Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tecban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2015
Hoping someone can advise on a new problem with my Ultra 1, just newly paired to my new iPhone 15PM (both with latest os updates).

I’m trying to listen to the Podcast or Music app on the Watch itself while the watch is successfully paired to a Bluetooth headset, as I have in the past.

With these devices today, the watch forces AirPlay audio playback through my iPhone speaker - which I’d like to leave behind and don’t really ever want to do. When I select the playback options, only AirPlay devices are listed - it does not display any option to use the BT connected headset.

I’ve been through the settings I can find, turned off handoff on the phone, restarted both, with no success.

How does one disable AirPlay on the Watch or otherwise force it to use a non-AirPlay Bluetooth device?

Tecban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2015
I dunno. But yeah, I’m finding it a pain also.
Restarting both a second time with those settings seems to have fixed it for now. Hopefully it’s just a one-time thing, breaking in the new phone. From what others have had to go through, I’m glad my phone is working at all!

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
I have the same issue with AW 9 and restart has not helped for me. I have to wait until I amout of reach from my phone before I can
isten via bluetooth. This has to be a bug!

Markakett

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Restarting both a second time with those settings seems to have fixed it for now. Hopefully it’s just a one-time thing, breaking in the new phone. From what others have had to go through, I’m glad my phone is working at all!

Did you ever find a solution? I’m having the same issue. The earbuds show as connected but when I hit play on the playlist on my UW1 the sound comes from my iPhone 12. It seems turning off the iPhone is the only solution. I’ve tried turning off Bluetooth, turn off automatically Airplay to never and some other tips to no avail. Very annoying having to do this every time I head out for a run or walk.
801afd0d715112657e9df6183ef6c7c1.jpg

8f034766d429fb6702c7328d20acf99c.jpg

c16ed5ff4164653bb67f404468b7d3b0.jpg

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
What I do is I don't start the music until I ask far enough from the house that I no longer have Wifi then it works fine.

Reactions: mcvaughan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.