Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ayman1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
Guys, I am planning to pre-order 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Black Sport Band (since it is the cheapest band on SS case) and to buy a SS third party SS band.

I have found that SS 316L bands (same material of apple SS band) will never cost ou more than 100$ but apple is selling it for 500$ :eek:

SS third party band = saving more than 300$ :cool:

here are some photos for third party bands:

20141014190718-dwiss-apple-watch-pres-extra-colours-03.jpg

20141014190643-dwiss-apple-watch-pres-07.jpg

dswiss_5.001.jpg

20141014190236-dwiss-apple-watch-pres-06.jpg

Third party bands are not looking great now but I believe awesome bands will be available very soon.

Do you think it is a good decision?

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Guys, I am planning to pre-order 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Black Sport Band (since it is the cheapest band on SS case) and to buy a SS third party SS band.

I have found that SS 316L bands (same material of apple SS band) will never cost ou more than 100$ but apple is selling it for 500$ :eek:

here are some photos for third party bands:

Third party bands are not looking great now but I believe awesome bands will be available very soon.

Do you think it is a good decision?

I am getting the same model you are in anticipation that third parties will release there own bands.

I think it is a good move. While I can understand to some degree why Apple is charging as much as they are for the SS band, I am not one willing to pay such a price.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
Buying the sport band SS seems the way to go, but I would wait to see what else comes on the market. Or let someone else buy one of these bands.

Questions to ask, are how is the fit and feel?

How does it look on your wrist? It looks like it could add some bulk to the watch.

Will the connectors scratch the watch?

Ayman1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

What do you mean, "will never cost you more than 100$"? There are many SS bands on the market that cost far more than any of the Apple offerings.

Apple's SS link bracelet appears to be fairly priced, based on what comparable quality from other companies will cost you. Based on the description and reviews so far, Apple seems to have some features that are rare or non-existant from other vendors. But you may not care about the quality; if lower cost is important to you, you may be able to find some other options to attach to your Apple Watch.

My suggestion is to try out Apple's bands in person, and then compare them to cheaper bands that you also try in person.

If it turns out that Apple has patented the connection mechanism, then third-party bands may be pretty hard to obtain.

Ayman1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
What do you mean, "will never cost you more than 100$"? There are many SS bands on the market that cost far more than any of the Apple offerings.

Apple's SS link bracelet appears to be fairly priced, based on what comparable quality from other companies will cost you. Based on the description and reviews so far, Apple seems to have some features that are rare or non-existant from other vendors. But you may not care about the quality; if lower cost is important to you, you may be able to find some other options to attach to your Apple Watch.

My suggestion is to try out Apple's bands in person, and then compare them to cheaper bands that you also try in person.

If it turns out that Apple has patented the connection mechanism, then third-party bands may be pretty hard to obtain.

The material of Apple SS bands is SS 316L

take a look at these links please:

http://www.amazon.com/SOLID-Stainless-Steel-Super-SKX007/dp/B005K6F0UO/ref=pd_sim_watch_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=06NK7Q8A8N1CKFDS5TE0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-QUALITY-HEAVY-PURE-SOLID-316L-STAINLESS-STEEL-Watch-BANDS-Bracelet-S15-22mm-/310674445744

most of SS bands are less than 100$

by the way even connection adapters are available.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

The material -- 316L stainless steel -- isn't the point. Some bands are just made way better than others, even when the material is the same.

Sure, there are many SS watch bands available. Some of them (like the ones you pointed out) are inexpensive, and I suspect most of the cheap ones aren't made as well as Apple's.

Moving higher on the quality/price scale, you can buy things like these:
http://www.authenticwatches.com/taghe60se.html
http://www.authenticwatches.com/breitling-steel-bracelets-24-20.html
... stainless steel watch bands in the $1000-$1600 range. You can find even more expensive ones easily.

My point is that Apple's watch bands are essentially mid-range offerings. Neither very cheap nor very expensive.

As for all the so-called "Apple-watch-compatible" bands being offered -- I don't trust any of them until they actually start shipping real products. They need to obtain real Apple watches and prove that their products fit and function properly. None of them are "available" yet, though some of the vendors would be happy to take your money now.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm going to pick up a SS with classic buckle and wait and see how reliable or good 3rd party bands are before I commit to a SS band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.