Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclife80

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2019
Since 2 weeks all of a sudden I am starting having trouble on Apple Watch which was never an issue before. Been doing this for years without any issues.
I have music directly on my Apple Watch which plays fine to the AirPods for example. I have no Apple Music subscription. On my iPhone I have downloaded some music from my Mac iTunes Library which plays completely fine on the iPhone. BUT
when I want to listen on my Apple Watch the music that I have on my iPhone to the AirPods the play button is just greyed out and I cannot start playing it!!!
Is this a known issue? I already signed out of iTunes and iCloud on both devices. I unpaired my Apple Watch form the iPhone. And I removed completely all music on iPhone and Apple Watch and redownloaded it but it still doesn't work.

techlec

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2024
i have the same only playing tracks on watch.
its like it doesn't talk to the phone for any audio apps
have unpaired numerous times

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I have the opposite issue. I connect my AirPods Pro to my Watch but it is as if the Watch is a remote control for my iPhone. It will play the music from the iPhone (which I don't want because I don't carry my iPhone when running/bike riding. My only way to avoid this is to connect the AirPods AFTER I am out of Bluetooth range of my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.