Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Hi all,

Can someone help please. My Apple Watch is showing me taking steps when I am sleeping when this is not the case.

Before you say it I am not sleep walking either. I thought the activity rings will reset at midnight and it shows it does. As I have been awake past midnight and let’s say if I went to sleep half hour after midnight it will show zero steps. But in the morning it says I have done 54 steps. It’s always around the 50 step range when I wake up. Can anyone help advise how to fix this or prevent this happening.

Thank you

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I don't have a solution, but I did want to chime in and say that I'm seeing it too. Last night / this morning it recorded

00:34 - 58 steps
01:31 - 11 (according to phone awake)
02:19 - 18 (deep sleep)
04:35 - 20 (deep sleep)
06:09 - 8 (deep sleep, although noted awake at 6:12)
11:08 - 2 (I woke up around then, and sat up while also triggered a "stand")

I also received a "Stand" at 3am-4am, possibly at the 1 minute it marks awake (03:25-3:26)

Night before was fine, only 8 steps recorded while I was sleeping.

In both cases sleep focus was on (starts from 23:30 till 9am)

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
I don't have a solution, but I did want to chime in and say that I'm seeing it too. Last night / this morning it recorded

00:34 - 58 steps
01:31 - 11 (according to phone awake)
02:19 - 18 (deep sleep)
04:35 - 20 (deep sleep)
06:09 - 8 (deep sleep, although noted awake at 6:12)
11:08 - 2 (I woke up around then, and sat up while also triggered a "stand")

I also received a "Stand" at 3am-4am, possibly at the 1 minute it marks awake (03:25-3:26)

Night before was fine, only 8 steps recorded while I was sleeping.

In both cases sleep focus was on (starts from 23:30 till 9am)
Thank you. I am not sure what is causing this. If this is a bug or something. It’s really annoying. I am glad I am not the only one with this issue. Some people have suggested on other places on the internet that it maybe because we move around in bed and that is causing the steps to increase.

However I think that is stupid if that is the reason. Steps should be actual steps and not if you’re just moving around in bed. I don’t know if this can be reported to Apple for them to fix this.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Thank you. I am not sure what is causing this. If this is a bug or something. It’s really annoying. I am glad I am not the only one with this issue. Some people have suggested on other places on the internet that it maybe because we move around in bed and that is causing the steps to increase.

However I think that is stupid if that is the reason. Steps should be actual steps and not if you’re just moving around in bed. I don’t know if this can be reported to Apple for them to fix this.

It doesn't really matter. There will always be some ambiguity - the Apple Watch is not watching what you're doing, it's taking inputs and then deciding whether a series of inputs is steps or not. They could make it less sensitive but then it would count fewer steps and people would complain that "I took 8 steps but it only recorded 7".

You should be using steps for trending. You'll get some false positive and false negatives but it's the trend that you should be concerned about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.