Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's the most comfortable wearable?

• Apple Watch is the most comfortable!

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • Not the Apple watch (Ok, Which?)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Where's my Apple Watch?!

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Naked

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
What is the most comfortable wearable for you? (Apple Watch, Fitbit, G-Shock)
(naked is sorta an option:confused:)

• Make and Model?
  • Size?
  • What style band?
  • Pics?
  • How do you wear it? (above or below the wrist? snug? tight? tilted to or away? etc...)
  • Why?
If it's the Apple Watch, which version you got, what band, etc...?

I'm wearing the Apple Watch SS, 42mm, white sport band (have black, want moarrrr) snugly right on the wrist.

I've worn all kinds of watches. Never worn a watch on the wrist and snugly 'cause of digging and being uncomfortable. The rounded sensor and rounded watch housing make it superrrrrrr comfortable on the wrist. No digging or edges. This may just be the most comfortable wearable I've had.....​

Last edited:

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I agree. 42 SS BSB here... Sometimes I have to look down to make sure it's still on. I wore link bands a lot years ago... and while you do get used to them they were never "comfortable" (they do look cool though!)

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I agree. 42 SS BSB here... Sometimes I have to look down to make sure it's still on. I wore link bands a lot years ago... and while you do get used to them they were never "comfortable" (they do look cool though!)

Yeah the sports band really is something else. I've worn things like G-Shocks before, but this is something else.

I would love to know what the comfort of the stainless steel link bracelet from Apple is like because I feel the same. I have never found a link bracelet I found comfortable.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I'm inclined to agree but cannot as I haven't used any other wearables. I can say that the Apple Watch is extremely comfortable with a sport band. My model is 42mm SS WSB

wvuQuentin

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Way more comfortable than the Fossil watch and the Fitbit flex that it replaced. I'm excited to try out my incoming leather band. I'm currently just wearing my SGS w/ black sport band right now.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I have the stainless steel with black classic buckle, and find it to be quite comfortable. It is not the most comfortable though, and only for one reason: the back.

I dunno what the back is (plastic? glass?) but I am used to metal watch backs. Every watch I've ever owned. I wear my watch with about 1/2 inch room to move (I don't like it too snug to where it doesn't move, and leaves indentations on the skin). With the metal backs, the watch would always slide slightly up and down my wrist (usually on purpose). With the Apple Watch, I find that the back "sticks" to my skin, so I can usually feel it tugging my skin a bit like if my arm is down to my side. Whereas any other watch would just slide down slightly.

I dunno if I described that well enough, but it's literally the only thing I dislike about my watch so far. Other than that I love it. By far my favorite watch I've owned.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
So far I'd say it's much better than the Fitbit Flex aside from the fact that it's heavier. You're comparing a full watch to a tiny fitness tracker, so that's hard to knock. Aside from that Fitbit, I don't know when the last time I had worn a watch consistently was. Probably back around 2000. Honestly with any cellphone a plain watch is almost pointless. But with this one you get access to a lot more data and tools.

I have the 42mm SS WSB, and I think it's OK so far. I'm still adjusting to something being there. It's comfortable but damn it needs to breathe some. I can't decide between the third or fourth notch. The third is a little looser for a little more air flow, but the fourth one seems to keep it right where I want it.

I may end up getting either a leather loop or Milanese loop sooner than I thought. I'm wondering if those are more comfortable over the long haul. I definitely still need a sports band for when I do more active stuff. First day I had my watch I was mowing the yard, and that involved dodging tree limbs.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
So far I'd say it's much better than the Fitbit Flex aside from the fact that it's heavier. You're comparing a full watch to a tiny fitness tracker, so that's hard to knock. Aside from that Fitbit, I don't know when the last time I had worn a watch consistently was. Probably back around 2000. Honestly with any cellphone a plain watch is almost pointless. But with this one you get access to a lot more data and tools.

I have the 42mm SS WSB, and I think it's OK so far. I'm still adjusting to something being there. It's comfortable but damn it needs to breathe some. I can't decide between the third or fourth notch. The third is a little looser for a little more air flow, but the fourth one seems to keep it right where I want it.

I may end up getting either a leather loop or Milanese loop sooner than I thought. I'm wondering if those are more comfortable over the long haul. I definitely still need a sports band for when I do more active stuff. First day I had my watch I was mowing the yard, and that involved dodging tree limbs.

Yeah I mean it is a comparison of a full blow watch. I know this is a weird way of looking at it, but for me a part of what makes it so comfortable is how well it fits into my lifestyle. With my g-shock- or my Fitbit, or any other watch, it had the ability to tell time or one or two more things. When I wasn't on a schedule or measuring time in some fashion, I would never wear a watch because the lack of comfort drew attention to itself as the utility wasn't as necessary. So not only is the watch very comfortable to me as a wearable device, it blends so well with every day utility that any discomfort issues haven't seemed to draw attention to themselves like with other watches.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
First watch I wear all day and don't have a pain in that bone that protrudes by my wrist.
My vivoactive is great but too big, the even bigger fenix 1 I had before that hurt after about an hour, and my rotary watch used to hurt after about half a day.
The vivosmart band I had was also comfy but not wristwatch sized.
38 SS BSB worn just past that bone with one finger width wriggle room.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Yeah I mean it is a comparison of a full blow watch. I know this is a weird way of looking at it, but for me a part of what makes it so comfortable is how well it fits into my lifestyle. With my g-shock- or my Fitbit, or any other watch, it had the ability to tell time or one or two more things. When I wasn't on a schedule or measuring time in some fashion, I would never wear a watch because the lack of comfort drew attention to itself as the utility wasn't as necessary. So not only is the watch very comfortable to me as a wearable device, it blends so well with every day utility that any discomfort issues haven't seemed to draw attention to themselves like with other watches.

I've only had it for a couple of days, but I'm already seeing some benefits. The fitness tracking is way better through the heart rate monitor and other sensors my Fitbit never had. It also syncs the data with Health where I could use the data elsewhere if I ever find an app good enough. I have a pill reminder that sings on my watch and is more noticeable than the one notification I get on my phone.

So as a $600 device, it sure as hell should do more than any Fitbit. Those fitness trackers are great at getting people into using them to get more fit. This is like super sizing it all. Since my last post, I adjusted my band back to the third notch and that might get better heart rate readings since they're not all in the 80s and 90s when just sitting. That's again why I may get a new band that's even more adjustable. The Milanese loop looks to be very specific on size, and I think the leather loop is pretty close. I'll give the sport band credit for what it is, especially if I don't develop a rash.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I've only had it for a couple of days, but I'm already seeing some benefits. The fitness tracking is way better through the heart rate monitor and other sensors my Fitbit never had. It also syncs the data with Health where I could use the data elsewhere if I ever find an app good enough. I have a pill reminder that sings on my watch and is more noticeable than the one notification I get on my phone.

So as a $600 device, it sure as hell should do more than any Fitbit. Those fitness trackers are great at getting people into using them to get more fit. This is like super sizing it all. Since my last post, I adjusted my band back to the third notch and that might get better heart rate readings since they're not all in the 80s and 90s when just sitting. That's again why I may get a new band that's even more adjustable. The Milanese loop looks to be very specific on size, and I think the leather loop is pretty close. I'll give the sport band credit for what it is, especially if I don't develop a rash.

Yeah I agree that it should certainly do more than something like a fitbit at $600. I think it does an incredible amount in spades too. Modularity, comfort, design, premium materials, a very good first gen and 1.0 OS device. Oh and did I mention comfort?:p

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I've never worn a light watch before - and I've suddenly realised how nice they are to wear.

I barely notice my Apple Watch Sport when wearing it, especially as the strap is almost a perfect fit for my wrist so it doesn't move at all yet it doesn't feel too tight.

It's a lot nice than my metal linked Casio to wear in everyday situations. There are times when I prefer a slightly heftier, more 'watch-like' watch, but the Apple Watch is the most comfortable watch I've worn by far.

IllusionEntity

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2013
Kent, UK
Yeah the sports band really is something else. I've worn things like G-Shocks before, but this is something else.

I would love to know what the comfort of the stainless steel link bracelet from Apple is like because I feel the same. I have never found a link bracelet I found comfortable.

Link bracelet is incredibly comfortable. I forget it's there sometimes. It also does not pull the hairs on my arms unlike every other link band I've ever worn!

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Link bracelet is incredibly comfortable. I forget it's there sometimes. It also does not pull the hairs on my arms unlike every other link band I've ever worn!

Yeah I am seriously eyeballing the link bracelet and am almost certain I'm going to get it. So long as the heft isn't too much, I'll be sold. All my metal link watches have had bands that were very heavy and a few distracting my so. Sometimes heft is a good thing, but it can cross the line.

Glad your really liking the link and weight. I keep hearing how comfortable it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.