Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applechunckin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I was wondering if you guys think I possibly fried my wired apple keyboard. I have used Lysol cleaning wipes about every couple weeks or so on my apple keyboard to clean up the germs and gunk with no problems. Yesterday, it just stopped working and I am now locked out of my computer (whole other issue) since I cannot type in my password with the wired keyboard and I can't seem to sync my other Bluetooth keyboard to type in the password (probably due to needing to be logged in to activate; yes Bluetooth was on before this issue).

The keyboard was connected via USB when I cleaned using the wipes as well as all the previous times. I tested the wired keyboard on my MacBook pro and it doesn't work either. But on both computers when connected, if I toggle the caps lock key, I see a faint green light turn on and off, but not fully lit up as before.

The thing is that these are wipes, so it is not like it was saturating the keyboard by spraying cleaning solution directly on the keyboard then wiping them off with a paper towel, and as I said I have done this in the past numerous times.

Just wanted to see how likely it is that fried it by it being connected via USB. If so, in the future is best practice to disconnect the USB from the keyboard for such cleaning or is the practice of using wipes to begin with risk, connected or not?

Lastly, does anyone have any ideas to connect (so I can actually log in) using my Bluetooth apple keyboard without having to purchase a new wired keyboard? Would the newest Bluetooth keyboard apple released with the rechargeable USB connector allow me to achieve this wired connection for login or is my only choice to repurchase the wired keyboard with the numeric keys?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.