Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Hey folks. I just wanted to share my experience getting my wife’s Apple Watch battery replaced from Apple.

With Apple either slowing down adding new features or just not being able to add many new features like new sensors, its never been a better time to keep your watches longer.

My wife’s watch recently started to die before the end of the day. I took a look at the battery health, and it was 76%. Apple will replace not just the battery, but the whole Apple Watch with a new or refurbished model for $79. Since I bought her a used S5 stainless steel model for around $300 almost two years ago, I thought it prudent to just spend the $79, and let her use it for another 3+ years.

We will see what Apple can come out with then, but I thought if anyone has an S4 or later, and Apple hasn’t added enough new features for them to upgrade, this is a great option. Especially if the person bought one of the more premium models like stainless steel, ceramic, or titanium. The key is that the battery health has to be below 80% for them to replace it.

Hopefully this information can help someone who has this problem.

Last edited:

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I just did this with a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5in, just paid £100 too Apple for a battery replacement and they sent me back a mint condition refurbished unit (a pleasant surprise) which will easily last me another few years as it's still super fast and does everything I need it to.

Reactions: rillrill

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hopefully this information can help someone who has this problem
If your purpose is to inform people of this option, may I suggest you change the thread title to something like "Apple Watch Battery Replacement for $79"? That way people can see the key info even if they don't click through to read the thread. You can change the thread title by editing the OP.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Dang! My battery health is 91%, year old Watch 6. I have no idea if that is good, bad, or normal.
I think it only matters if the battery is not lasting as long as you need it to. If it falls below 80%, then you can get it replaced for $79, like the OP says.

Reactions: nburwell

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Is it always the case that they replace the device completely (iPads & Watches)? For iPhones I assume that they just swap the battery and not the entire device.

I have an iPhone XS which is approaching 80% which is why I'm curious.

Reactions: mrandyyu and Ram65

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Is it always the case that they replace the device completely (iPads & Watches)? For iPhones I assume that they just swap the battery and not the entire device.

I would upgrade from the XS get away from them Intel Modems please

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York

Yeah, they just swap the battery. My father-in-law had an iPhone 7 forever that he replaced the battery and it ran great after changing out the battery.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I’m confused about the details here. You bought a second hand Watch and Apple still only charged $79 to replace it? How and why?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I’m confused about the details here. You bought a second hand Watch and Apple still only charged $79 to replace it? How and why?
I'm not sure why, but Apple has a policy to replace a battery that's below 80% health for $79, if the watch is out of warranty. If it's in warranty, they do it for free. Scroll all the way down to see it.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
I'm not sure why, but Apple has a policy to replace a battery that's below 80% health for $79, if the watch is out of warranty. If it's in warranty, they do it for free. Scroll all the way down to see it.
This is where buying AppleCare+ makes sense. In the likely event your (AOD model) drops below 80% in 2yrs you have already paid for the replacement and have 2yrs of accidental damage cover thrown in free.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
This is where buying AppleCare+ makes sense. In the likely event your (AOD model) drops below 80% in 2yrs you have already paid for the replacement and have 2yrs of accidental damage cover thrown in free.

I don‘t know how likely it is, though? I would guess that most 2 years old Watches would still be above 80% battery.

Reactions: AlexMac89

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I’m just going off of mine which is 86% after 13 months.
My S6, which I bought soon after release, is at 85%. It may be down to around 80% by the time the S8 is released. At that point, I plan to trade in the S6 and get the S8. So for me, battery replacement is something I'm unlikely to do.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Yeah. I have no idea why some batteries get way worse. My wife has the 40mm model, and I couldn’t believe how quickly it degraded. If I bought new I might get AppleCare, but I tend to buy gently used Apple products. I’m all about reusing tech over landfill.

Reactions: ManNBlack

kshitijshah

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
Sadly this option isn't available in countries like India and if the battery gets depleted the only option is to pay near new prices to replace the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.