Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Watch series 9 vs iPhone 15 pro Max

• Watch S9

• 15 Pro max

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nessi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2022
I’m in big dilemma and I need your help guys. Please help me with your answers.

Where I live Apple Watch Series 9 45mm Aluminium costs 400usd/euro. But also, if I trade in my 14 pro Max to get a 15 pro max I have to pay about 350usd/eur, which is about almost same.

My question here is for which one I should go for, Apple Watch series 9 or iPhone 15 pro Max.

Thank you.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
What do you want? A watch or a phone? Having done it, the upgrade from 14PM to 15PM is negligible at best.

Reactions: Splitrail

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I hated my 14 Pro (compared to 13 pro) and love my 15 Pro Max. If you use the phone caseless, there is a significant improvement and a noticeable upgrade going 14<15.

Like everyone else says though... 2 totally different things. I have an S7 Titanium Apple Edition watch and an Ultra 2 and love both of them.

If I didn't hate the iPhone 14 pro's with such a white hot intensity, I would say keep the phone and get the watch if you never owned one.

However, looks like the 16 Pro won't be a massive departure from the 15 this year and the Watch is likely to get a bigger change being X or "10th" anniversary. So, maybe get the 15 PM now and get the next iteration watch later this year?

Reactions: Nessi

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Personally there is not much difference between the 14 Pro Max and the 15 Pro Max except for a slightly better camera and the USB-C charging port. It makes it almost equal between the two. I go with the watch as it works well with either phone.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
If I didn't hate the iPhone 14 pro's with such a white hot intensity, I would say keep the phone and get the watch if you never owned one.
I'll bite. Why do you hate the 14 pro with white hot intensity? Other than the fact that my battery health is declining a bit faster than any of my previous iPhones, I'm pretty happy with mine.
Personally there is not much difference between the 14 Pro Max and the 15 Pro Max except for a slightly better camera and the USB-C charging port. It makes it almost equal between the two. I go with the watch as it works well with either phone.
Also a modest reduction in weight, but I agree with you that these changes are refinements, not revolutionary changes. I too think the OP would be happier with the watch.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I'll bite. Why do you hate the 14 pro with white hot intensity? Other than the fact that my battery health is declining a bit faster than any of my previous iPhones, I'm pretty happy with mine.

Also a modest reduction in weight, but I agree with you that these changes are refinements, not revolutionary changes. I too think the OP would be happier with the watch.
ANY other year to year phone upgrade and I would not have hesitated to say "get the watch."

My 14 Pro had much worse battery life and efficiency than the 13 Pro, cell reception was worse for me, GPS reception was worse and often bounced all over the place while driving; just name a few. While the weight and hand feel wasn't a significant difference from the 13 Pro, it sure is from the 15's.

If you use a case, it is less noticeable I admit. But I go caseless and the difference is MASSIVE. Those sharp edged bricks can stay in the past.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
It looks like you already got a recent iPhone. If I had to choose between the two in your situation, I would pick the watch.

I upgraded from a 14 Pro Max to 15 Pro Max, didn't notice any meaningful difference, although do agree with adam1080 that the 15 Pro Max is nicer to use without a case. I didn't have any of the issues he cites about the GPS, reception, etc. You've had the 14 Pro Max for a while so probably have already made your mind up about whether it is good or not.

Reactions: adam1080
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.