Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brooklynapplefan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2015
are there any apps that the watch can run without the iphone ? Ones you can download from the apple store? I bet you if not will be on the next one maybe

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Not Yet BUT the word on the street is that iOS9 (being launched at WWDC 2015 in June) will have support for native apps! So soon!~

msavich

macrumors member
May 31, 2015
FWIW, it seems that the Watch can run third-party apps as long as it is on the same network as the iPhone.

Brooklynapplefan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2015
Same network? But if i dont have my phone and i am at a park lets say ? Or if i am home and my phone is at my friends house

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Same network? But if i dont have my phone and i am at a park lets say ? Or if i am home and my phone is at my friends house
No - if the iPhone and Watch are not close enough to pair via bluetooth, they will pair on a "known" Wifi network - like your home or office. Most public networks (like Starbucks) are not supposed to work, but I have not tried it.
Some of the built in apps (Music - if you have some music synced to the Watch; Photos - again if you have some photos synced to the Watch, tell time, the Workout App/Activity Circles will work, watch face to tell time) will work without the iPhone paired. I think there are a few other things that the Watch can do when it is not actually paired to your iPhone.
But most apps - especially the 3rd party ones - are nothing more than extensions of the iPhone app and need access to the iPhone and it's apps to actually work/update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.