Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
So, yesterday I was trying to rush and place my order before delivery dates started to slip that I picked a band color I’m now not too crazy about. Do you all know if we are able to exchange the Apple Watch band only without having to return the Apple Watch?

Reactions: jazz1

CanadaPanda

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2018
So, yesterday I was trying to rush and place my order before delivery dates started to slip that I picked a band color I’m now not too crazy about. Do you all know if we are able to exchange the Apple Watch band only without having to return the Apple Watch?
I sure hope so because I ordered a solo loop with mine and am worried it won’t be the right size as I’ve never bought a solo loop before. I did use a measuring tape per Apple instructions so I hope it’s correct.

GaryPSU

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
New Jersey
Same here. I hope so too

fauxtog

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2017
The band I chose with my watch last year was too small, I had to exchange the the watch and band, they would not just swap out the band. I ordered on-line though.

beachbum45

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2013
California
The band I chose with my watch last year was too small, I had to exchange the the watch and band, they would not just swap out the band. I ordered on-line though.
Good to know. I’ll probably be trying to exchange my band tomorrow so I’ll report back what my experience is.

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Last year at launch they made you exchange the whole thing but later on they amended it so that you could just swap the band.

Reactions: 3Rock

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have read that the official policy is that you must return the entire package and repurchase... but I've also seen reports (including some above), that the seem to indicate that the stores/managers have some flexibility on if/how this is enforced. Good luck.

Last edited:

riffola

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
NYC
I just picked up my pre-order. I didn’t like how the black solo loop looks on the midnight Apple Watch. So they did a “no receipt” band exchange to Abyss Blue

Attachments

• 65F0FD2B-708D-4138-96D7-E7C4AA3E99B0.jpeg
    65F0FD2B-708D-4138-96D7-E7C4AA3E99B0.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 381

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Edit: it turns out that the custom configuration is not available, so the only alternative would’ve been a no receipt return, but I was advised that that would make the watch unreturnable so I went ahead and took it with the band that was packaged with. Sorry for the misinformation earlier.

I’m at the Apple Store now picking up my SS watch. I was offered either a no receipt or a custom configuration swap. They told me that if the swapped the BAND with a no receipt return I wouldn’t be able to return the WATCH later. We went with the custom configuration.

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryPSU

beachbum45

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2013
California
Edit: it turns out that the custom configuration is not available, so the only alternative would’ve been a no receipt return, but I was advised that that would make the watch unreturnable so I went ahead and took it with the band that was packaged with. Sorry for the misinformation earlier.

I’m at the Apple Store now picking up my SS watch. I was offered either a no receipt or a custom configuration swap. They told me that if the swapped the BAND with a no receipt return I wouldn’t be able to return the WATCH later. We went with the custom configuration.
Why would someone not want to do the custom configuration swap in that case, I wonder.

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
I’m heading to the Apple Store. I will update
Quick update. It’s impossible to exchange the band so I take the watch like that. In France, we have 14 days to change our mind and have a refund so I’ll see.
The good point is that they take my SE for trade in

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
Just walked out and same story. Bought an SS Graphite with Abyss Blue sport band this morning for pick up since it was the only model available. They had the band I wanted at the store, but I would have had to do a return for the whole thing to swap the band. The check out options for them did not have a separate option for the band at this time.

i just took it as is and left.

Skunkape123

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Just walked out and same story. Bought an SS Graphite with Abyss Blue sport band this morning for pick up since it was the only model available. They had the band I wanted at the store, but I would have had to do a return for the whole thing to swap the band. The check out options for them did not have a separate option for the band at this time.

i just took it as is and left.
Every store must be different which is bizarre. I went to pick up my SS Graphite as well, and wanted to trade the Abyss blue band, said they can do it without an issue, wouldn't need to do a whole re-turn re-buy. Unfortunately they said they have to call apple in order to do it? Which didn't make sense to me, but said the holds times were about an hour, and I didn't have the time. But said I could do it within the 14 day window without a problem.

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
It seems I´m lucky. One hour ago I was at Appe Store Berlin to get my new watch and they changed the band I´ve ordered to another. From nike sport to sport loop. Great!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Why would someone not want to do the custom configuration swap in that case, I wonder.
You would, and the store person said it was possible, but the system wouldn't accept the swap for the watch/strap SKU. They offered a no receipt return, but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to like the new display so I want to make sure that the watch is returnable - so for now I'll hold onto the strap. If the S7 is a winner, I think I can try a no receipt return for the strap within the 14 day return period (although I don't actually know that).

Quick update. It’s impossible to exchange the band so I take the watch like that. In France, we have 14 days to change our mind and have a refund so I’ll see.
The good point is that they take my SE for trade in
That sounds like what I'm doing, except that I didn't trade in my S6 today because I'm not completely certain that I'll keep the S7.

Reactions: beachbum45

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
You would, and the store person said it was possible, but the system wouldn't accept the swap for the watch/strap SKU. They offered a no receipt return, but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to like the new display so I want to make sure that the watch is returnable - so for now I'll hold onto the strap. If the S7 is a winner, I think I can try a no receipt return for the strap within the 14 day return period (although I don't actually know that).

That sounds like what I'm doing, except that I didn't trade in my S6 today because I'm not completely certain that I'll keep the S7.
I went back to the Store today and they swipe my band without problem !

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'm planning to keep this Series 7 so I'll stop by the store and see if they will return or swap the band. I need to trade in my S6, too. Hopefully both go smoothly.

Whitster

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
It absolutely is possible to exchange just the watch band. I've just done it. Ordered Series 7 online and collected it earlier in the week. The Solo Band was far too loose for me (despite carefully measuring when ordering). Went into the store today to ask to exchange the Solo Band for the same colour in the Sports Band. All done with no issues. There's an official process for doing it (the staff member I spoke with had to have a colleague come over to show her) whereby they class it as a product swap. They scan the barcode on your original order email. They then double check and take the Serial Number of your Apple Watch. Then you exchange the band for the new one that you want. Soon after I received a new email invoice for a "new" order of a whole Apple Watch with the new band but obviously with no charge on the invoice.

This is all despite the person on Apple Support app originally telling me this wasn't possible at all and that I'd have to return the whole watch and order a new one from scratch.

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
It absolutely is possible to exchange just the watch band. I've just done it. Ordered Series 7 online and collected it earlier in the week. The Solo Band was far too loose for me (despite carefully measuring when ordering). Went into the store today to ask to exchange the Solo Band for the same colour in the Sports Band. All done with no issues. There's an official process for doing it (the staff member I spoke with had to have a colleague come over to show her) whereby they class it as a product swap. They scan the barcode on your original order email. They then double check and take the Serial Number of your Apple Watch. Then you exchange the band for the new one that you want. Soon after I received a new email invoice for a "new" order of a whole Apple Watch with the new band but obviously with no charge on the invoice.

This is all despite the person on Apple Support app originally telling me this wasn't possible at all and that I'd have to return the whole watch and order a new one from scratch.
It was exactly the same thing for me yesterday

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.