicity stunt. He's just trying to get free publicity courtesy of :apple: Watch.

Why he did not wrote before to Samsung, Jawbone, Fitbit, the NSA, etc.
And what a bunch of nonsense questions.

People will stop at nothing to grab 15 min of fame, piggy backing off of Apples success and popularity.

----------

This is all. Thank you.

It's not a publicity stunt. This Attorney General made a similar request to other companies that have released wearable technologies that store user data, such as Google. Apple is not the first. You'd probably know that if you actually read the press release.

The Attorney General has a responsibility to ensure that privacy laws are enforced in the State of Connecticut, particularly when medical data is part of the process, and this no doubt also involves the federal Food & Drug Administration due to them regulating wearable medical devices.

But forget about that. It's not about posing questions that could potentially uncover sloppy management of a person's medical data, it's obviously just about political fame. :rolleyes:

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
It's not a publicity stunt. This Attorney General made
But forget about that. It's not about posing questions that could potentially uncover sloppy management of a person's medical data, it's obviously just about political fame. :rolleyes:

Its grandstanding, there are all the laws existing laws that perfectly cover all those things and he knows it. So, indeed, it is done for political reasons. A few months before elections, everything is done for political reasons.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
The watch tries to do too much. Ideally, it should be Watch functions + Siri + Audio phone calls + + Health functions + Audio notifications, in that order of priority and independent of an iPhone. The whole 64 apps thing is ridiculous and I burst out laughing when Tim Cook was navigating tiny photos. Oh and using crown dials on mechanical watches was a miserable experience then, and probably will be now. I don't understand why they didn't go for a front-facing Rolex-like wheel, which is far more pleasurable to use. I wanted it to be the only device I would need on a long bike ride. As it is, I don't get what it's for.

To be fair though, they nailed the straps and customizability.

How much will it cost to replace the battery?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Is it me or does this seem a bit premature on the part of the Attorney General?

Actually its a very smart move. Better to address the issues now before its out than to have to answer for possible issues after they occur. it makes him appear proactive, concerned about his people etc.

----------

I am surprised that Healthkit information ISN'T stored in the web.

it isn't that it isn't stored in the web. It's that it's not stored in iCloud. Good move by Apple as there are tons of laws that regulate the storing of health information. By preventing apps from storing that information, Apple pushes the compliance concerns on the app developers

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
They can't even run a business (USPS), why would you expect them to teach anyone anything other than being currupt?

Because government education is a worldwide failure...

----------

He must be a Democrat. Always looking for ways to insert government control into your private business.

Whereas Republicans merely wish to add more government control in the bedroom ;).

brucebrendon

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2007
UK
i'd been wondering about security of watch payments, presume it doesn't have a fingerprint reader (and that it'll mean clash chaos if you're using an additional NFC payment/travel card – in your watch (left-only) hand)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'm as surprised as most people (not really)

Any tech that must rely of location and etc, means privacy issues.

The same thing happened with "Location Services" on iOS leaking data, and Apple plugged it..

And i think we'll see a repeat of the #watch

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Why read Apple documentation of the health kit API to answer your questions when you can write an open letter and gain personal publicity...

Lazy politicians, just like lazy users... RTFM !!!

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
So what about all these other apps, devices, etc... that track our personal habits like sleep cycles, fitness information (distance, speed, heartrate, pace, route), etc...?

Fitbit
Nike Fuelband
Samsung Galaxy Gear

Hell, my Garmin Forerunner 405 tracks my location, pace, speed, distance, heartrate, etc... and then uploads it to Garmins website.

My Runkeeper app keeps track of pretty much the same info and uploads it to a website as well.

These are all health related apps and devices that track our personnal information. What kind of restrictions are on those devices. We aren't talking about keeping track of my open heart surgery, or a biopsy will be tracked on the Apple Watch. A lot of the information that will be tracked by the Apple Watch and the Health app will be how active are you. Do you run, walk, how far, are you seditary, etc... Things that are already tracked by many other devices already on the market and sold by tons of other companies.

Was Samsung's Gear watch targeted like this? But lets look at this from a different view. This is being brought up because Apple has the potential to actually get their device(s) into Millions of customers hands/arms versus Samsung who's Gear watch will be purchased in limited quantities (few hundred thousand more than likely). So it is a concern because it can cast a much larger shadow over a larger portion of the population than a competitor's product can so it is more of a threat than said competitor's product.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, basically what your saying is, "with so many other non-Apple devices already tracking us aka mobile carrier, why should it matter that one more wearable device does the same thing."

We can keep saying that the more gadgets we get, and it will be endless.

However, maybe their more privacy issues from Apple, than Samsung. I wonder how they react, do they get this much attention ??

Of this all of this, not really that big a deal, and we will all just resort to ".... if we don't use it, & have user-control over something, turn it off"

But then, we'll still wonder........

ummm... oh well... i'm out of ideas..... stay off your ISP ???

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
It's not a publicity stunt. This Attorney General made a similar request to other companies that have released wearable technologies that store user data, such as Google. Apple is not the first. You'd probably know that if you actually read the press release.

The Attorney General has a responsibility to ensure that privacy laws are enforced in the State of Connecticut, particularly when medical data is part of the process, and this no doubt also involves the federal Food & Drug Administration due to them regulating wearable medical devices.

Almost all of his questions are already answered by information released by Apple. If he's just doing his job, he could have don't some basic research to actually ask questions that you couldn't answer via a google search. It's pure grandstanding.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Because government education is a worldwide failure...

----------

Whereas Republicans merely wish to add more government control in the bedroom ;).

Haha. People think because I don't like the government that I'm of a political preference. Im not a democrat or republican. They both can suck it. I'm a human being who just doesn't like the US Corrupt government.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.