Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Anyone see this from Lunatik?
Cracked me up.
Am I just closed-minded?

The watch is thick enough; I can't imagine wanting a protective case for it!

I'm sure there will be a market for it, though. :confused:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 263

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
To my eyes that looks just plain awful and ridiculous, but to each their own... *shrug* I'm sure some people are just gonna lurv it.

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
To my eyes that looks just plain awful and ridiculous, but to each their own... *shrug* I'm sure some people are just gonna lurv it.

Back in the day when we all Wear a iPod Nano as watch i got a LunaTik case for it. Love the design and quality of that body.

And i am also liking this case. Not buying it directly but like the idea of guys have a different look on the watch.

@Mnml for more great Design ideas btw.

czecho7

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010

Yea, I see where you're coming from. It definitely masks the beauty of the Apple Watch's design, but I can also see why some people would like it.

Back in the day when we all Wear a iPod Nano as watch i got a LunaTik case for it. Love the design and quality of that body.

And i am also liking this case. Not buying it directly but like the idea of guys have a different look on the watch.

@Mnml for more great Design ideas btw.

The LunaTik cases were awesome to wear the iPod nano as a watch, but now that the Apple Watch has been announced, the bulky look of those nano watches isn't as appealing to me anymore. Just my opinion.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
You know what...at first I laughed too. But then I thought about it. One of the main reasons why Im buying an Apple Watch is for its fitness features. Ive been thinking lately that Im probably going to have to go with the sport version because I'm afraid of getting the stainless steel one scratched up. But if I could buy a case (maybe not this one necessarily) that I could slip on rather quickly, buying the stainless steel version wouldn't be so scary.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Anyone see this from Lunatik?
Cracked me up.
Am I just closed-minded?

The watch is thick enough; I can't imagine wanting a protective case for it!

I'm sure there will be a market for it, though. :confused:

Hmm.. it's a water-proof case, is it not? Meaning you'll take the case off when you're out of a swimming pool, just like you did with your protective case for camera, to rinse it and let it dry for next time. So what's look gotta do with it? Or am I missing something? ???

The only criteria for consideration should be how easy it is to put on or take off.

Last edited:

czecho7

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Hmm.. it's a water-proof case, is it not? Meaning you'll take the case off when you're out of a swimming pool, just like you did with your protective case for camera, to rinse it and let it dry for next time. So what's look gotta do with it? Or am I missing something? ???

It's described as "Premium Rugged Protection for your Apple Watch." So it's intended to be worn at all times as a protective case for Apple Watch, not just for swimming. Whether you use it all the time or just when swimming, the look has a lot to do with it. Design, especially as Apple customers, has a lot to do with why we buy products. If someone doesn't like the design of something, it's less likely that they'll buy it.

In my opinion, it's a nice case for Apple Watch, if you don't mind a bulkier look, and if you need protection from the elements, for people who engage in more "rugged" activities. For anyone who simply wants to wear their Apple Watch in water... well, they might wait for a case that preserves more of Apple's design.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
It's described as "Premium Rugged Protection for your Apple Watch." So it's intended to be worn at all times as a protective case for Apple Watch, not just for swimming. Whether you use it all the time or just when swimming, the look has a lot to do with it. Design, especially as Apple customers, has a lot to do with why we buy products. If someone doesn't like the design of something, it's less likely that they'll buy it.

In my opinion, it's a nice case for Apple Watch, if you don't mind a bulkier look, and if you need protection from the elements, for people who engage in more "rugged" activities. For anyone who simply wants to wear their Apple Watch in water... well, they might wait for a case that preserves more of Apple's design.

I guess it depends on how you first saw it. I first saw it like this:

image-E0A9_54F40A87.jpg

so I have no problem with it at all. For me, this case is only for swimming. And I need to take it off to rinse and dry it for the next swim anyway. I yet to have a waterproof case for camera that isn't bulky.

Last edited:

extricated

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas

The only criteria for consideration should be how easy it is to put on or take off.

LunaTik's Instagram stated "5ATM" water resistance.
Like you indicated, if it can be put on and taken off easily it would be great for swimmers.

We've yet to see a statement from Apple on water resistance (maybe Monday?). If it's on par with Lunatik's case, I don't see a need.
Though some will, undoubtedly, want the extra protection.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
LunaTik's Instagram stated "5ATM" water resistance.
That's not much, I doubt very many traditional watch makers recommend you go swimming with only a 5ATM rating, for any length of time at least. Splashing about a bit in the shallow end, sure, but I'd be wary of anything beyond that. Especially diving in, as that might possibly cause the relatively weak seals to leak.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
That's not much, I doubt very many traditional watch makers recommend you go swimming with only a 5ATM rating, for any length of time at least. Splashing about a bit in the shallow end, sure, but I'd be wary of anything beyond that. Especially diving in, as that might possibly cause the relatively weak seals to leak.

Agreed. I also think we could see 5ATM with the Apple Watch, which is why I laughed when I first saw the Lunatik case.

Then again, would 5ATM plus 5ATM equal 10ATM? :D
Definitely not a dive watch, but perhaps an extra measure of protection for those who swim a few laps at the gym?

Regardless, I have no desire to put a case on my Apple Watch.

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
Many people buy watches for the way they look, so I don't see the point in this, but to each their own.

For me a watch has to serve a function or I would not wear it. If it was just about looks, a person might as well tie a colorful ribbon around their wrist! This case looks like something I will check into because of my job, it might prolong the life of the watch even in a tough environment

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I could see a very thin rubber-ish material like some iPhone cases to protect against bumps/scratch. I would be interested to see if they will offer screen protectors, either glass or film. And will the film companies offer full body protection like an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.