Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I don't think the Apple Watch is a terrible product, like many haters on here seem to. But I feel very similarly to when the iPad was announced. Shiny, new product. not quite what I was expecting, little bit let down, but little bit excited, not really sure how much I would use it in my day-to-day, seems like a luxury item just for the purpose of having more tech... One of those things that is cool just to try/have, but can't really rationalize the usefulness of buying one.

Needless to say, I waited on jumped on the iPad 2. That allowed a) thinner, more powerful product b) more easiliy identifiable use-cases c) the app ecosystem to build out d) the OS to be more refined.

I really can't imagine myself buying the Apple Watch right now. I don't really see the use-case being that great, especially for the price. It's kind of the answer to a question I didn't ask. Now when the product becomes, lighter, thinner, more powerful, better batter life, truley wireless charging, waterproof for swimming, more refined OS, built out 3rd party app ecosystem, :apple:pay available at majority of places I shop, built in GPS (so I don't need my iPhone for runs), more friends have it so I can actually use those communicator features (although honestly, I don't think I'll ever use them... I hope that button funtionality will be customizable)... Then it will be a much more useful product.

So to answer your question, I'll probably be getting the 2nd or 3rd gen...

----------

Next gen. It'll be cheaper, thinner, and more focused.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the cheaper part. It is extremely rare that Apple lowers the price from 1st gen to the next. iPhone actually stayed the same price (carriers just subsidized). iPad has remained at $499 since 2010. iPad mini actually increased from $329 to $399. I'm not sure about the iPod (wasn't tracking Apple back then). The MBP and MBA have decreased in price a bit recently, but their prices (and all Mac prices) have been pretty stable for the past 10+ years.

Better, yes. Cheaper? .... doubtful. Apple may rearrange pricing structure a bit, because there are so many lines/prodcuts... but usually Apple is pretty good about picking the right number for them and sticking to it.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
I don't think the Apple Watch is a terrible product, like many haters on here seem to. But I feel very similarly to when the iPad was announced. Shiny, new product. not quite what I was expecting, little bit let down, but little bit excited, not really sure how much I would use it in my day-to-day, seems like a luxury item just for the purpose of having more tech... One of those things that is cool just to try/have, but can't really rationalize the usefulness of buying one.

Needless to say, I waited on jumped on the iPad 2. That allowed a) thinner, more powerful product b) more easiliy identifiable use-cases c) the app ecosystem to build out d) the OS to be more refined.

I really can't imagine myself buying the Apple Watch right now. I don't really see the use-case being that great, especially for the price. It's kind of the answer to a question I didn't ask. Now when the product becomes, lighter, thinner, more powerful, better batter life, truley wireless charging, waterproof for swimming, more refined OS, built out 3rd party app ecosystem, :apple:pay available at majority of places I shop, built in GPS (so I don't need my iPhone for runs), more friends have it so I can actually use those communicator features (although honestly, I don't think I'll ever use them... I hope that button funtionality will be customizable)... Then it will be a much more useful product.

So to answer your question, I'll probably be getting the 2nd or 3rd gen...

----------

I wouldn't hold your breath on the cheaper part. It is extremely rare that Apple lowers the price from 1st gen to the next. iPhone actually stayed the same price (carriers just subsidized). iPad has remained at $499 since 2010. iPad mini actually increased from $329 to $399. I'm not sure about the iPod (wasn't tracking Apple back then). The MBP and MBA have decreased in price a bit recently, but their prices (and all Mac prices) have been pretty stable for the past 10+ years.

Better, yes. Cheaper? .... doubtful. Apple may rearrange pricing structure a bit, because there are so many lines/prodcuts... but usually Apple is pretty good about picking the right number for them and sticking to it.

Definitely agree. One of the best posts I've read about Apple Watch yet. Never buy anything Apple first gen. All of my non-fanboy friends who got iPhone original 7 years ago regretted it and still use Samsung. My first phone was a 3G and it was so much better. Same with the iPad even with rMBP.

But I couldn't put more emphasis on this; "This thing HAS to be more about sensors and improving life quality via monitoring and understanding you and LESS about notifications. I get enough notifications to distract me at social settings as it is anyway. I'm sick of them. I don't NEED to get them to the fraction of a second, especially if my phone is going to be with me anyway."

p.s. I don't wear watches and was very curios to see what Apple has to make me start wearing them but they just couldn't do it for me. Maybe it comes out with incredible changes to yesterday's demo or maybe it'll appeal to me on 2nd gen. Till then, iPhone and Macbook Pro does the job of keeping me up with my notifications.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Gonna wait until it gets more health sensors, like blood O2 and BP and then buy it. As it is now, it doesn't do much for me with a simple heart rate sensor. I wonder if you enable that sensor all day long would the battery be over in a matter of hours? Can you even track your heart rate all day long?

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014

+1 on pretty much everything. Like with the iPad, Apple have solved a problem here; I just don't know which one yet, and I'll let the early adopters find out first.

Also, if I am to wear a sports watch (which this would most likely be to me), it needs to be water protected to at least 20 atm. I need to know it will at least survive swimming, and preferably some light underwater activity. A nice bonus would be a titanium case; don't know how likely that is to happen, though.

askep3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
California, US
I know people usually say to wait for the next version and not get the first version of something, but I don't think the apple watch is like that, like when the ipad came out, it barely had features, but with the watch it already seems feature packed, and it's a whole new thing, so there's no porting of apps required like in the ipad, it has security measures and most importantly, isn't focused on fitbess

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
wait and see how useful it will be. i am still not ready for an ipad.

my combo is a white iphone 5c with a 27" imac and i am happy. *shrugs*

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm still waiting on the iPhone 9 and OS X 13 before I commit. I say why enjoy life now when you can wait for the next improvement.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Now :apple: Watch 1, :apple: Watch 2 (with different shape), :apple: Watch 3 (with whatever) ... and so on :apple:s.

I will be collecting all of them (one of most favorite mix and match in each generation). Will wear one or two at the same time, at some point because I am a true-blooded hip fashionista. lol

They nailed it the first time so they will only get better and will be more gorgeous next / each time.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Wearables are a much different animal than devices that you put in your pocket, because suddenly everyone thinks their style is best. I don't see Jony Ive catering to a different demographic with his next watch design, so, I'd imagine if, you don't like the design of the first Apple Watch, you probably won't like the designs of the watches to follow. It's not as if Mr. Ive will decide that he should go the direction of a Hamilton Khaki with the next model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.