Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john991

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
So I got a new Apple Watch 6 and do a nightly iCloud backup of my iPhone. Which I thought backs up the watch. Apparently not for me. I tried to pair the watch and restore from backup, but only see backups from 2019. So I connected the iPhone to the computer and backed up both to the computer and iCloud using encryption. Then tried to pair the new watch again, nope the only restore options I have is from 2019. (probably from my unpairing of the watch)

I don't really want to unpair the old watch and pair the new watch for a restore. My problem is something may screw up and I lose all my health data.

going to general, iPhone storage, watch I only see the 2019 backups...

Anyone have a workaround for this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: MacRealist91

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
You miss understand how Watch backup works.

Your watch is only backed up as part of your iPhone backup when your watch has been unpaired. Un-pairing your watch is the only time it is backed up on your iPhone. So then you want to backup your iPhone to the cloud. Sorry but that's how it works.

Dave

Reactions: zecanard

john991

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
You miss understand how Watch backup works.

Your watch is only backed up as part of your iPhone backup when your watch has been unpaired. Un-pairing your watch is the only time it is backed up on your iPhone. So then you want to backup your iPhone to the cloud. Sorry but that's how it works.

Dave

What if you have two watches? Unpair and repair to restore on both watches?

Twenty7Delta

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I have a new series 6, I have never unpaired it but there is a backup under “iPhone storage” with a date and time that matches the date and time of my last iPhone backup to iCloud

I am interested in any answers to this as my wife’s watch doesn’t appear to be backing up. Not a huge deal as her watch is simple to set up

MacRealist91

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
I’m having the same issue here. Series 6 appears to not be able to restore from backup on my account. I’m really annoyed with having to setup multiple times.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I have paired and upaired already several generations of Apple Waches. The backup never really worked as it should. Setting up the Series 6 I did not even bother with it again. I set it up as new watch. All you lose is your current app "setup", the settings of the watch and the watchfaces.
All your data comes back from the iPhone, all apps are installed again on the watch. Music and pictures are not backed up anyway.
Unpairing and pairing the old watch takes a lot more time. Besides that it is a good way to clean up the apps and - hohoo: discovering new setting options on the watch, you didn't even know before, because you have not looked at the settings for a looong time.

Reactions: MacRealist91

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have a new series 6, I have never unpaired it but there is a backup under “iPhone storage” with a date and time that matches the date and time of my last iPhone backup to iCloud

I am interested in any answers to this as my wife’s watch doesn’t appear to be backing up. Not a huge deal as her watch is simple to set up
I found the same in iPhone storage so I assume my watch backup is working as designed

GzyOnline

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
I've unpaired my Apple Watch Series 6 twice now, before restoring my iPhone, hoping that it would back-up, and it never does, it just unpairs the watch.. what gives?

charlesnyc

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2021
SOLUTION: I just had this "can't find recent backup" issue with my new Watch Series 7 and here's the story: when I unpaired my Apple Watch Series 5, from which I was upgrading, it was running the latest WatchOS 8.1. But when my new Series 7 was manufactured, it was loaded with WatchOS 8.0.1, which was the latest version at that time. Result: it wasn't able to "see" the backup made via 8.1. The workaround is a pain, but it's your only option and solves the problem: I had to pair and set up my Series 7 as a new Apple Watch. Then I immediately updated it to the latest WatchOS 8.1. Then I unpaired it, then re-paired it again, but this time setting up from a backup and voila--there was the most recent backup from my Series 5 in the list, which the Series 7 Watch could now see.

Key Takeaways:

If you always keep your Apple Watch updated to the latest OS, there is a good probability that your current Watch will be running a newer OS than your new Watch, which will have whatever was the latest OS at the time of manufacture. So it's likely that many people run into this problem of a new Watch being unable to "see" their most recent backup.

Your Apple Watch does not continuously backup to your iPhone. It only performs a backup when you unpair it, which is likely to be when you sell or upgrade it. This is why, when a new Watch can't see the most recent backup, the "newest" backup you'll see is from the last previous backup, which might be years ago, depending on when you bought your Watch.

Apple should address this issue, or at least make it widely known as a possible problem via the setup instructions, so consumers know what to do if they run into it. It took me 90 minutes on the phone with AppleCare and escalation to senior tech support to learn what to do.

Last edited:

Lill-Q

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2016
SOLUTION: I just had this "can't find recent backup" issue with my new Watch Series 7 and here's the story: when I unpaired my Apple Watch Series 5, from which I was upgrading, it was running the latest WatchOS 8.1. But when my new Series 7 was manufactured, it was loaded with WatchOS 8.0.1, which was the latest version at that time. Result: it wasn't able to "see" the backup made via 8.1. The workaround is a pain, but it's your only option and solves the problem: I had to pair and set up my Series 7 as a new Apple Watch. Then I immediately updated it to the latest WatchOS 8.1. Then I unpaired it, then re-paired it again, but this time setting up from a backup and voila--there was the most recent backup from my Series 5 in the list, which the Series 7 Watch could now see.

Key Takeaways:

If you always keep your Apple Watch updated to the latest OS, there is a good probability that your current Watch will be running a newer OS than your new Watch, which will have whatever was the latest OS at the time of manufacture. So it's likely that many people run into this problem of a new Watch being unable to "see" their most recent backup.

Your Apple Watch does not continuously backup to your iPhone. It only performs a backup when you unpair it, which is likely to be when you sell or upgrade it. This is why, when a new Watch can't see the most recent backup, the "newest" backup you'll see is from the last previous backup, which might be years ago, depending on when you bought your Watch.

Apple should address this issue, or at least make it widely known as a possible problem via the setup instructions, so consumers know what to do if they run into it. It took me 90 minutes on the phone with AppleCare and escalation to senior tech support to learn what to do.
I’ve been struggling restoring my new Series 7 from my Series 4 backup for the last few hours - I nearly got a heart attack when having unpaired the latter and not seeing the backup reflected in my new watch.

Tried restoring my old watch and there, to my relief, the backup was, so I thought perhaps it just took a while for the backup to register in iCloud or whatever. But then when trying to set up my new Series 7, the recently made Series 4 backup was missing yet again.

I figured it might have been a software version mismatch thing (out of date new iPhone’s solve this by first updating to the firmware of the back up) so started restoring it from the last backup available, made two years ago in 2019.

While my new watch was busy being restored to the old backup I found this thread - thank you for confirming this was the issue! After now having updated and unpaired the watch I see the latest backups. This seems like something Apple should get on and fix ASAP.

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
SOLUTION: I just had this "can't find recent backup" issue with my new Watch Series 7 and here's the story:
Thanks so much for this. Just took delivery of my series 7 and was initially dismayed not to see my backup listed. You’re right that Apple should think of a way to explain this as I’m sure it will affect many people. Performing your steps now…

Reactions: Lill-Q

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

Key Takeaways:

An old thread I know but thank you so much for this 🙏🏽

I had the very same issue with my Series 4 watch recently died. I had to buy a new Series 7 just last week and when I then went restore from my S4 back up, it could only see very old back ups from my ancient Series 0 watch!!!

I had to set up my S7 as new which obviously meant that I lost all my previous watch faces.

At least I now know what I need to do to get them all back.

Thanks again. :)👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.