Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I have an Apple Watch 1 which isn't waking up my new iMac. I've restarted both with the iMac giving a message that I needed to log in with my passcode after a restart in order for the watch to work, but it still isn't detecting the watch to wake up.

I've also enabled Two-factor authentication on everything as required for this to work.

Thoughts appreciated.

Bill

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I have an Apple Watch 1 which isn't waking up my new iMac. I've restarted both with the iMac giving a message that I needed to log in with my passcode after a restart in order for the watch to work, but it still isn't detecting the watch to wake up.

I've also enabled Two-factor authentication on everything as required for this to work.

Thoughts appreciated.

Bill
Did you try restarting your Apple Watch?

Also, go to Settings>Security and select "Unlock Mac with Apple Watch"

You've probably done the above but just wanted to give the basics and maybe someone else can fill in from here.

Reactions: Bill P.

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Hi btrach144 and thanks for checking in. Yes, did both of those things....

Bill

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
You need to make sure you have two-factor authentication turned on the account. Double check and let us know if that doesn't help.

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
You need to make sure you have two-factor authentication turned on the account. Double check and let us know if that doesn't help.

Yep, all devices now using two-factor authentication.

Thanks,

Bill

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
In my experience, Apple Watch wakeup/unlock of macs has been spotty at best. Granted I have a first gen watch but it only works about 50% of the time, and sometimes it will just stop altogether until I restart the watch, computer, or both. Not worth the hassle.

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
In my experience, Apple Watch wakeup/unlock of macs has been spotty at best. Granted I have a first gen watch but it only works about 50% of the time, and sometimes it will just stop altogether until I restart the watch, computer, or both. Not worth the hassle.

Hi Benz and thanks for the input.

I haven't had the iMac wake up via my watch yet. However, the watch itself has been rock solid, never stopping. I love it and use its features constantly.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hi Benz and thanks for the input.

I haven't had the iMac wake up via my watch yet. However, the watch itself has been rock solid, never stopping. I love it and use its features constantly.

Give AppleCare a call.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
My first gen watch has been waking up an iMac27 and MBPr2013 and now a newer MBPr2016 dozens of times per day.

The watch does need to be placed on the wrist and the pin code entered to enable the password bypass, so that sounds correct.

Hmmm, you stated, "wake up". I still have to touch the pad or normally I tap the space bar to wake up my computer.

I work on several at the same time, for example. iMac is just to the left of me working, while I'm typing this message on my MBPr15. My watch woke up the MBPr, and now that my iMac has gone to sleep, I tap the touch pad and my watch wakes it up as well.

So the iWatch actually does not wake up my computer, it only auto unlocks it.

Bluetooth and WiFi turned on your mac? Internet Sharing is turned off?

iMac running High Sierra, MBPr running Sierra, Watch running WatchOS4.

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Hi 960design and thanks for the input.

I have wifi and bluetooth turned on, but I see that my watch isn't listed in the bluetooth prefs as my trackpad, keyboard, etc. are. Internet sharing is turned off--is that a problem??

I do hit the spacebar to wake up the iMac as I did this morning, but the watch still fails to unlock it.

Thanks again,

Bill

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi 960design and thanks for the input.

I have wifi and bluetooth turned on, but I see that my watch isn't listed in the bluetooth prefs as my trackpad, keyboard, etc. are. Internet sharing is turned off--is that a problem??

I do hit the spacebar to wake up the iMac as I did this morning, but the watch still fails to unlock it.

Thanks again,

Bill
iWatch does not show up in the Bluetooth preferences. The only things in there are two sets of bluetooth headphones; and keyboard and trackpad on the iMac.

Using your iPhone Tap Watch > General > AppleID to make sure you are signed in on the watch (yep, the watch ).

Robbo1

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
FWIW, I set up my Watch to unlock my new iMac the other day and it has been working flawlessly.

AppleCorn

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2015
Hi Bill,
I have exactly the same troubles. And exactly the same devices.
I've called Apple and they've tried a lot to try to get it going right. The next day they called and tried again. One thing that did occur, during several attempts, was that when they asked me to tap 'sleep' and then put my watch by the iMac and that did wake the screen, but you had to enter your password. So they felt like the Watch Bluetooth contacted the iMac Bluetooth. So, I had to send them two big files from my iMac for them to investigate the trouble. That was on June 20th and 21st. Hope they can find the trouble!!

Thanks

P.S. I can't get the Wakes to appear anymore like it did when working with Apple watching me.
Hmmmm!

Last edited:

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for all of the input.

960design, I checked and have Apple ID signed in on the iWatch app.

Robbo1, good to get the affermation!

AppleCorn, do let us know if you find the problem!!

I know the iMac senses my watch because when I went through what needed to be done to get everything supposedly working together my iMac now gives me a message on the sign in screen something to the effect that I needed to enter my password after restarting rather than using the watch.

Best,

Bill

AppleCorn

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, I get that too when I do a 'restart'. But, if you go to Security & Privacy/General on your iMac and turn off the 'Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac' and then run a 'restart' it doesn't tell you about the Watch.
So, I'm not sure that the Watch Bluetooth is used there.
They gave me a Case number regarding our issue. If I don't get a call in a couple days I'll give them a call and hope they figured it out!
There has to be more than just the two of us. If I see anything I'll send it to Bill!

Thanks,
Ken

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I would occasionally have this problem with my Late 2013 iMac. Turning Bluetooth off on the Mac and then reenabling it would cure it for me. It's a bit of a pain because once you disable BT you, of course, lose the Magic Mouse so make sure to have a USB mouse handy.

I haven't had this problem yet with the 2017 iMac. It unlocks dependably.

You can also try unpairing and repairing the Apple Watch from the Watch app.

AppleCorn

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2015
great news Bill!!!! The call i made today AppleCare fixed it!!!
This is the order it took place!

1. Go to System Preference/Security&Privacy/General
2. Unlock to edit it.
3. unmark "Disable automatic login" (in the other instructions it showed it leave it But Don't)
4. Mark the "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac"
5. ReLock the System Preference/Security&Privacy/General

6. Go to Users & Groups and unlock to edit.
7. Tap "login Options"
8. Then select the "Automatic login" to your name.
9. ReLock the Users & Groups.

Enter the "sleep" by the logoff

Wave your Watch near the the screen.!!!!!

I sure hope it works for you to!!!!!!

Thanks,
Ken

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
What a guy! It worked, Ken. The change I needed to make was the uncheck "Disable Automatic Login". Seems obvious now doesn't it.

Many thanks for sharing and taking the time with Apple support. I very much appreciate it, Ken.

Enjoy your evening and have a great 4th!!

Best regards,

Bill

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Solved! I was still having a few wakeup issues. As it turns out, this new iMac was sitting near my old one, also connected to wifi, etc. Once I boxed up the old one and put it in the other room, the watch and Mac started getting along famously!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.