Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I have not been able to figure this out. Can an Apple watch unlock two MacBooks?
Example, one MacBook at home, and one at work?

Honestly, I feel like am missing something very obvious. Thanks in advance...

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
While I do unlock my 2 Macs I would guess that you have to be logged in with the same appleID, obviously I am in my situation.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
While I do unlock my 2 Macs I would guess that you have to be logged in with the same appleID, obviously I am in my situation.
Yeah the Mac gets the list of Watches from the AppleID that’s linked to your account

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Hmm, oddly, I am logged into the SAME Apple ID on both units. However, my work MacBook does not show the option "unlock with Apple Watch".

Rather weird. And, in system information, for WIFI, it does show that the MacBook/OS version does support unlock with Apple Watch. Just odd...

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
Could be that the work macbook is enrolled to some kind of MDM which prevents that functionality by some restriction profile

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Could be that the work macbook is enrolled to some kind of MDM which prevents that functionality by some restriction profile
Hmm, good point. We do have JAMF. Alas, I do not believe it is offering much, except for application installs...

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
Hmm, good point. We do have JAMF. Alas, I do not believe it is offering much, except for application installs...
Jamf does lots more than just offer apps for installation. It can restrict lots of stuff on your Mac, so I‘m pretty sure that this is the reason why you can’t unlock your Mac with the Watch.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I also wonder if FileVault prevents this feature. On my personal Macs, FileVault is not on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.