Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I believe that is new. That 0.3m cable is ridiculous.

I used to use a 0.3m cable on my nightstand with a third-party holder and it was the perfect length for my situation. Bought the Apple "saucer" charger and only being able to get a 1m USB-C to Lightning cable is a PITA because it's literally three times as long as I need so it hangs off the nightstand. :p

(I now use the 0.3m for traveling.)

Reactions: twanj

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I believe that is new. That 0.3m cable is ridiculous.
How so? It's perfect for my travel kit - I plug into my powerbank charging on the hotel nightstand. Extra cord would be a bother.

Yes I wish there was a 2m. But I'm happy still, for me it means one fewer power block to bring with me when I travel for work :)
Perhaps they figure there's not so much a need for 2m USBC cords as for USBA. I suppose you could add a A-to-C dongle - though not ideal it should work.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
they should've included this in the premium watches tbh (ceramic, titanium, hermes)

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Perhaps they figure there's not so much a need for 2m USBC cords as for USBA. I suppose you could add a A-to-C dongle - though not ideal it should work.

Oh, I'll make do with the shorter ones! It's just that on my desk, I need a longer cable - but that one is stationary so it's not much of a problem since I do have a million USB-A chargers. For travel, not having to carry one is huge for me, and for that use case, 30cm and 1m are more than enough.

Reactions: deeddawg

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
Each to their own. I'd rather it come with the USBA cable as I'd have to adapt a USBC one at this point in time.

what i would love is charging it on my laptop without having to use a dongle, its a first world problem so its no deal breaker for me. just wouldve been nice to have for free with the new watch

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
what i would love is charging it on my laptop without having to use a dongle, its a first world problem so its no deal breaker for me. just wouldve been nice to have for free with the new watch
That'd be a great scenario for the 30cm USBC charger.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
My assumption for the 0.3m USB-C was that it was intended for people who wanted to top-us their Watch during the day from their iPad Pro.

In the UK at least plug sockets tend to be just above the skirting board so a 0.3m lead wouldn't even reach the table top here!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea wasn’t sure if the magnet charger was maxed out already and that magnet connector was the limiting factor

Segi_de

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2018
Any chance anybody here owns the 0.3m cable? I just ordered and received mine from Amazon and I am not quite sure whether it is fake or not... the USB-C-End of the cable seems to be weirdly long (which I do not recognize on other promotional pictures)...

IMG_7075.jpg

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Yes I wish there was a 2m. But I'm happy still, for me it means one fewer power block to bring with me when I travel for work :)
If you get the official Watch dock from Apple, that has a lightning port on the end, then you only need ONE cord and wall plug.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Any chance anybody here owns the 0.3m cable? I just ordered and received mine from Amazon and I am not quite sure whether it is fake or not... the USB-C-End of the cable seems to be weirdly long (which I do not recognize on other promotional pictures)...

View attachment 877859
It looks right, and if the cable was actually sold by Amazon, and not a 3rd party vendor, it is probably real. Keep in mind that counterfeiters are very good at copying products like cables, however, so the cable's appearance is really no validation.

farfromovin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Amazon has 1m Apple usb-c Apple Watch charging cables now. I just got two of them delivered, in Apple packaging.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
A bag full of six foot cables? No way!
A lot of hotel rooms in the UK have very few power sockets. Often, the only way to charge your watch on a bed side unit is 3m of cable or more. I have 2m charger cables and a charge block with another 1.5 m of cable to be able to put them where I want of a night.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
The Apple Watch USB-C charging cable is available as 0.3m or 1m. Just seen this thread and ordered a 1m, so I can now travel with just USB-C charger (with changeable country plugs) and different cables for iPhone, iPad Pro and Apple Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.