Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Two days ago, my Apple Watch was suddenly dead. I had just gone in a pool, but nothing unusual happened, and it's been submersed before with no issues. So, my first thought was that I had not placed it correctly on the charger the night before and it was not charged.

When I got back, I placed it on the charger, and I got the very low battery/power symbol. It charged up overnight, and I put it on yesterday, thinking it was alright.

Except when I got home from work, my watch was dead again. This time when I put it on the charger, it seemed to stall. After a couple hours of charging, I tried to force restart it. I got the Apple logo, and then nothing else. It would connect periodically with my iPhone, so I could see it had anywhere from 60% to 80% power, but I could not bring up anything in the watch face. After several force restarts, I finally got the Apple logo back up, and even a watch face, but then, it would black again, even after it was 100% charged. So, I just left it on the charger all night.

This morning, the watch is responsive, but unstable. It seems to revert back to the mail icon and show me my email mailboxes, even though I haven't pressed the icon. It won't stay on another screen or function for more than a few seconds. When I manage to quickly swipe up, it shows that I'm already down to 65% power after only a 1.5 hours of use.

Any idea what's going on? Battery issue? Something else? I literally had no problems with the watch until two days ago. Anything else I can do other than force restart, which doesn't seem to be doing much. Is it history? I don't have AppleCare on this watch. It's just approaching the 2 years mark.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Well... out of the blue, the watch displayed the Apple logo, reset by itself, and now it's back. Sigh. Technology. Got to love it.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Spoke to Apple Support. They suggested powering down and unpairing the watch and phone and then re-pair the two. However, I cannot pair the watch. I've gone to iCloud to delete the Apple profile for the watch. They're obviously communicating because I'm getting the authentication screens, but once it gets to the pairing step, it fails out. I've tried powering off, force restart, etc. 15 attempts later, still can't pair.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I don't have AppleCare on this watch. It's just approaching the 2 years mark.
Not sure about credit cards in Canada, but in the US, many credit cards have extended warranties for purchases. For instance, one of my cards adds two years on top of the standard warranty, so my AW is covered for 3 years.

Perhaps your AW is covered with a similar plan.

As for your battery issues, when I get battery drain weirdness, I check to see the Usage vs. Standby times in the Watch app on the iPhone. If they are too close, it means an app is hung up and a restart cures it. But your situation is different, although a look at the usage stats might provide some insight.

Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.