Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thevofl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Hi, I bought the extended band for the Ultra Ocean for my big hands, and oh my, it was not what I was expecting.

This is a video explaining the extension.

This video is more about the extension itself.

And yes I knew that I was buying a band that maxed out the 200mm range.

mark-in-mk

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Well that's going straight back when it arrives tomorrow, along with the Ocean band I bought the other day.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
This is why I got the alpine loop and not the midnight, I wear it surfing and with a 190mm plus wrist the midnight looked like it wouldn't be secure enough being shorter, have had band straps pop out.
No way the alpine will.
In winter I wear a watch under a wetsuit so wouldn't be using the extension.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
The ocean band/extended band is designed for SCUBA diving and for those wearing a wet/dry suit and so need the longer strap
This. I agree the design is bulky, but when you're underwater and won't even have anything to bump your wrist into, does it matter? The extension is more function over form, and really, I think the same is said for the Ocean band entirely. It's not meant to be daily worn, just to keep your watch on your wrist in the water.

That said, @thevofl, I think you should consider another band style. I know if you contact Apple Support, Apple actually makes both Sport Bands and Sport Loops in XL sizes you can special order. They don't offer these in all colors, though, so be warned.

Also, you mention Apple "filling the gap" due to Ultra sales not exactly going to those interested in extreme sports. I have to disagree. It's possible that the majority of people picking up the watch right now are just regular people interested in the shiny new thing, but that's not what Apple wants. Appel wants the Ultra to be seen as a rugged, explorer's watch mostly used by adventurous people, and that's why they marketed it so much into that direction. Apple's probably not going to bo so quick to accommodate users outside of that demographic because it cheapens the brand of the Ultra in their eyes.

ZenNerd

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Atlanta, GA
The Ultra is aimed at outdoorsy, adventurous types. Generally people who one would assume are fit, even more muscular than some. I would guess this category of folks would trend toward thicker wrists possibly so bands on the larger end of the spectrum wouldn't be unreasonable to expect. So I really feel like it was shortsighted of Apple to have large bands ready to go.

thevofl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
It's been a week that I've been wearing the watch with the Ocean band. Even though I'm on the last slot, I find it very secure for my day to day tasks. I have over a dozen bands, and this one is the most comfortable. I can actually sleep with it on.

Since I bought it on 9/23, I have been to the Apple Store four times for different reasons. I went to four different stores across the Bay Area. In each time, I asked if they sold a lot of Ultras and they did. I followed up with the question of who was buying them. Most indicated those that the buyers wanted the next shiny thing or some other wording. I followed up with the question about how many were involved with extreme activities, and I heard about just two buyers: a marathon runner and ski instructor. Yes this is anecdotal, but Apple must realize that their buyers are more than who they are targeting.

I also found out when I returned the extension that it shouldn't have been presented to me as a longer band of similar design for bigger hands. It should have been made clear to me that it was for wet suits and that it was significantly longer which would require doubling back.

Reactions: Whigu and cannono

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Hi, I bought the extended band for the Ultra Ocean for my big hands, and oh my, it was not what I was expecting.

This is a video explaining the extension.

This video is more about the extension itself.

And yes I knew that I was buying a band that maxed out the 200mm range.
Great video. I was planning to buy extension as I thought it wasn’t that large. I think Apple underestimated how popular Ultra will be with everyone and not just extreme athletes (which are probably not even buying Ultra but staying with Garmin).

JWGold

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
United States
The ocean band/extended band is designed for SCUBA diving and for those wearing a wet/dry suit and so need the longer strap

Well I’m a Search and Recovery Diver, and even with a 7mm wetsuit or dry suit, this extension is too long. Maybe they want me to wear it around my thigh?

Reactions: BlackBun

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Isn't the extension mainly for going over a neoprene dive suit? My dive suit is a 10mm (UK) and adds a lot of width to your wrist so I assumed that was the reason for the extension for the ocean band.

Last edited:

Justin Mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021
Isn't the extension mainly for going over a neoprene dive suit? My dive suit is a 10mm (UK) and adds a lot of width to your wrist so I assumed that was the reason for the extension for the ocean band.
Yes, I have a Henderson Thermoprene Pro 5 mm wetsuit. I have thick wrists to begin with. My ultra is on the second to last hole in the ocean band, with the wetsuit on, I cannot put the watch on. The extension allows me to wear the watch, but it’s insanely long. I can’t seem to understand who decided this length was necessary.

On a side note, while the watch is resistant to 100 meters, this is way beyond advanced open water diving limits, it’s functionality as a dive computer is nowhere where it needs to be for it to be marketed as such. There are serious problems and currently no air integration compatibility with a transmitter. Oceanic + is the most advanced dive app currently available, at an additional cost, and they along with apple currently state the Ultra is not to be considered a primary dive computer.

That being said, it’s a good back up and a very expensive primary compass.

Last edited:

prisoner6

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
I realize this is an older post, but with new releases, there is relevance.

I have worn a cut down Ocean Band Extension since I first got the Ultra. I have very large wrists. The only bands that I can normally wear are the XL Sport Band or Sport Loop.

I like the rubber bands as they handle water well. Also the Ocean Band flexibility makes it a little more comfortable than the Sport Band.

Cut down was easy enough. just cut through the solid part between the little holes.

Reactions: fishferbrains

fishferbrains

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
I realize this is an older post, but with new releases, there is relevance.

I have worn a cut down Ocean Band Extension since I first got the Ultra. I have very large wrists. The only bands that I can normally wear are the XL Sport Band or Sport Loop.

I like the rubber bands as they handle water well. Also the Ocean Band flexibility makes it a little more comfortable than the Sport Band.

Cut down was easy enough. just cut through the solid part between the little holes.
I ordered the Ocean Band Extension for precisely the same reason as well as the fact that I frequently dive in both warm and cold water. Cutting the extension to nearly 1/2 it's original length felt ridiculous.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party replacements that are similar in form/function but shorter in length?

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
It's been a while since you posted this video @thevofl but great video, thanks for putting that together. I'm with you, I get the idea as to why the extension may be useful for some, but not for most people. Apple really needs to create a band that matches the length of their M/L sport bands--up to 210mm in the Ocean.

I am curious if you've tried a sports loop in M/L with your Ultra and if so, how many holes from the end you are on it.

thevofl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
It's been a while since you posted this video @thevofl but great video, thanks for putting that together. I'm with you, I get the idea as to why the extension may be useful for some, but not for most people. Apple really needs to create a band that matches the length of their M/L sport bands--up to 210mm in the Ocean.

I am curious if you've tried a sports loop in M/L with your Ultra and if so, how many holes from the end you are on it.
I have tried them, and I am not a fan for either one. They aren't as comfortable as the ocean band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.