Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laligo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
Hi, I recently got a new S7 (very much love it) and when setting it up I had 'Automatically Add > Recent Music' ticked, which must be the default, the problem is I have absolutely tons of music on my iPhone and I think it went through and attempted to add all of that to my watch in some way unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.

I'll explain the issue I have which might narrow it down:

- On the AW Music app I can click 'On iPhone' when connected to it and browse the full collection and then trigger my phone to play my selection via my watch or use it to play with headphones connected to my watch = great, works well.

- I looked in the Watch app on my iPhone and saw that 'Recent Music' was ticked to be automatically added so I unticked this.

- Via the Watch app on my iPhone, I've selected 5 albums as a starter to add to my watch for offline, will mainly just be uptempo workout related bits that I hoped would be available and easy to find on the watch.

- If I open the Music app the watch I can see my 5 albums appear at the bottom with thumbnails under Library and can play these offline, great, works well.

- If I click 'Library' though on the Music app on my watch, this is what confuses me, it's basically just a replica of what I have on my iPhone but missing most thumbnails, nothing can play. My guess is all of those got added via the 'Automatically Add' routine but didnt sync properly because they're just too big / there's too much to do. Am I wrong or should it be a replica of my iPhone library?

If I was to guess a better UI I would have 5 or so recent additions as the thumbnails (similar to what I see) and then Library would show all offline downloaded music on the watch. If that's the case of what it is, how do I go about removing the hundreds of dead items I currently have in there without resorting to a full watch reset :oops: :) I've tried leaving it on the charger and near my iPhone in the hope it would sort itself out but all it's been able to do is add a few more thumbnails, might have to leave it for days at this rate..

In general I find the Apple Music app to be one of the worst from Apple, I wish they would make it easier to manage a collection of music and not so buggy with thumbnails and syncing and more importantly I wish they had a separate app for their Apple Music streaming service. Currently I'm not a subscriber to the streaming version as I hate the all or nothing integration of it with my local files.

laligo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
Actually think I might have more of an understanding myself, a reboot of the watch seemed to restart the thumbnails populating, about a 3rd down in the watch Library now. I've also spotted the 'Downloaded' part of the Library which is what I was assuming Library was. I guess the reason for the duplicate of "On iPhone" and "Library" is because I don't subscribe to Apple Music and so they're the same and actually this is what it should be.

One confusing bit though is that none of the songs / albums in the library will play even when connected to my phone, they'll just skip over apart from the 5 I've downloaded. Seems pointless but I bet more syncing / restarting needed to iron out the bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.