Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MooffooM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
I just picked up a used MacPro6,1 and installed Catalina... everything is great except it refuses to recognize my Apple wired keyboard. I tried the keyboard in another mac and it worked perfectly... and I tried a Dell keyboard on the MacPro and it worked too.

About the only thing I can come up with is that the Apple keyboard is USB 1.1 whereas the Dell keyboard is USB 2.0.

Is the old Apple wired keyboard with numeric pad compatible with the MacPro 6,1?

Thanks

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
I use the wired aluminium Apple keyboard with mine (A1243), without any problem.

Note that the built-in hub is USB 2.0, not 1.1 as was the case for the previous keyboard (A1048).
[automerge]1585386139[/automerge]
What does the system report say about your connected USB peripherals?

MooffooM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Thank you for replying... and that is encouraging.

My system report sees the USB 2.0 hub of the keyboard, but not the keyboard itself. I will check my keyboard model number....

What OS version are you running?

I am using Apple's Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad with my Mac Mini, and it is connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports on my external hub. The hub, via ISB 3.0, is then connected to one of the USB 3.1 ports on the Mini. The connector for the keyboard is USB 2.0, and I am running the latest version of Catalina, OS 10.15.3. Works flawlessly.

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
When we still had MP6,1s they all worked perfectly with all Apple keyboards (both wired and wireless). Never had any glitch.
So if your MP6,1 sees the hub in the wired keyboard but not the keyboard itself: I'd try a SMC reset as well as a PRAM reset (might be hard - requires a keyboard).
What might also be a good idea: throw a new copy of the OS over it, and if that still fails: boot from a virgin OS install (on e.g. a USB3.1disk)

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I have one remaining wired keyboard that works. One by one they stopped working, along with a couple of wireless. At least in my case I can say "nothing lasts forever" - they were all 10 year old at least.

So my question is: does this keyboard work in another computer?

Reactions: MooffooM

MooffooM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Kohlson nailed it. I have about 6 of these keyboards, none have ever failed me yet... until this one. Confirmed that a mighty mouse (usb 1.1 also) worked when plugged in to the keyboard, but the keyboard did not work. Moved the keyboard to another computer - no dice.

So it was a total coincidence that the only apple wired keyboard that has ever failed for me failed the first time I plugged it in to a new computer!

Thank you all - and by the way -I am loving the 6,1. Go Trashcan!

Reactions: kohlson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.