Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Overall I love my Apple Watch Ultra but have one minor complaint, which is to do with the digital crown. Due to its placement and size when turning it rubs against my wrist. This is not something that happened with my series 7 or other watches. Again, it's not the end of the world just wondering if it's noticed by others?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Overall I love my Apple Watch Ultra but have one minor complaint, which is to do with the digital crown. Due to its placement and size when turning it rubs against my wrist. This is not something that happened with my series 7 or other watches. Again, it's not the end of the world just wondering if it's noticed by others?

Mine doesn’t do that. I can’t feel it on my wrist. I do have the crown side facing outwards on my wrist so that may have something to do with it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
I have experienced that. As you say, not the end of the world and I'm getting used to slightly raising the edge of the watch with one finger while rotating with another.

Reactions: zecanard

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
I have experienced that. As you say, not the end of the world and I'm getting used to slightly raising the edge of the watch with one finger while rotating with another.
I've checked Twitter and there's a lot of posts about it. I think it's something that will be addressed in a refresh next year I hope as it's mostly just due to the size.

I think it also has to do with how tight you have the band on your wrist, if you have chubby wrists (which it looks like I do), etc.

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
I've checked Twitter and there's a lot of posts about it. I think it's something that will be addressed in a refresh next year I hope as it's mostly just due to the size.

I think it also has to do with how tight you have the band on your wrist, if you have chubby wrists (which it looks like I do), etc.
I do tend to wear my watch a bit tight. Turning the crown just now I had no issues. I think I will get totally used to it, just as I've gotten the hang of putting on and taking off the watch with an Alpine band, which seemed a bit awkward at first.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
I do tend to wear my watch a bit tight. Turning the crown just now I had no issues. I think I will get totally used to it, just as I've gotten the hang of putting on and taking off the watch with an Alpine band, which seemed a bit awkward at first.
Yeah, I like the watch so much in every other way that this is something that I think will be a nonissue in a few weeks or so. I was more just curious, not wanting to start a new "gate" nonsense, it's just something I would like to see have a bit of a tweak in the 2nd version.

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
Im with the crowd that I used to hit the crown on my S7 all the time. Not once with my ultra. But watch is on left wrist with crown on right. Absolutely loving this watch.
I use it to adjust the volume on my Bluetooth speaker at work; that's about it. More often I'll just swipe with my fingers to choose my workout or a credit card to use, etc.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Yes, with two caveats.

First, I keep the watch very snug at all times.

Second, when it does that, I‘ve also observed that the watch isn’t exactly where I tend to feel it’s most comfortable on my wrist. So, when it happens, I move the watch until it feels perfect, and then it basically doesn’t happen again for the rest of the day.

It’s the lesser of two very minor quibbles I have with the watch. The other is that I’d like it to not be so tall, so that it doesn’t stand quite so far off my wrist. Like … there’s that sheer vertical area just below the display? Slice that off, make that the extent of the watch; that’d be a good start.

I still expect to keep the watch for a long, long time, and to wear it every day. It would take something really super significant for me to consider any sort of “upgrade” worthwhile at this point; really feels like we’re approaching a point of diminishing returns.

b&

Reactions: Cghelton

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
Yes, with two caveats.

First, I keep the watch very snug at all times.

Second, when it does that, I‘ve also observed that the watch isn’t exactly where I tend to feel it’s most comfortable on my wrist. So, when it happens, I move the watch until it feels perfect, and then it basically doesn’t happen again for the rest of the day.

It’s the lesser of two very minor quibbles I have with the watch. The other is that I’d like it to not be so tall, so that it doesn’t stand quite so far off my wrist. Like … there’s that sheer vertical area just below the display? Slice that off, make that the extent of the watch; that’d be a good start.

I still expect to keep the watch for a long, long time, and to wear it every day. It would take something really super significant for me to consider any sort of “upgrade” worthwhile at this point; really feels like we’re approaching a point of diminishing returns.

b&
I'd say I have the same second issue--and it is probably a bit more vexing than the crown-on-skin friction. Some of my dress shirts' cuffs get caught up on the watch such that it's a bit awkward and cumbersome. But I still very much love my AWU and hope to get several years out of it. I wouldn't upgrade solely to address these very minor issues.

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
Yes sometimes it happens, because the crown is bigger and in a lower position compared to other Apple Watches.

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012

Yeah but isn’t that like going to a tire shop and being surprised that everyone there needs new tires?

WoodTableFromIkea

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022
Florida
Go exchange it if it bothers you to the point of announcing it to the "whole" world.

Sigh.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
I’ve experienced this. It seems to depend on how I’m angling my wrist when using the Digital Crown. In most cases it doesn’t happen, but when it does I just adjust my wrist slightly and it’s no longer a problem. But it is definitely a change from the more traditional design.

Reactions: valleian

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
yeah I noticed this too, not an issue on my series 7 but I feel it on the ultra
I still love having the ultra, but this is slightly annoying

Kayako

Suspended
Oct 25, 2022
Yeah, I like the watch so much in every other way that this is something that I think will be a nonissue in a few weeks or so. I was more just curious, not wanting to start a new "gate" nonsense, it's just something I would like to see have a bit of a tweak in the 2nd version.
i doubt they will change the design next year, the design will likely last at least 3 yrs as thats apples design cycle at best we may get a new color

Reactions: valleian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.