Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began selling certified refurbished Apple Watch Series 9 models in the U.S. for the first time since the device was released in September.

Apple-Watch-Series-9.jpg

The refurbished Series 9 models are discounted by approximately 15% compared to the equivalent brand new models, with pricing starting at $339, down from $399. A variety of configurations are available as of writing.

Apple says it puts all of its refurbished products through a thorough cleaning process and inspection, and performs full functionality testing. In general, refurbished products sold directly by Apple have a very good reputation.

Like new Series 9 models sold directly by Apple in the U.S. currently, we expect that the Blood Oxygen app is deactivated on the refurbished models, due to a legal battle with medical technology company Masimo. Last year, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) banned Apple from importing and selling Apple Watch models with blood oxygen sensing after it ruled that the feature infringed on Masimo's patents. Apple is appealing the decision, and could re-enable the Blood Oxygen app with a watchOS update if it is overturned.

As a reminder, Apple began selling refurbished Apple Watch Ultra 2 models in the U.S. and select other countries last week.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 9 Now Available on Apple's Refurbished Store in U.S.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good to know. But new ones could be had at a discount from certain retailers.

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
$339 is a decent price but for a refurbished model it’s not that great considering that Amazon regularly prices it below $339 (sold and shipped by Amazon) in brand new condition

The lowest that I have seen the Series 9 was from Best Buy (on March 31) for $269 in brand new condition:

They had that sale going for about 12 hours or so and one could have easily snagged that deal if had not already been purchased - I bought mine back in the fall so I didn’t take advantage of that sale price otherwise I definitely would have

Just for the fun of it, I priced out what the net cost would be for me to trade in my Series 8 (to Best Buy) and it calculated that my net cost would have been only $50.81 to upgrade from the Series 8 to the Series 9:
IMG_5926.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.