Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffeemom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2022
I have a son with special needs. He had been wearing my old apple watch so I got a new one for him today. The ability to track him should he get out of the house, etc is why. Anyway, I paired it with my phone for a family member but had to set up an email and all for it. The watch is an SE with cellular data. Can I pair it on my phone with my Apple ID and he still be able to wear it and get the calls? He does not need a phone so that’s the reason I went with cellular data on the watch. Thanks for all your help. I’m sure you can tell I’m new here. Just trying to keep my kiddo safe. Thanks so much.

Reactions: Jgiles430

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
Yes, you can pair it with your phone, but it'll use the Apple ID you set up for your son, assuming he's part of your family group (something you can do during the setup process).

When you set up cellular on the watch for a family member, you'll be getting another line with your carrier so the watch will have its own phone number for calls and messaging. Things like FaceTime and Walkie Talkie should also work on it for communication. During the setup process you can also set up Emergency SOS, Emergency Contacts, and Medical ID, which would probably be particularly helpful to your peace of mind for your use case.

Here's what Apple has on the cellular part:
Family Setup allows you to use your iPhone to set up an Apple Watch for kids or older adults in your household. The watch can then be used with its own phone number and account. The provider’s cellular service lets you connect your family member’s watch to the cellular network with its own mobile service plan, so the family member can stay connected even without your iPhone nearby. To see which carriers support Family Setup for GPS + Cellular models of Apple Watch Series 4 or later, refer to the chart below.

All done through your phone, using your son's new Apple ID tied to your Apple ID as a family member.

Reactions: coffeemom

coffeemom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2022
Yes, you can pair it with your phone, but it'll use the Apple ID you set up for your son, assuming he's part of your family group (something you can do during the setup process).

When you set up cellular on the watch for a family member, you'll be getting another line with your carrier so the watch will have its own phone number for calls and messaging. Things like FaceTime and Walkie Talkie should also work on it for communication. During the setup process you can also set up Emergency SOS, Emergency Contacts, and Medical ID, which would probably be particularly helpful to your peace of mind for your use case.

Here's what Apple has on the cellular part:

All done through your phone, using your son's new Apple ID tied to your Apple ID as a family member.
Thank you for such a detailed answer. This helps so much!

Reactions: Tdude96
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.