Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
You are the one calling others here “ sheep”, and, why don’t you mark this thread as “solved” if you don’t want others to comment? After all this is a 1M+ members Internet forum…

And to repeat myself, I and others do want notifications during workouts and we have options to deal with that.

Good bye

The notification system is so bad on the Apple Watch Ultra 2, that I have to disable it for workouts. And I am getting blamed for not RTFM, while the notification shouldn’t be needed to be disabled in the first place?

That is indeed a major Apple defender if he blames me. Literally all other sports devices handle notifications in a proper way so that I do not need to disable it.

I didn’t know there was an option as “Resolved” but I put it as Resolved now. Thanks for pointing it out. Hopefully this thread will die now finally as you guys keep creating noise in a thread where the answer to the question has already been given.

Last edited:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Nope, for me it‘s fine the way it is, it should not be disabled in the first place. Just because you prefer it off, it doesn’t mean it‘s how it should be for everyone… just sayin‘

I don't have notifications off on my other sports devices, because they have implemented it correctly. Apple simply did a piss poor job on the Apple Watch Ultra 2, which is why I disabled it. If Apple improves the notifications, I will turn it back on too.

But can we get this thread to die as I already got the answer that I was looking for?

Last edited:

Thor_9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
Apple should simply improve their notification system during workouts. It shouldn’t be needed to be disabled in the first place.
As I said, some people may need notifications when working out, you aren’t the only person Apple built a watch for. Having this as an option during setup will fix this ”issue”.

i just set mine up, as soon as I launch the fitness app, all my focus setting take place. Zero other clicks needed.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
As I said, some people may need notifications when working out, you aren’t the only person Apple built a watch for. Having this as an option during setup will fix this ”issue”.

i just set mine up, as soon as I launch the fitness app, all my focus setting take place. Zero other clicks needed.

I am not saying Apple should disable it for everybody. The right solution is that Apple improves their notification so that it doesn't cover the whole screen so that you cannot see the active workout app anymore.

But since that is out of my control, the only thing I can do is turn it off on my side and wait for Apple to fix it.

Honestly, I don't want to disable notifications as I don't do this on my other sports devices. But it is what it is, untill Apple fixes this.

Thor_9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
others do want notifications during workouts and we have options to deal with that.
Correct. I didn’t know about a workout focus. Just set it up and it works perfectly.

my other sports devices, they have implemented it correctly
There is your answer, the Apple Watch isn’t strictly for workouts. You seem to be complaining for nothing.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Correct. I didn’t know about a workout focus. Just set it up and it works perfectly.

There is your answer, the Apple Watch isn’t strictly for workouts. You seem to be complaining for nothing.

Me complaining? I was done with this thread yesterday already, but it is always you guys who keep this thread alive for no reason at all.

I got what I asked for and I have asked you guys to stop posting here, because it is literally just noise and a waste of time.

I have even marked it as "Resolved" like what one poster suggested, but you guys still keep posting.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
But it is what it is, untill Apple fixes this.
Different people have different preferences, which is why things like these can be changed in the settings. If you think Apple failed because a device with hundreds of features does not default to your personal preferences, and you also think that you don't need to ever RTFM of a device with hundreds of features, then, to me, you sound just a tad entitled.

Reactions: heretiq

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Different people have different preferences, which is why things like these can be changed in the settings. If you think Apple failed because a device with hundreds of features does not default to your personal preferences, and you also think that you don't need to ever RTFM of a device with hundreds of features, then, to me, you sound just a tad entitled.

There is actually a science behind this and it is not "personal preference". If you are doing an interval session where you have to hit certain numbers all the time, the last thing you want is not being able to see your numbers because a notification popped up. That is just simply terrible and not fit for a sports device.

But I'm not surprised MacRumors think it's fine to train without numbers, because it's MacRumors after all. Or that you are going to do races without being able to see your numbers.

RTFM? No other sports device that I own does notification that badly where I have to disable the notifications during workouts. Really, I'm not to blame for this. I shouldn't be needing to disable the notifications in the first place.

If I was asking for a solution about a Samsung watch, none of you guys would be making all these posts, while this thread was effectively closed yesterday as we found what I was looking for.

Last edited:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
This is an internet forum, it’s aaaaall about posting stuff 🫡

I noticed. I bet if I was asking for help about a Samsung watch and we found a solution yesterday which effectively closed the thread, people wouldn't be posting all these things like what they are doing now.

I'm curious to see how many pages this thread will go. It's really a big waste of time.

Last edited:

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
I noticed. I bet if I was asking for help about a Samsung watch and we found a solution yesterday which effectively closed the thread, people wouldn't be posting all these things like what they are doing now.
I guess if you would ask for help with a Samsung watch, you’d be told that this is an Apple Watch board and you‘d be probably better off asking on a Samsung forum ;-)

It‘s funny btw that you assume that the way you think notifications should work is the only correct way and therefore Apple has to „fix“ something - definitely an interesting way of seeing things

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
But I'm not surprised MacRumors think it's fine to train without numbers, because it's MacRumors after all. Or that you are going to do races without being able to see your numbers
Just curious: How many frigging notifications do you receive anyway? Because it seems like you get flooded when you talk about doing races without seeing the numbers… could it be that you maybe exaggerate a little?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
I guess if you would ask for help with a Samsung watch, you’d be told that this is an Apple Watch board and you‘d be probably better off asking on a Samsung forum ;-)

It‘s funny btw that you assume that the way you think notifications should work is the only correct way and therefore Apple has to „fix“ something - definitely an interesting way of seeing things

Ah yes, I clearly see that I am on MacRumors. Who needs to see their numbers when training or racing?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Just curious: How many frigging notifications do you receive anyway? Because it seems like you get flooded when you talk about doing races without seeing the numbers… could it be that you maybe exaggerate a little?

Unfortunately, I'm not exaggerating. Yesterday, I was pressing the crown regularly just to see my numbers, which lead me to search for a solution to disable the notifications entirely when a workout is activated.

It's really something I never have experienced before with any sports device.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
If the Apple Watch Ultra 2 is a "sports watch", why on earth do notifcations take over the screen during an excercise and you have to press the crown to get back to the workout app that is currently active?

Is there an option on the Apple Watch to disable annoying non-sports notification during workouts?
You ask "If the Apple Watch Ultra 2 is a "sports watch" as if your particular sport activity is what the AWU2 is special-purpose made for. AW Ultra is a multi-purpose smart watch, including sports and other outdoor activities. We all have to adjust to the non-specificity of such a great multi-purpose tool.

Reactions: BillGates1969

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Apple should simply improve their notification system during workouts. It shouldn’t be needed to be disabled in the first place.

Why does it need to be disabled? Don’t your notifications disappear after a few moments?

I use a focus but I still get some notifications coming in and they don’t affect my use of the watch at all, except for those few moments when I either have to 1) use a hand to dismiss the notification or 2) just wait it out for a few seconds.

But again, depending how you configure your focus you have control over that stuff.

Or am I misunderstanding?

Apple can’t get every feature perfectly tuned to every individual out of the box.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Unfortunately, I'm not exaggerating. Yesterday, I was pressing the crown regularly just to see my numbers, which lead me to search for a solution to disable the notifications entirely when a workout is activated.

It's really something I never have experienced before with any sports device.

Our use cases are probably different. Even on my phone I minimize my notifications. When I install a new app and it wants to send notifications I usually just default to “no”.

But if had tons of them coming in all the time, I get it. Again, totally customizable though.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.