Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
My AW4 would chime during the night occasionally.

Someone suggested that the back of the 4 was more convex than the earlier incarnations, and I tried to find the original cord that came with it, and couldn't. After having it chime again several times overnight last week, I took a leap of faith and ordered the 'updated' puck, and...

It fits like a glove, and there is no 'slop' in the fit on the magnetic flip bit. I'm so stunned, and happy! And wondering where the charging cords have all gone to. They must be hiding with my still AWOL Pencil!

Will the same base fit the AW5? The 6? (The 7?) How many of these will I end up with in a drawer in 5 years... *sigh*

jarrodldavis

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
I’ve been having this issue with my Apple Watch Series 4 but with the Magnetic Charging Dock I bought quite a few years ago. On more than one occasion my watch just stops charging overnight even though it’s still on the stand.

I think I’ll give your suggestion a try and find the original Charger that came with my Series 4 and see if that helps…

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Maybe I didn't use the correct terminology, my bad. This is the 'puck' that has the flip up. I'll post a picture.

It's an older style that worked perfectly with the AW3, and below (somewhat). I'd imagine the new one would work with the AW5 and 6 really well, and actually the older ones too, because it's deeper, but not 'DEEP', if you catch my drift.

Here it is:

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 5.24.13 PM.png

And I kept looking for AW charging cables and couldn't see where they were that different (and were likely all older cables), but the AW4 fits the new one puck perfectly, where the earlier model

Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock​

had a lot of slop in the fit. Enough apparently to cause it to not charge properly if off angle just enough. It was maddening. *CHIME* Groan *CHIME* Again? *CHIME* What?!? *CHIME* Is that your damn watch?!? *CHIME* Yank it off the

and leave it gasping for electricity, but being blessedly very silent. And then the next day, having to wedge the charging cable puck under the AW as I try to charge it while wearing it. *sigh* I FINALLY gave in, and blew $80+ for some peace of mind, or something...

I have to say that the old

did work, like 97.362% of the time, but the last 2.368% of the time, it's like having a cat that wants to be on the other side of the door, no matter which side you put them on. ARG!!! It would refuse to quiet down even after being jostled and removed and put back on the

so, yeah...

Oh, and it's called the

, in case you haven't followed along... If you have a needy AW4, and the older version of the

and it *chimes occasionally, it's a warning that Apple wants you to give them money. Just say yes. :D:cool:

You are welcome. Sleep well, my friend...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.