Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
I have an Apple Watch Series 7 with watchOS 10.4.

A couple of weeks ago it started to shut down and restart while running. It does this at more less 2km into a run. Before the run, 75%+ battery. After the watch has restarted, it comes back with 10% battery.

Unpair and wipe did not work.

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions before I take it to Apple for an out-of-warranty battery replacement.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
That sounds awfully like a faulty battery. I encountered that behavior (shutting off while/directly after running) with an iPhone some years ago, battery was pretty worn out when this started

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
I also have an s7 purchased in Nov 2021 and it shut down while/right after running this week too. I started with 55% and my 29 min run was enough to make it go.

My battery health is at 80% however so I'm aware my battery is pretty bad. I'm waiting for it to get to 79% so it can be replaced. Mine's been at 80% health since late last year.

As others have said, it's probably helpful for you to know your battery health. On your watch, just go to settings, battery and battery health.

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Appears to be resolved now.

I returned it to Apple for a battery replacement. But it was returned; “cannot reproduce issue”. The note also explained that perhaps their updating/diagnostics had inadvertently resolved the issue - and to try setting the watch up as ‘new’ rather than restore from a backup. I did that and the watch survived the full run last night.

Battery health is 80% for anyone wondering.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Appears to be resolved now.

I returned it to Apple for a battery replacement. But it was returned; “cannot reproduce issue”. The note also explained that perhaps their updating/diagnostics had inadvertently resolved the issue - and to try setting the watch up as ‘new’ rather than restore from a backup. I did that and the watch survived the full run last night.

Battery health is 80% for anyone wondering.
Thanks for the update. It's useful to know that your battery is at 80% health. It's very annoying that apple can't "reproduce issue" when plainly your battery isn't in great shape! but once it's at 79% then you will be able to get it replaced. maybe there was a bug or something that was draining your battery that much on a run and it got resolved, so at least that's something.

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Thanks for the update. It's useful to know that your battery is at 80% health. It's very annoying that apple can't "reproduce issue" when plainly your battery isn't in great shape! but once it's at 79% then you will be able to get it replaced. maybe there was a bug or something that was draining your battery that much on a run and it got resolved, so at least that's something.

My thoughts too - given that a run is probably a perfect storm for battery usage; all sensors/GPS/cellular/bluetooth for AirPods in use simultaneously.

I probably should have tried setting it up as a new watch, prior to sending it to Apple, to know what exactly resolved it.

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Spoke too soon!

I wasn’t exactly scientific with how I tested my watch, post getting the watch back / setting it up as a new watch. I had my phone in my backpack for the first few runs, which was fine.

Running without a phone - and having the watch rely on cellular - appears to be the cause.

Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.