Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
It was time to leave work, I visited the toilet and on my way out caught my Apple Watch stainless steel model on the door. One deep scratch with a pointy bit sticky up, and a deep scratch in the /bottom middle of the stainless steel and near the sapphire display.

Annoying but I had nothing to lose. Sapphire hard as diamond! apparently!

Well, here are the steps I used!
1. brillo pad scratches (which remove the sticky up metal)
2. nail file the remaining scratches (not a metal one but a sandpaper type material one)
3. autosol the area until shiny

I wish I had taken photos because the scratches have virtually gone and they were quite deep.

Also, i did brillo pad and nail file the screen (it was hard not to) and the sapphire has not one single mark on it!

If I had the sport watch I would have to get a new one.

I bet if I polished it more, I could remove the scratches completely.

So, don't baby the watch, use it, if it's scratches, it's easy to fix! Stainless steel model anyway!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It was time to leave work, I visited the toilet and on my way out caught my Apple Watch stainless steel model on the door. One deep scratch with a pointy bit sticky up, and a deep scratch in the /bottom middle of the stainless steel and near the sapphire display.

Annoying but I had nothing to lose. Sapphire hard as diamond! apparently!

Well, here are the steps I used!
1. brillo pad scratches (which remove the sticky up metal)
2. nail file the remaining scratches (not a metal one but a sandpaper type material one)
3. autosol the area until shiny

I wish I had taken photos because the scratches have virtually gone and they were quite deep.

Also, i did brillo pad and nail file the screen (it was hard not to) and the sapphire has not one single mark on it!

If I had the sport watch I would have to get a new one.

I bet if I polished it more, I could remove the scratches completely.

So, don't baby the watch, use it, if it's scratches, it's easy to fix! Stainless steel model anyway!

Do You want to post photos of your repaired Apple Watch display for others to see what the minimal scratches look like as of now?

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Do You want to post photos of your repaired Apple Watch display for others to see what the minimal scratches look like as of now?
I totally forgot.

Here is the watch afterwards. Believe it or not there was a huge scratch in the middle which looked the same as if it was filed and wasn't shiny anymore. Look carefully and you can see a hint of one. That has virtually gone. The one of the right I have circled was quite deep. I really should have taken a before photo. I created a simulated one. It kinda looked like this.

Sapphire though, not one mark! Amazing!

Before (simulated): https://honglong1976.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/scratch_aw.jpg

scratch_aw.jpg

Afterwards: https://honglong1976.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/img_0120.jpg

img_0120.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.