Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Does anyone here own the trail loop and actually love it and are not experience the issues being brought up by some folks?

I’m on the fence about picking it up.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I don’t know what issues have been brought up, but I have the trail loop and it is my favorite of the 3 ultra straps. I have all 3 of the ultra straps myself (trail loop, alpine loop, ocean) and the trail loop is definitely the most comfortable. The Velcro has never come loose, it dries out quickly, and I think it looks fine. You can also always get the perfect fit. I hope that helps.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I don’t know what issues have been brought up, but I have the trail loop and it is my favorite of the 3 ultra straps. I have all 3 of the ultra straps myself (trail loop, alpine loop, ocean) and the trail loop is definitely the most comfortable. The Velcro has never come loose, it dries out quickly, and I think it looks fine. You can also always get the perfect fit. I hope that helps.

I agree. In colder months, the trail loop does sometimes cause my wrist to itch, but it’s likely just my skin. Other than that, it’s easily the most comfortable of the Ultra bands to me. I’ve never had it comes loose. Yes, the Velcro doesn’t look as neat and tidy under the strap anymore, but it’s still working great. Velcro is velcro. I’ve never seen anything velcro not show some fraying where it attaches eventually.

Reactions: qpid360

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Thanks for the responses. I was just concerned from seeing folks post about major fraying and the stitching coming off on the tab after just weeks of normal use. I’m hoping those were just defects in workmanship rather than a widespread issue.

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
The band holds up well but after a few months the Velcro grip does diminish a little and the area gets “fuzzy”. I lint shaved it but it comes back. The grip of the latest sport loops I have seems stronger than the trail loops now.
8aab886931f8f076f202bfb52bb4fbca.jpg

BlackBun

Suspended
Oct 20, 2020
Wokingham U.K.
I use the Sports Loop on my Ultra because it’s the most comfortable so easy to adjust. Never had any Velcro or otherwise issues with them. I like their colours too. As for the three watch strap choice with the Ultra I chose the Trail Loop as it comes close to the Sports Loop with easy minor adjustments. However, it remains unopened. I do not like the little flap it has for adjustments. What’s that for seems like an amateurish last minute add on. I’d never buy an additional one at that price. I thought the Sports Loop pricey enough.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Fit and finish are excellent and the band is very comfortable but I've only had watch and band for a week or two, so I can't attest to wear. I ordered mine from the looks of things sized larger than the one in the picture above so that may have the affect of protecting the velcro a little more. (Size M/L on a 165mm wrist, so depending on the time of day the tab comes up to about 10 to 15mm short of the seam that encloses the attachment to the strap eyelet on the watch, so that 10 to 15mm is the only exposed velcro when I'm wearing it). The stitching looks a cut above your usual fabric products, but I do think it's vulnerable to abrasion -- once again, I expect the oversizing in my case will help somewhat. For someone with a larger wrist, I think the risk of abrasion damage goes up with all that extra exposed velcro and the stitching on the end of the band rubbing against, say, a desk or a keyboard rest; I think Apple ought to consider making a true size large in this band.

For a hostile environment I'd probably favor the Ocean or Alpine straps or Nomad's sport bands over the Trail, but the Trail is definitely more comfortable than any other watch strap I've ever had -- only a Milanese-style band on my Swatch comes close (and the Apple Milanese band, with its slightly looser chainmail than on the Swatch band, looks like it would also be very comfortable; the Swatch band is just a bit rigid. But I digress)

Reactions: three
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.