Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lanomds1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi. I have an Apple Watch Ultra gen 1 and I just noticed it burned my skin. It’s quite noticeable when I took the watch off after sleeping with it. Does anyone had the same situation with this watch? I’m a bit worried that the long term usage will make it worse.

IMG_5884.jpeg

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
There have been many, many, many, many …

… many, many, many, many …

… many threads about this.

It’s not a burn except in the most casual, imprecise, informal sense of the word.

It is not the result of heat, radiation, or any other form of energy transfer from the watch.

Rather, it’s contact dermatitis.

And it’s something that could have been caused by any bracelet.

Most likely, it’s a bacterial infection. Thoroughly clean the watch per Apple’s instructions. Before putting the watch back on, apply the thinnest possible schmear of over-the-counter antibiotic ointment (such as Neosporin). Consider not wearing the watch (or wearing it on the other wrist) until the wound heals.

The next most likely source is some sort of soap or lotion or other skincare product that’s getting trapped underneath the watch that you’re mildly allergic to. You wouldn’t be allergic enough for normal usage to be a problem, but constant close contact is. The same advice as for an infection applies, but this would be more persistent unless you avoided the problem product in the future.

Last, there’s a very small but nonzero chance that you could be allergic to the material of the watch itself. Again, this is highly unlikely, but not completely unheard of.

If the wound doesn’t heal, or if it repeatedly returns despite regularly cleaning the watch, consult a dermatologist.

Cheers,

b&

savagewatts

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Hi. I have an Apple Watch Ultra gen 1 and I just noticed it burned my skin. It’s quite noticeable when I took the watch off after sleeping with it. Does anyone had the same situation with this watch? I’m a bit worried that the long term usage will make it worse.

View attachment 2291384
I had the exact same thing but it isn’t a burn. After two weeks of still wearing my Ultra and it went away.

Reactions: ukms

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
As @BenGoren said, yet another thread on this nonsense. Maybe this forum needs a sticky post about it.

It's not a burn. It's contact dermatitis. Wash the watch. Leave it off your wrist a few days if it is very irritating. Live happily ever after. Never post on Macrumors again. The end.

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
I get a similar reaction whenever my own sweat builds up under the watch. 🤢 Usually gently wiping the sensor area with a damp microfiber before each wearing helps. If it‘s still rashy I take off the watch and put on some CeraVe anti-itch lotion and let that dry before putting my watch back on. Good luck, I know how irritating it can be.

Whigu

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2022
I get same kind of red marks on my hand from my new Ultra 2 but didn't have anything with my old Apple Watch.
I wonder is my strap too tight or something?

Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have contact dermatitis from My U2 but it more about the watchband, The damage was first done by a Sipgen watchband that looked good, but had a metal buckle in a bad place for me. I now have an Apple Trail Loop. installed I have not worn a wristwatch in many years. When I did I basically rarely took it off, and I am wearing my Ultra 2 the same way. What I have noticed is the back of the Ultra 2 is surprisingly hard to keep clean. I am making it a habit to clean it each day when I charge up. The bottom line is I have been wearing it to tight. I am thinking that a fully elastic fiber watch band might be what I need. I wash the watchband as well in mild soap once a week to keep it clean. Doing this also really softens up the Alpine and Trail Loop Armbands.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I just shower with my watch on and wipe it off with my shirt every time I go to charge it. I didn't even know this issue existed until I saw this thread lol. Maybe my methods will also help you.

Reactions: rmw49

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I get a similar reaction whenever my own sweat builds up under the watch. 🤢 Usually gently wiping the sensor area with a damp microfiber before each wearing helps. If it‘s still rashy I take off the watch and put on some CeraVe anti-itch lotion and let that dry before putting my watch back on. Good luck, I know how irritating it can be.
I use Puriya Wonder Balm, it is an Indian botanical salve I have used for years.

Reactions: ukms

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I just shower with my watch on and wipe it off with my shirt every time I go to charge it. I didn't even know this issue existed until I saw this thread lol. Maybe my methods will also help you.
This is exactly why I didn't have trouble in the past when I wore wrist watches I showered with them on and the soapy water cleaned them up as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.