Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikosb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I am doing a project for wearable devices like smartwatches and I have a few questions about the Apple Watch. I don't own one so I thought I would post here.

1. When using Apple Maps or Google Maps does the screen remain always on showing the route/map directions?

2. If one is not wearing the watch on the wrist, but instead the watch is mounted on a mount like is shown below, does the watch have full functionality? Can you still see messages, music, navigation directions?

satechi-apple-watch-mount.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: InvertedGoldfish

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Do people actually strap it to the steering wheel? 😂

Society really is going down hill eh

I’ve had it on my wrist riding motorcycles, it’s off, but a flick of the wrist and it’s on, plus it vibrates, kinda all you need

I also use apple maps instead of google for safety reasons

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
One nice feature of the Apple watch is that it locks (for security reasons) when it is removed from your wrist. A dishonest cleaner at your hotel can't nab it off your charging puck and make Apple Pay purchases with it, can't unlock your Mac laptop with it, nor peek at your confidential data. I believe it can be unlocked when off-wrist, though I haven't had a need to do so.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
One nice feature of the Apple watch is that it locks (for security reasons) when it is removed from your wrist. A dishonest cleaner at your hotel can't nab it off your charging puck and make Apple Pay purchases with it, can't unlock your Mac laptop with it, nor peek at your confidential data. I believe it can be unlocked when off-wrist, though I haven't had a need to do so.

I can, but then it will lock again quite swiftly.

You can disable wrist detection if you don't use the wallet features. I don't know how well that works. I know with wrist detection on, when you take the watch off it also disables the always on display, but I'm not sure how that works with wrist detection off.

Either way, it's a watch, a device that's meant to be worn on your wrist.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
i wonder if some one who has experimented with this:

if you are not holding the watch; with the watch on a charger; and you put that watch in a different room;
its clear from the above posters (most of them) that the watch will ring even though the its not on the wrist.

my question is, can posters who experience this, after the watch starts ringing, can you answer the call on the watch after you enter the passcode? or, after you enter the passcode on the watch you cant actually answer the phone call?
id like to know that for future considerations about security.

also; a few posters in this thread have confirmed that (for example), when they are out of the house without the watch on their wrist, that the watch left at home will ring (as confirmed by a family member).
i am curious about the reverse: if all i have with me is my watch (on my wristI, will the iPhone that is left at home also ring?

apple knows which device(s) is/are with me, in my immediate proximity, which devices are hooked up to the same local WiFi network (but possibly is a different area of the house), and it also knows which device i am currently using (within the last few seconds) and which devices are on stand-by through not having been used within a certain amount of time.
when im on my iPhone, Messages notifications do not appear on my Mac if i haven't used it for a few minutes, for example.

personally, the way that i would prefer it to be is to ring only on the device that i am currently using; with the watch (if it is being worn) as the default device that always gets a ring since its being worn. apple would need to work with the carriers to accomplish this.

overlapping settings (Continuity, Notifications, Focus options); settings in various parts of the Settings area (Notifications; Focus, Mirroring etc); and settings across devices (on the Watch itself, as well on the iPhone (in the Watch app) all are beginning to reach its confusion point.

thewarm

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
I'm retired. I don't care what time it is.. :cool:
I use my SE2 in a 'pendant' case as a cell phone extension in my loft!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.