Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
Finally upgraded to the iOS 9 GM and updated my Apple Watch to watchOS 2.

Spent the evening hacking around with homebridge - a software HomeKit bridge implementation[1], getting it to talk to my home automation server (Domoticz) to control my LightwaveRF lights, my Philips Hue bridge and my Nest.

Conclusion: works OK, took a while for the Watch to even pick up any devices (slow sync of the HomeKit database maybe?), weakest link in the whole chain is Siri who seems to have got worse in iOS9 as far as voice recognition goes.

When it does work, its pretty neat...
Hey Siri...
Hey Siri...(part 2)

Couldn't get the Logitech Harmony integration working due to a bug in the code which I was unable to workaround.

The lag is obvious...first you have the time it takes for Siri to process, then send the commands to my home server, where they are then routed on to the appropriate service and then the device.

Apple need to keep working on Siri.

[1] https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge

EDIT: Re-uploaded videos to YouTube so they are the right orientation

Last edited:
Reactions: stusgt67

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Thanks for pointing out Homebridge. I have a Wink hub and would love to play around with this just for fun. I'd be interested in seeing what all can be accomplished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.