Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ampm99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
This was a natural evolution. I wondered why it took so long. Oceanic is a great company. My wife used proplus dive computer for many years
However it looks like version 1 is really only a backup dive computer.
Without wireless air integration (typically done with a dongle on the high pressure port of your regulator under water.) it's not a complete dive solution.
I have a Scubapro G2 watch dive computer that I won't replace yet because of air integration
I do carry a backup when I dive. A cheap Mares Puck that cost $173
Looks like a much better interface but I'll wait till v2 or fall release of software from Oceanic to see if air integration is there.
I'm sure they would have said something if it was just an upgrade

first version of apple products always has a gotcha for upgrades. I'll wait but this still looks like my next dive computer

gavin_

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2022
Yeah, I was psyched until I realised it won't have integrated air. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work through bluetooth, it'd need to have a separate receiver inside.

Reactions: BlueTide

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
There are lots of computers without air integration. The Apple Watch Ultra will be fine, and air integration can always come at a later date.

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
Just curious: why do you think the watch couldn’t connect to a wireless air transmitter that uses Bluetooth? I haven’t dove in a couple of decades but am going to take a refresher course soon and get my 12 year old certified so we can start diving. Was very excited to see the new Ultra has scuba capabilities. WOuld love to NOT buy a dive computer that will only be used in the water….

Reactions: Wackery and chabig

gavin_

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2022
I’m not an expert, but my understanding is that Bluetooth doesn’t transmit well enough under water. I personally wouldn’t go back to using a dive computer that doesn’t have integrated air. I’d maybe wear my Suunto for the integrated air and take the Apple Watch Ultra as a backup / way to record the dive for social media. But that’s a lot of money for a backup. I’m thinking I’ll wait and see if integrated air comes.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
Read the fine print on apple.com:

8. A subscription is required for Oceanic+. Available on the App Store. Always follow diving protocols and dive with a companion and have a secondary device.

So the dive computer stuff requires a separate app with a subscription...

And Apple suggest themselves that the AW Ultra is only a backup. Use a real dive computer.
:(

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
How do present air integration systems communicate? I assumed it was something like bluetooth.

gavin_

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2022
784B6CA5-EFA0-4079-8F53-13DCE901EFDE.jpeg
67220232-CA86-4CA2-9E4D-D39ED1ED10DD.jpeg
A wee bit of googling tells me that integrated air transmitters work in the KHz range and Bluetooth is in the GHz range. Lower wavelengths have better range and can diffract around obstacles better.

Reactions: pesc

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
Garmin probably has full patents on this, but Apple Watch might be better suited to the SubWave, Sonar style communication that Garmin has implemented for air integration. Utilize existing microphones in the watch to pick it up, communicate with other watches nearby, etc.

It makes me pause, but probably won't stop me from buying the Ultra. If integration gets picked up in a future version, this watch will still probably be worth quite a bit to sell or trade.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado

8. A subscription is required for Oceanic+. Available on the App Store. Always follow diving protocols and dive with a companion and have a secondary device.

And Apple suggest themselves that the AW Ultra is only a backup. Use a real dive computer.
I would guess that most/all electronic dive equipment is going to show the same kind of disclaimer. Always have backups for your backups.

In this case, since you're going to need to know your air anyway, a standard console with air/depth would probably be sufficient.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
It will be interesting to see how this watch plays out as a dive computer. I had pretty much decided to buy an Ultra before the dive comp capability was revealed; mainly because I'm clumsy and really hard on watches. (My current Apple Watch is less than a year old and the screen is already scratched so much that it's difficult to read in bright sunlight.)

I didn't see any mention of when Oceanic+ will be available or what the subscription price would be. I think the clip I saw said something like "late Fall".

eldy

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
The City
It will be interesting to see how this watch plays out as a dive computer. I had pretty much decided to buy an Ultra before the dive comp capability was revealed; mainly because I'm clumsy and really hard on watches. (My current Apple Watch is less than a year old and the screen is already scratched so much that it's difficult to read in bright sunlight.)

I didn't see any mention of when Oceanic+ will be available or what the subscription price would be. I think the clip I saw said something like "late Fall".
I hope that Apple doesn't lock out the hardware for other developers to make diving/freediving apps.

Reactions: pesc

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
More information about Oceanic+ (including subscription prices) can be found here:

(they show some interesting new colors on wristbands in a few images...)
The pre-dive tutorial shows how you can set the units to be used. You can decide between bar and psi. Interesting...

Last edited:

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Thanks. I was just about to post those links.

The subscription cost seems high to me. I only do three or four live aboards per year. I wonder if they'll allow subscribing for a single month at a time?

gavin_

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2022
You also get to keep the social media / dive logs and limited diving functionality parts of the app without the sub. It's not that bad a deal (this is probably me trying to convince myself I should buy it 😂). I am sure Suunto and Garmin will eventually release their own app and sub on the Ultra. Competitors might up their game and release some cool competitor devices.

rhor

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2017
More information about Oceanic+ (including subscription prices) can be found here:

(they show some interesting new colors on wristbands in a few images...)
The pre-dive tutorial shows how you can set the units to be used. You can decide between bar and psi. Interesting...
Those units are for the dive planner feature. I doubt this version of Apple Watch Ultra will have integrated air. Maybe in the future. I'm about to order one, am going on a liveaboard next week. Too bad it won't get here until after my trip. I'll probably keep using my Suunto D5 with air integration though even once the Ultra gets here. Would be interesting to figure out what happens below 40m. Does the gauge just stop there? Officially that's an unsupported use case by Oceanic+. Might have to try that lol. My D5 definitely keeps working below 40m. Been there, done that.

Doc_dee

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2021

The Garmin MK2i with air integration also has the same disclaimer regarding use of backup device at the start of the manual:

The diving features of this device are for use by certified divers only. This device should not be used as a sole dive computer. Failure to input the appropriate dive-related information into the device can lead to serious personal injury or death.

Pretty much standard warnings for what is pretty much considered life support.

I use an SPG with depth gauge as a backup for my Garmin but would consider using the Ultra as a backup as they both use the same algorithm

Only recently bought the Garmin and the cynic in me fells the recent discounted price was because Garmin had wind of the new Apple Watch Ultra.

Doc_dee

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2021
Those units are for the dive planner feature. I doubt this version of Apple Watch Ultra will have integrated air. Maybe in the future. I'm about to order one, am going on a liveaboard next week. Too bad it won't get here until after my trip. I'll probably keep using my Suunto D5 with air integration though even once the Ultra gets here. Would be interesting to figure out what happens below 40m. Does the gauge just stop there? Officially that's an unsupported use case by Oceanic+. Might have to try that lol. My D5 definitely keeps working below 40m. Been there, done that.
Just be careful about sticking to certified depth. Was recently told of a Diver with recently diagnosed PFO picked up due to post dive problems and who required use of decompression chamber. First thing the insurance asked for was her dive computer to check depth time and If any NDL breaches before accepting her claim

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018

I don't dive anymore but when I did, I had a primary regulator, a secondary regulator, a pony bottle with an additional regulator. I only had one dive computer (without air integration) because they were expensive then but I did have a separate dive watch, depth gauge and dive table. If I was still diving I would carry two computers. Maybe the Ultra would be one of them.

I need to see it in the store and read reviews but the SS Series 8 costs almost the same as the Ultra and I do like the idea of the extra battery life, larger screen and extra waterproofing.

rhor

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2017
Just be careful about sticking to certified depth. Was recently told of a Diver with recently diagnosed PFO picked up due to post dive problems and who required use of decompression chamber. First thing the insurance asked for was her dive computer to check depth time and If any NDL breaches before accepting her claim
That's exactly why I chose more expensive insurance that'll even cover certified depth and NDL breaches. When things go south, they tend to not stick to man-made rules. Dive insurance that'll only pay if certified depth and NDL were adhered to is insurance that will rarely pay for a chamber. Except for unexpected hits, DCS is always caused by NDL violations.

I'm currently certified to 40m. Went to 44m on a single dive -- this would result in void insurance even though I remained at that depth for just a few seconds. Not very practical.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
That's exactly why I chose more expensive insurance that'll even cover certified depth and NDL breaches. When things go south, they tend to not stick to man-made rules. Dive insurance that'll only pay if certified depth and NDL were adhered to is insurance that will rarely pay for a chamber. Except for unexpected hits, DCS is always caused by NDL violations.

I'm currently certified to 40m. Went to 44m on a single dive -- this would result in void insurance even though I remained at that depth for just a few seconds. Not very practical.
What is NDL (or PFO)? Insurance that does not cover you when things go wrong on a dive doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada

The 40m limit would kill it for me. I don't dive below that, but I dive regularly at 35+. Too close to risk a watch of that price.

I also notice the app does not show surface interval or time to fly. That's a big no-no.

Reactions: Geckotek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.