Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What case material should Apple use for the Apple Watch Series 10/X?

• Total voters

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
For the major redesign of the Apple Watch Series 10/X, should Apple swap its shiny stainless steel chassis for brushed titanium to align with Pro iPhones? Since titanium is traditionally used in watchmaking, it would still preserve the watch's horological heritage while updating its style.

Hermès would probably be on board with it - their non-leather band watch, H08, has a titanium case as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaladinGuy

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I always liked the understated look of the Titanium Apple Watch. I would opt for the “natural“ color.

The shiny bling of the Stainless Steel is great and has a “jewelery look“ to me, but I don't know if I'd like it for every day wearing. Therefore, I was a bit bummed when they discontinued the titanium option in favor of the Ultra, because that one is just too big and bulky for me. We'll see!

Reactions: Tagbert

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
For the major redesign of the Apple Watch Series 10/X, should Apple swap its shiny stainless steel chassis for brushed titanium to align with Pro iPhones? Since titanium is traditionally used in watchmaking, it would still preserve the watch's horological heritage while updating its style.

Hermès would probably be on board with it - their non-leather band watch, H08, has a titanium case as well.
Apple discontinued the "Edition" AW after the S7, with the introduction of the Ultra. My S7 Ti 45mm was $849, so more expensive than an Ultra ...
I don't see them bringing Ti back to AW any time soon, ceramic maybe. Even less that they would "swap" Ti for SS.

Reactions: SkippyThorson

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
Space Black Stainless steel would be sooooo good, it's the best Apple Watch colorway they've ever made. White Ceramic would be a smash hit. They should bring back those two for the 10th anniversary watch. Or, if you want to go really crazy, I think they should do carbon fiber.

But, aluminum is so much lighter than the other materials. They probably will just keep that.

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
Apple discontinued the "Edition" AW after the S7, with the introduction of the Ultra. My S7 Ti 45mm was $849, so more expensive than an Ultra ...
I don't see them bringing Ti back to AW any time soon, ceramic maybe. Even less that they would "swap" Ti for SS.
I believe Apple's strategy of marketing titanium as a premium material went away with the introduction of the Ultra at a price that undercut the titanium Edition models. Also, they swapped stainless steel for titanium on the iPhone without raising prices, so there's a precedent for the change. Like the 15 Pro, they might even make the titanium case one of the main selling points of the Series 10.

Reactions: dasjati

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
But, aluminum is so much lighter than the other materials. They probably will just keep that.
Oh, they'll definitely be keeping aluminum for sure. The question is whether Apple will offer the Series 10 in aluminum and stainless steel or aluminum and titanium (like the iPhones). Given that the Apple Watch is an accessory to the iPhone, it would make sense for them to be offered in the same materials.

Reactions: gio77 and dasjati

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I believe Apple's strategy of marketing titanium as a premium material went away with the introduction of the Ultra at a price that undercut the titanium Edition models. Also, they swapped stainless steel for titanium on the iPhone without raising prices, so there's a precedent for the change. Like the 15 Pro, they might even make the titanium case one of the main selling points of the Series 10.
I guess we'll be smarter in ~ 8-9 months ;)

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Given that the Apple Watch is an accessory to the iPhone, it would make sense for them to be offered in the same materials.
That would be so cool. I'm ready to buy an additional Apple Watch this year and if they offered Titanium at the Stainless Steel price points, it would be a major reason for me to spend some extra money. Even more so than any new design.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the "anniversary model" with the new design etc. will be another attempt at establishing a $1000+ model … And its design would then gradually wander down the price points over the next few years. Like they did with the "all screen" design and the "dynamic island" of the iPhones.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Stainless steel has been the iconic look/material for the Watch from day one. I can‘t imagine there will ever be a new Watch gen without steel models.

And, as had been said before, Titanium was very purposefully eliminated from the Series Watch line and is defined as the “Ultra material“ now. It would just muddle the clear aesthetic differences - and hence the choice - between regular Series and Ultra if they brought it back for S10/X.

Furthermore, there has never been a new Watch material introduced concurrent to a re-design. Which makes a ton of sense as the re-design itself will sell enough Watches. A new material, introduced a year or two later, might then trigger new demand when the new design isn‘t so new anymore.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Yeah, I don’t really see Apple bringing titanium back to the non-Ultra lineup.

Which might be why I went a little nuts and after getting the Ultra 2 and found a S7 Edition Titanium watch that happened to have AppleCare+ until July of 2025. So with three titanium Apple devices with AC+ through 2025, I’m all set.

Only way I think I buy an S10 or whatever the watch is called in 2024, is if they bring back Ceramic. I think that has a better chance and a non-Ultra titanium watch in the future.

1706407628204.jpeg

1706407606413.jpeg

1706407674488.jpeg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I will probably buy the aluminium version regardless as they have always served me well. I don't really think an Apple Watch is worth more than about £400, so the more expensive case materials just inflate the cost unnecessarily in my opinion.

Reactions: gio77

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego

Which might be why I went a little nuts and after getting the Ultra 2 and found a S7 Edition Titanium watch that happened to have AppleCare+ until July of 2025. So with three titanium Apple devices with AC+ through 2025, I’m all set.

Only way I think I buy an S10 or whatever the watch is called in 2024, is if they bring back Ceramic. I think that has a better chance and a non-Ultra titanium watch in the future.

View attachment 2341972
View attachment 2341971
Dude.

this looks FIRE 🔥. 😍😍😍😍

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Dude.

this looks FIRE 🔥. 😍😍😍😍
Thanks so much!

Really glad you think so, cause I completely agree.

So simple and understated, but a perfect match with the phone. I don't see myself getting bored with it any time soon. Despite how good the Ultra 2 w/ Clay BSL or Olive AL look, I keep coming back to this and loving it.

Reactions: Brooke795

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
Thanks so much!

Really glad you think so, cause I completely agree.

So simple and understated, but a perfect match with the phone. I don't see myself getting bored with it any time soon. Despite how good the Ultra 2 w/ Clay BSL or Olive AL look, I keep coming back to this and loving it.
That should be used in marketing. Beautiful combo! Enjoy it!

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017

View attachment 2341972
View attachment 2341971
View attachment 2341973

Goodness gracious. The S7 NaTi looks so fresh and clean alongside the 15 PM. It was a good purchase I would say. You’ve attained the aesthetic nirvana.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014

View attachment 2341972
View attachment 2341971
View attachment 2341973

Freaking awesome! I always regretted not getting one of the edition titanium models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.