Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mohamed_Magdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
FECA130F-D3F3-4703-8E45-D01BDC9988F6.png
Hello all
Please help me i bought an used apple watch seried 1 and it was with the box and all its accessories and it was in a very good condition. I looked everything and it was working perfectely however it didn’t want to start pairing as it needs wifi connection and i was in the street.
When i went home and while trying to pair it mentioned that the software needs to be updated first in order to start.
However when i tried to update it gave me a message that its linked to an icloud acoount and asked for the email and password.
I tried to call the guy again he told me that he doesn’t know and will not help me and even refused to take it back and give me my money.
And know i can’t reach him anymore
Is there any way i can do a hard reset or anything to format the watch and unlink it from that email.
Please please help me
Thanx

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
My guess is that it wasn’t unpaired from the owner’s iPhone.

If you can use the Apple Watch itself (unless it has a passcode) do this:

On your Apple Watch, head to Settings > General > Reset. On the Reset screen, tap Erase All Content and Settings and then tap Continue to erase all media, data and settings.

Mohamed_Magdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
My guess is that it wasn’t unpaired from the owner’s iPhone.

If you can use the Apple Watch itself (unless it has a passcode) do this:

On your Apple Watch, head to Settings > General > Reset. On the Reset screen, tap Erase All Content and Settings and then tap Continue to erase all media, data and settings.

No the watch doesn’t open at all needs to be updated first
Is there anyway i can update it without connecting it to my phone

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL

I’ve never seen the watch not open and require an update, so I can’t say. I think you are out of luck unless someone else has an idea.

Seems like you may be stuck with a stolen watch.

madgibbon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2013

The watch needs to be paired to a phone in order to update. However as some else has said I've never seen a watch ask for an update. Normally the watch app notifies you of an update, you then choose whether to install update or not.

If you switch the watch off then back on what is the first thing you see after the Apple logo? In my case its the pin code screen, if there's no pin code you should see a watch face.

I have to agree with others, I believe this watch could be stolen.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
The Watch has activation lock activated. It was never unpaired from the previous iPhone that it was attached to. Either is stolen or the previous owner just didn’t unpair it before he sold it off/erased his iPhone.

Before when I switched iPhones I forgot to unpair my AW before wiping the data from my old phone. When I tried to pair my AW with my new iPhone it asked me for my AppleID and password to deactivate the activation lock. After I entered it in, I had no problems pairing it with my new iPhone.

Reactions: Mohamed_Magdy

Mohamed_Magdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
The watch needs to be paired to a phone in order to update. However as some else has said I've never seen a watch ask for an update. Normally the watch app notifies you of an update, you then choose whether to install update or not.

If you switch the watch off then back on what is the first thing you see after the Apple logo? In my case its the pin code screen, if there's no pin code you should see a watch face.

I have to agree with others, I believe this watch could be stolen.

When i open the watch the first thing appears is to choose the language and the country and when i start pairing the watch it gives me 2 options either to update the software or cancel the pairing

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
If the watch came with all accessories I doubt it's stolen, probably just the guy forgot.

If the watch came with its original receipt as well, you can take it to an Apple Store and they'll remove the activation lock for you

Reactions: Mohamed_Magdy

Mohamed_Magdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
EE434662-C702-454D-8090-5D4A650DC585.png
THIS IS THE message i got when i try to pair the watch with my phone and when i press update now it asks for the icloud email

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Looks like you bought a stolen Apple Watch and will never get your money back (Assuming you aren't lying). Hopefully you learned a lesson about the risks of buying Apple products in the manner you did. I would take the watch to the apple store or a police station so it can be returned to it's rightful owner and be more careful buying in the future. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. At least it was only a series 1 apple watch and not an iphone 7 :).

Of course, the other possibility with this being your first post ever on this forum is that you yourself stole it and are trying to get around the iCloud lock. Either way, you should give it to the police or the apple store so they can find its rightful owner who is probably said their apple watch is gone.

People post just like you did in the jailbreak forum about a sob story about this. There is nothing you can do. Try to return it to it's original owner.

zfarooq

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2017
It's a simple solution that requires the original owner to participate.

Tell the previous owner to make sure he unpairs it using the Watch App, on this phone. Make sure it deleted. But this does not remove the activation lock.

AFTER this:

1. On a computer, go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.
  2. Go to Find My iPhone.
  3. Select All Devices, then click your Apple Watch.
  4. Click Erase Apple Watch. Select Next until the device is erased.
  5. Click
    find-my-device-remove-icon.png
    next to your Apple Watch.

Mohamed_Magdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
I called apple to see if they can contact the original owner and ask him to unlink the watch if he really forgot or to tell him that they found the watch if he lost it and i told them that i can send it back to him however they mentioned that for the privacy of the customer they can not reach out to him
Finally i had the chance to see the original owner and took my money back and returned the watch
However i found someone who told me that he can unlock it for me as he used to unlock any iphone or ipad and when i asked him how he told me that he is in contact with an indian hacker he just send him the SN or IMEI and send him 150$ and he hacks the server of apple and unlock any device but he can keep tracking you and have access to ur device if he wants as he has the IMEI
Thank u all for ur help i really appreciate it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.