Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Stupid question, I know it is, but just looking for users experiences with an Apple Watch while swimming?

I have the series 0 currently but will be upgrading when series 4 is available. Series 0 was never designed to go near water and I've therefore never swam with it.

How has the watch held up over time when using in water? Any concerns?

I have a slight fear of using the watch in water so mostly looking for reassurance all is as should be!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 50 m water resistance works really well for pool and ocean capabilities. Obviously there is *no*guarantee that It will survive, but I think you will find out a large majority of forum members have had no issues using it in the water. One thing I can suggest, is when you do wear your watch in the water, if you have the option of drying it off, that would also be beneficial.

Reactions: dave006

derf36

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
I switched from a Series 0 to 3 in February.

Since Feb I've been in the pool maybe 80 times, plus another dozen lake swims. It's been flawless.

Don't be worried about the water. This thing is built to be on your wrist in the pool.

PS. The metrics have been perfect too. Now if only I can get that swolf down.

R.

Reactions: Lennyvalentin

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I wore my S3 in a shower, a hydrotherapy pool and a jacuzzi with no ill effects at all.

SpudEdwards

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2018
Stupid question, I know it is, but just looking for users experiences with an Apple Watch while swimming?

I have the series 0 currently but will be upgrading when series 4 is available. Series 0 was never designed to go near water and I've therefore never swam with it.

I have a slight fear of using the watch in water so mostly looking for reassurance all is as should be!
I’ve had both series 2 and 3 watches and swim laps twice a week. I’m in the pool for an hour each session and have had no issues so far.

Adric88

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2016

Had my series 3 at the water park several times over the summer with no ill effects

In the last 3+ years I've brought my series 0 (and replacement series 1) into pools, lakes, hot tubs, and even the ocean dozens of times. Probably in excess of 100 times. No problems at all on a "non-waterproof version". The only change in the new models (in my estimation) is the ability to squirt water out of the speaker.

Reactions: mmomega

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In the last 3+ years I've brought my series 0 (and replacement series 1) into pools, lakes, hot tubs, and even the ocean dozens of times. Probably in excess of 100 times. No problems at all on a "non-waterproof version". The only change in the new models (in my estimation) is the ability to squirt water out of the speaker.

The Only thing I want to caution you of, is using the Apple Watch in a sauna or hot tub, not because the water exposure, but because of the steam that can penetrate past the water seals. I’m not saying your Apple Watch will have any issues, but plenty of members have experienced their Series 2/Series 3 fail because of steam. I personally wouldn’t risk it myself, but it’s worth noting for others to at least read this post.

Reactions: Mad Mac Maniac

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

My S0 aluminum watch still works and has been in the pool hundreds of times as well as hot showers and hot tubs.
My S3 SS gets the same treatment unless I have the leather band on. Sport bands will go with me swimming but not an Hermes band.

Mileage may vary

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I swim with my Series 3 in the pool and sea 2 to 3 times per week. Never had any issues. After swimming in the sea/ocean I’d recommend washing the watch in fresh water in-order to get the salt off. Apart from that I wouldn’t worry.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
i‘ve worn my series 0 when swimming since I got it. At least 100 times, mostly in pools. So I‘m not concerned about the „true“ water-resistant series 2 and later. just make sure to rinse it with clean water afterwards or salt / chlorine could corrode the seals.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Water resistance,yes. Waterproof,no
I think this is your biggest point. It is resistant to water, not proof. Others have pointed out that the seal could be compromised and that could obviously cause issues. You can make a case with Apple, but milage will vary.

Some rumors of the series 4 suggest that the digital crown and button will be come solid state and use the haptic engine to drive the "feel" of a button (ala model iPhone 7 and beyond home button). That should help with the water resistance.

It seems annoying to be fighting over a word - proof versus resistance. But it makes a significant difference.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I've worn every AW (Series 0, 2, 3 anyway) every day in the shower with no issues. I wouldn't use in a hot sauna or with steam however... and rinse chlorine/salt off.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I think this is your biggest point. It is resistant to water, not proof. Others have pointed out that the seal could be compromised and that could obviously cause issues. You can make a case with Apple, but milage will vary.

Some rumors of the series 4 suggest that the digital crown and button will be come solid state and use the haptic engine to drive the "feel" of a button (ala model iPhone 7 and beyond home button). That should help with the water resistance.

It seems annoying to be fighting over a word - proof versus resistance. But it makes a significant difference.

Note that "waterproof" and "water resistant" have specific legal meanings in the US. That situation may vary in other nations, though consumer protection terminology in a major market like the US or EU has a way of crossing borders.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Note that "waterproof" and "water resistant" have specific legal meanings in the US. That situation may vary in other nations, though consumer protection terminology in a major market like the US or EU has a way of crossing borders.

More specifically, and I think what you’re missing, is that the term ‘waterproof’ cannot exist by watch manufacturers in the U.S. regulated by the FTC.

https://beckertime.com/blog/why-there-are-not-any-waterproof-watches/

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I'm not sure why you are concerned about the Series 0 if you are going to be upgrading to the Series 4.

The watches have been "waterproof" since Series 2. That's the reason I upgraded to S2 from my S0. And since - I've swam with the S2 in the ocean many times, in the pool tons of time, etc., and it's still perfect.

I love lying on a raft in the pool, and being able to control my music from my AW.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
While the S0 was "not designed" for water I brought it in the pool a number of times and even the ocean without an issue. This was about 2 years or so ago. Now that I have the S3 I don't even think about water anymore.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Not that it's going to affect how I treat the watch, but I believe the Apple warranty does NOT cover water intrusion. So if you take your watch into the pool Apple says it should be fine, but if it's not they won't repair it for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.