Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I have an S4 Apple Watch with cellular and I’ve noticed over the past week or two (not longer) that my battery is significantly drained when I use cellular mode for 35 minutes. Normally i would have 40% at the end of a day and about 30-35% on days i used cellular.

Lately, I’ve been running in the morning for about 30 minutes without my phone and I notice on those days that I have maybe 5-10% left at the end of the day. Today it died before.

i bought the watch when it released in September 2018. Or October and I get batteries don’t last forever. Just odd that this has sprung up so quickly.

My question is - is this a scenario where the battery has just gotten old now and it’s degraded? Or is this possibly a software issue others are also facing after an update or something?

Thanks!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Your problems could be...
1) Software related (OS) or app
2) worn battery
3) weak WiFi and or cellular connection
4) Combination of all three

Try repairing the phone. Battery wont be great the first 2 days but, after that, you should see consistent battery. If you find you are still running out prematurely, change the watch face to a minimalist view with only stock apps. Also check that the watch is correctly finding and connecting to WiFi and cellular. If the watch is having trouble connecting and staying connected to cellular, along with being on calls, that would definitely use more battery than normal.

If you find you are still experiencing low battery, it could be caused by WatchOS 6.2.8 as several people on the forum have expressed a decrease in battery life.

Finally, you could have an worn battery, depending on cycles and history of environmental use of the watch (weather temps etc.) Apple can run a quick remote test on the battery to see if it is good or bad.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Your problems could be...
1) Software related (OS) or app
2) worn battery
3) weak WiFi and or cellular connection
4) Combination of all three

Try repairing the phone. Battery wont be great the first 2 days but, after that, you should see consistent battery. If you find you are still running out prematurely, change the watch face to a minimalist view with only stock apps. Also check that the watch is correctly finding and connecting to WiFi and cellular. If the watch is having trouble connecting and staying connected to cellular, along with being on calls, that would definitely use more battery than normal.

If you find you are still experiencing low battery, it could be caused by WatchOS 6.2.8 as several people on the forum have expressed a decrease in battery life.

Finally, you could have an worn battery, depending on cycles and history of environmental use of the watch (weather temps etc.) Apple can run a quick remote test on the battery to see if it is good or bad.

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. I think you're right, it may be a combination of all three because the watch is almost two years old now and it may be a product of the software update which did happen recently. and this is an issue which crept up recently. I may try some other running routes and sees if the signal gets a little better there.

Thanks!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
I have similar issues. Talked with Apple Care once; their diagnostics said all were good but this is not so. Battery lasts only 4-5 hours when I use the Watch without the iPhone. Will contact them again.
WatchOS 6 was the point when my battery life suddenly degraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.